General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

I'm thinking of getting a newer Blazer...

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 06:12 PM
Starting Member
ejschultz is on a distinguished road
Default I'm thinking of getting a newer Blazer...

Any recommendations? I'd like to get either a 2004 or 2005 Xtreme or ZR2. I haven't quite made up my mind as to which I would rather have. It's going to end up coming down to what I can find and how much I want to spend. There are a few Xtremes I found somewhat locally to me on Autotrader. I'm afraid of buying one for a couple of reasons. Firstly, they scream, "Break into me!" Secondly, some kid probably had it before me, messed up all the factory wiring with his "system", and beat the **** out of it. I've always liked them though...

As for the ZR2, it's a little out of my price range for now, but it may not be when I finally make a purchase. I do likes my 4x4.

I probably won't be ready to purchase anything for the next few months as I'm trying to get a new job right now and no one is going to finance anyone who only has a couple of months on a job. It'll probably be closer to 6 months from now. I just want to start looking.

Old 09-15-2009, 08:12 PM
bandidolenny is on a distinguished road

I would definitely look for a ZR2... You get factory 31"s and 3:73 gears.

Old 09-15-2009, 10:24 PM
elementtrev is on a distinguished road

ZR2 Is where its at! unless you want a 4 door then your sh*t out of luck!

Old 09-20-2009, 01:39 PM
Starting Member

I'd rather have a 2 door than a 4 door. I don't have to drive everyone around that way. I miss my S-10 for that reason. There's some company out here in Gary that rebuilds engines and I have a couple of buddies that work there. They're willing to do a rebuild on the side for me for $400. I might do that for now and keep the Jimmy going for a little longer.

Old 09-20-2009, 04:31 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

I'd think it would be a pretty easy choice on which one to get...

once you decide what you want out of it. Night and day between the two basically.

Old 09-20-2009, 04:44 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by AJBert
I'd think it would be a pretty easy choice on which one to get...

once you decide what you want out of it. Night and day between the two basically.

Oh yeah. They're essentially completely different vehicles with the same body and engine. Like I said, I'll probably keep the Jimmy for a while after I get the engine rebuilt. I really like my truck a lot, it just knocks and that makes me want a newer one. Does anyone know what gear ratio the ZM6 Blazers/Jimmys had? The ZM6 was pretty much the predecessor to the ZR2 suspension, just not as high and 28 or 29 inch tires (235/75R15).

Old 09-20-2009, 06:01 PM
amazinnblazin is an unknown quantity at this point

ZR2 without question!

Old 09-24-2009, 02:10 AM
Nancy08 is on a distinguished road

Follow what your heart desires

I think, all were good.

"The wisest men follow their own direction." - Euripides, 484 BC-406 BC

Old 09-24-2009, 06:44 AM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

As mentioned they're at complete opposite ends of the spectrum as far as Blazers go.
You need to decide what you want more...offroad ability, or sexiness lol. ZR2 is obviously going to be a good offroader. If you plan on staying on the street and want something that looks awesome go with an xtreme (my personal favorites).
Seems like a fairly simple decision IMO since they're complete opposites.

Old 09-24-2009, 06:53 AM
BF Veteran
CraigSnedeker will become famous soon enoughCraigSnedeker will become famous soon enough

ZR2 if your an offroader, Xtreme if you like more bodykit/lowerish blazers.

Quick Reply: I'm thinking of getting a newer Blazer...