General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Insuring/Registering a "modified" vehicle in Canada

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 11:14 AM
Beginning Member
midnightrider is on a distinguished road
Default Insuring/Registering a "modified" vehicle in Canada

Hello to all of my fellow Blazer cohorts, I've got a good question for all the people who have modded out their truck and still drive it fairly frequently.
My 94 just got a fresh new crate motor, of course, it's not the v6 we're all used to and now I have to figure out how I'm going to A - register the vehicle and B- get it e-tested.....anyone gone through this here in Ontario ?!?!?!?
HELP !!!! this WAS my daily driver....
Thanks in advance, hope to hear from someone soon !
Rider

Old 02-19-2012, 01:50 PM
war00 is on a distinguished road

1) if the truck was in your name before you modded no need to worry about getting it registered.
2) to get it e tested you have to make sure that it has a cat, muffler, no leaks in the exhaust, good gas cap, not leaking oil or coolant, no engine light on, evap still hooked up. im hoping that you left it fuel injected and not swap out for a carb. than when you take it for an etest you have to tell the service writer that you have installed a different engine and they will run it as a rat rod which will give you slighty higher allowances.
hope this helps

Old 02-19-2012, 04:33 PM
Beginning Member

A rat rod ????? Seriously ??? That doesn't sound right for some reason. I know that here you have to either live in a secluded area where the population is low ( rural) or have a "classic vehicle" which I believe is older than 20 years. Did they throw that law out or something ?? Anyways, older than model year 1985 or something....I'm gonna have to check that "rat rod" theory out.....sounds cool though. Winder how that works on the Ministry end ? There must be a ton of people out there driving Rat Rods !!!
Where do you live ??

Old 02-19-2012, 06:55 PM
neo71665 will become famous soon enoughneo71665 will become famous soon enough

I'm lucky I just go put tags on it. No testing here.

I know most places require you to put an engine at least the same year as the body or nwer. So in your blazer is a 95 the engine has to be a 95+.

They then require you to keep the same injection and emmissions stuff. Some even go as far to make you located stuff like cats and o2 sensors in the same spot as they were in the donor. So if the o2 was 16 inches from the base of the manifold and the cat was under the drivers seat they have to be there.

If you didn't do your homework before you might have to rework everything or find a new dd to tow your newly built trail rig with. Always research local laws before you do anything major like this.

His location says ont. Canada so I'm gonna guess he's from Ontario.

Last edited by neo71665; 02-19-2012 at 07:00 PM.
Old 02-19-2012, 07:08 PM
neo71665 will become famous soon enoughneo71665 will become famous soon enough

This is the best I could find with a quick search. Desribed jan of last year on a forum by a guy that claimed to be a tester up there.

For anyone still interested, if you're vehicle is 1999 or older and you swap in an engine not available on your vehicle (5.0 liter Ford into a Chevy or a 350 SBC into an S-10) then you classify as a hotrod and need to pass e-test as your vehicle with 1980 specs. You're still required to have cats on your vehicle but your limits are calculated like you don't have them.

This only works for vehicles 1999 or older, after 2000 model year you have to pass.

Old 02-19-2012, 08:23 PM
Beginning Member

Wow, what a small anoying pickle this has become....If what he says is true it shouldn't be too much of a problem. I'm going to call the Ministry here and try them. Hopefully I'll talk to someone who knows something about this.
Thanks for your input guys, I'll repost my findings.
Rider

Old 02-21-2012, 06:39 AM
war00 is on a distinguished road

i live in the GTA and i use to be an emissions tester before i switched to a heavy duty mechanic. i dunno if the term "rat rod" is correct but i do remember that there was an option when selecting what engine was in it and i dunno if it was modded or rat rod they had some term for it that was for people that where putting in different engines. also another trick you can do is if its 4x4 figure out how to get it temp stuck in 4hi and when you go for the test tell them its stuck in 4hi and they will only run an idle test on it and than rev it 2500rpm for 30secs.

p.s. it just came to me its ran as a "hot rod" but it has to have all the emission stuff hooked up. what engine did you install?

Old 07-13-2012, 09:58 PM
mud_yeti87 is on a distinguished road

i currently am a certified tester. the "my transfer case is stuck in 4hi" trick doesn't work because the vehicle is supposed to be able to be spun on the dyno in 2wd, therefore it must be fixed to be run properly or the vehicle will be flagged my the MTO. the idle test 4wd part is for anyone that has the 4 button transfer case with the "4WD AUTO" function.

as for the "hot rod" part, that only applies if you've swapped in a motor that was not available in that vehicle for that year. there is no restriction to which years you're allowed to do this with.

as for the limit of which vehicles don't have to be tested, its anything that is '87 or older.

if you put in a 4.3L V6 crate motor, there is an option for that as well, but it isn't classified under the hot rod rule. there is a section that is for rebuilt/crate motors

Old 07-15-2012, 05:36 PM
Logan is on a distinguished road

Maybe I should actually read everything...lol

If the engine you installed is not offered in that vehicle in that year, its considered "hot rod" and only has a 2 stage idle test. Does not test for knox. Not some insurance companies want a list of mods, and will insure you. Others will refuse to. Mine needed an appraisal, and not the kind from a car dealer. This had to be a appraisal from a a person that specializes in vehicle appraisals and is licensed for it. My appraisal was $350 from one guy for my prelude. When doing my Blazer I found a guy who did it for $125.

Last edited by Logan; 07-15-2012 at 05:41 PM.