General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Intake Manifold Gasket?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 07:46 PM
BLK85 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Intake Manifold Gasket?

Just found out today that I need to get mine replaced. I didnt know 4.3L had the problem with these like other GM cars and trucks, oh well.

I was just curious who has replaced theres. Post year and mileage.

Mine is a 99 and has 75k.

Old 02-26-2008, 08:51 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Intake Manifold Gasket?

I replaced mine in my old '00 Bravada at 87k I think...

Old 02-27-2008, 02:21 AM
BF Veteran
thegr81 is on a distinguished road

I replaced mine at 105,000 and its an 01!!! Felpro pinto gaskets baby is the way to go!!!

Old 02-27-2008, 05:00 AM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

Actually, it appears GM has released updated aluminum gaskets, which I believe stops the problem of dex-cool eating holes in them...

I hope my new engine comes with the new gaskets, lol.

Old 02-27-2008, 10:17 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Come on there Dennis, we don't need to pull this into another Dexcool thread. We already have a thread for this discussion. It is known that there was a material incompatibility with the intake gaskets used on many v6 engines including the 4.3L. Dexcool does not eat the gasket. In some, the over molded o-ring material swells, cracking the plastic shell which results in a leak. I have seen this in both 100% dexcool engines and most recently in 100% green (EG) engines. But that is outside the bounds of what the OP was asking in this thread.

For anyone doing this repair or any work resulting in the replacement of the lower intake manifold gaskets, Fel-pro also has the updated metal framed gaskets which are available through PN MS98002T - shown HERE.

Old 02-27-2008, 04:20 PM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

My bad, force of habit...

But GM did release improved gaskets as well...

So I guess it's just a question on pricing for the new style gaskets.

Old 02-27-2008, 05:00 PM
Millertime21 is an unknown quantity at this point

I just replaced mine on my 96 at 135k, but I think it was done once before

Old 02-27-2008, 07:38 PM
BLK85 is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: drperry

My mechanic told me they do have new gaskets that are supposed to fix the problem for good. Dont ask me why GM didnt do this from the start, but thats another dicussion.

Includeing parts and labor it will cost around $400.

Old 02-27-2008, 07:40 PM
Millertime21 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thats not bad. When mine when out I was quoted between $550-600. Thats when I decided to just do it myself.

Old 02-28-2008, 05:44 AM
BF Veteran

ORIGINAL: BLK85

ORIGINAL: drperry

My mechanic told me they do have new gaskets that are supposed to fix the problem for good. Dont ask me why GM didnt do this from the start, but thats another dicussion.

Includeing parts and labor it will cost around $400.
Probably took awhile for them to think about the issue...

I hope my new engine comes with the new gaskets

Quick Reply: Intake Manifold Gasket?