General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

interesting thought perhaps?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 08:03 PM
wheninromeSDS is on a distinguished road
Default interesting thought perhaps?

Sorry I didn't know what to name this, I have a blazer (0bviously xD), and love it, but I love trucks. I have a 4 door, and got to thinking, could I maybe turn the back hatch of my blazer into a truck type thing? My thought, is that I remove the carpet and the jack, then bed line it, and somehow use a truck bed extender cage (the type of thing you put on your truck bed with the tailgate down to give you an extra foot or two) to put on the back seats with them folded down. Then, I would essentially have a standard cab with a cap right? lol

If you follow me, my concerns are that the panels that come down when you put the back seats down that make it so anything you put in the truck isn't on the seats. I'm not quite sure what to do about those... or for that matter, if there is anything under the carpet in the back such as wiring.

The reason I want to do this is because I am an avid hunter, and also love mudding. This would allow me to put things in my truck without having to worry about the carpet getting stained or gross, and would allow for very easy cleaning. I essentially want to be able to hose it out.

if you followed all of that ridiculously long windedness, then feel free to let me know what you think. happy driving!

Old 05-03-2012, 10:37 PM
Starting Member
tripovermyego is on a distinguished road
Old 05-03-2012, 11:45 PM

yeah i saw that, i'm not meaning chopping my blazer, just taking the carpet out. lol

Old 05-03-2012, 11:54 PM
Starting Member
tripovermyego is on a distinguished road

Ahh I got ya.

Old 05-03-2012, 11:59 PM
4x4blazerguy is on a distinguished road

I know you have the hose for the rear window washer under the carpet. But that could be move. Post pictures if you do it. If your worried about support over the rear seats Build a cage out of metal that bolts to the floor then lay a piece of metal from it to the solid part of the bed. Or for that matter just remove the seats to have storage under the plate. Just my two cents.

Old 05-04-2012, 11:00 AM
Starting Member
91chevywt is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't see why it wouldn't work, I'm wondering if maybe you could use one of those plastic drop-in bed liners from like a 6ft bed S10 and just throw it in there with the seats down. Maybe cut the sides down a bit so it's not as tall. But then you could probably rinse the liner out, and not have to gut your interior.

Old 05-04-2012, 04:41 PM

all great ideas. and thanks 4x4blazerguy. I just found another problem with it, so now that idea is on hold, but I will post pics in a few weeks when I do it!

Darn thing has trouble starting now xD