General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Issues with 2003 Chevy Blazer

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 05:16 PM
Starting Member
kmartin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Issues with 2003 Chevy Blazer

I got my 2003 Chevy Blazer in 2006. It had 32,900 miles on it then. Being low mileage I thought I would less problems. I got a 1993 Chevy S-10 4x4 in 1996. It had over 66,000miles on it. Interesting enough my Blazer cost me more in the first 3 years then the S-10 did, although the S-10 was not exactly problem free. First of all, I done more preventive maintenance, and more wear and tear, as most of that came due then it did on the S-10. My first problem was I had to replace my O2 downdraft sensors at only 44,000 miles. With in the first year my starter started acting up very minimally. Until it got worse when it was diagnosed the starter itself and replaced at 51,000 miles. Then what took the cake was my distributor cap and wires were arcing causing a no start 2 days ago. The distributor, wires, and spark plugs got replaced at 57,300 miles. I think those items should of lasted longer then that. Whats going on? Do you think I should get rid of my Blazer before anything goes wrong. I am hoping that I can make it with minimal problems after this, or is it heading down hill at a very young age?

Old 04-23-2009, 05:43 PM
mech cb is on a distinguished road

Well, I hate to tell you this since it's a little late, but my buddy had the same problem with his distributor cap arcing with the points. I went in there with a flat-head screw driver(hey, it's all I had at the time) and cleaned them up-his truck now purrs like a kitten. It's been fine for the last two months now.

As far as your other issues, I'd see if you can find a small mechanic shop that will be willing to check your vehicle out for you. Just tell them that you're thinking about buying it and would like to have it looked over. I find that when you do that, they're more likely to tell you the truth since they won't be trying to get you to let them "fix" it.

Old 04-23-2009, 08:09 PM
Starting Member

Great. Set me back $500. But the mechanic showed me the old distributor cap and showed it was rusty and worn. He told me the reason it would not start was because the spark was jumping from the wire to the intake manifold. Well at least I got a new distributor that will work for a while.
Well, my question, is why did my starter and distributor cap have such a short life?

Old 04-24-2009, 02:18 AM
BF Veteran
kiwiblazer is on a distinguished road

Like us humans - some short, some long! LOL

Old 04-24-2009, 05:01 PM

You sure it was rusty and not just dirty? It sounds like there was more of a problem than just a worn distributor and wire jumping an arc. Even once worn down, your distributor isn't supposed to be able rub on anything. So how did that wire get worn down to let the spark jump?

Also, and this is a general question to anyone-aren't the intakes nowadays made of aluminum? I've never torn apart a newer engine, so I don't know.

As far as the starter goes-did he say what went wrong with it?

Old 04-24-2009, 07:20 PM
Starting Member

I have confident my starter was an issue. I had it replaced and never a starter problem again. In fact, before my mechanic replaced it, it didn't start. He hit the starter with a hammer and it starter. It got replaced by a remanufactured one so no he did not say. Well, what ever was wrong with the distributor, the problem is now gone. I am just going to keep vehicle and hope for the best.

Old 04-24-2009, 07:39 PM
Starting Member

I have confident my starter was an issue. I had it replaced and never a starter problem again. In fact, before my mechanic replaced it, it didn't start. He hit the starter with a hammer and it starter. It got replaced by a re manufactured one so no he did not say. Well, what ever was wrong with the distributor, the problem is now gone. I am just going to keep vehicle and hope for the best.

Old 04-25-2009, 11:53 AM

Oh, it was a rebuilt starter? Ehh, it's normal for rebuilt parts to have issues. That's just a chance you take with them.