General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Just got a 01 blazer off craigslist but...

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2013, 11:42 PM
Beginning Member
Shtbox is on a distinguished road
Default Just got a 01 blazer off craigslist but...

Well this is my first post on blazer forum and like every other new guy I hope this is the right area.anywho,so I just picked up a 01 blazer 2 dr v6 5 speed victory red 4 wheel disk yea it's quite swift lol.So at work I put it on the lift to weld up this flow master that my brother had laying around and took a look at the oil filter and It had a date on there of 12-16-11 wtf to that!!how do you go 2 years without changing the oil filter much less the oil I drained it and it came out like some old syrup at the Waffle House ha.Now I feel kinda stupid for testing the motor past normal driving conditions haha

Old 12-07-2013, 11:47 PM
Beginning Member
Old 12-08-2013, 12:10 AM
Starting Member
Badco is on a distinguished road

Guy coulda changed the oil and not the filter. Im assuming you changed them both LOL

Might wanna keep an eye on your dipstick for crusties every week. Even if its still clear, if it feels sticky/grindy change it. Metal grindings = bad jubejubes

Old 12-08-2013, 12:18 AM
Beginning Member

Yea I hear ya badco Iol I'm gonna drive it for a week then change it again next Saturday it looked black still after I changed it.just using bulk 10w30 at work so yea cheap oil as far price goes.

Old 12-08-2013, 12:20 AM
Beginning Member

Craigslist special lol

Old 12-08-2013, 12:44 AM
Starting Member
Badco is on a distinguished road

Does the drain pan have a magnetic bolt? It may not be significant but it may help in collecting SOME crap. There might be a thread around here on a full engine oil drain, IIRC the engine still holds some oil, so there should be a way to get a little more out of the oil changes.

Old 12-08-2013, 01:02 AM
Beginning Member

O yea good Idea ill search and see if I can find it thanks for the tip

Old 12-09-2013, 08:57 AM
sickman420 is on a distinguished road

2 years? ****, its got at least another 5 till it needs changed.

Old 12-09-2013, 09:04 PM
ohsofly will become famous soon enoughohsofly will become famous soon enough

Pour a litre of diesel in the crankcase and drive it to work then change the oil. Diesel lubes, and cleans like hot damn!

Old 12-13-2013, 05:20 PM
jimspahr@msn.com is on a distinguished road

Don't use diesel or a commercial auto flush from an AZ or Adv Auto. Just use a shortened oil change interval, say 500 miles, and change the oil and filter. Look carefully at the oil at this change! On this oil change, I would use a good synthetic oil with a high quality filter or it you feel that there is still a lot of crud or sludge in the oil, go to www.bobitistheoilguy.com aka BITOG.com and try a treatment for neglected engines called Auto Rx. It will clean the sludge, varnish, and so on from those years of neglect. This may help you get years of use out of the sturdy 4.3 V6 before you have to get an overhaul. This Auto Rx is a cleanser and not a solvent like the diesel fuel or commercial flushes from the parts stores.

Quick Reply: Just got a 01 blazer off craigslist but...