General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

K&N vs Everything else?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 08:33 PM
Brian_D will become famous soon enoughBrian_D will become famous soon enough
Default K&N vs Everything else?

I wanna get a Cold air intake but i dont wanna spend 300 bucks atm.

My question is,

How do the cheaper cold air intakes hold up to the K&N?

Thanks for any advise.

edit: the stock intake pretty much looks like a cold air with a box around the air filter..

whats the difference?

Last edited by Brian_D; 04-29-2010 at 09:03 PM.
Old 04-29-2010, 08:45 PM
BF Veteran
Benedict1337 will become famous soon enough

they are all pretty much a pipe with a cone filter and a heat shield. you could make your own for pretty cheap. I think it cost me $50 for the filter air duct pipe and sheet metal. now I ended up taking it out because it sucks up water like crazy when I got 4 wheeling.

Old 04-29-2010, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by Benedict1337
they are all pretty much a pipe with a cone filter and a heat shield. you could make your own for pretty cheap. I think it cost me $50 for the filter air duct pipe and sheet metal. now I ended up taking it out because it sucks up water like crazy when I got 4 wheeling.

yeah i figured that was probably the case but when the k&n is so much more
it makes me think it has to be magical or something.

hehe.

Old 04-29-2010, 10:50 PM
BF Veteran

well if you think about it the k&n filter alone is $60. then you have the custom fit heat shield and the perfect match pipes before and after the sensor. it adds up pretty quickly. the rubber pipe that comes stock is pretty much the same thing the k&n one. all that you really need is a bent pipe from the sensor to the filter and a heat shield or else you are just sucking in hot air and better off with the stock airbox. if you like k&n (I like k&n) then you can get just the cone filter and make the rest yourself and save some money. or you could get a k&n drop in filter and save yourself some headaches because a cold air intake does minimal improvements on your performance anyway. If you're not so good with the sheet metal you can always cut the front of your stock air box and drop the cone filter in the airbox. make sure you leave a little bit of the top of the front left when you cut the front out so the air box can still be secured. (I cut the front and side of and it didn't stay put very good) experimentation is always good. especially because if you goof a new air box is only $20. I'll try and get you some pictures if you are interested in trying to make one yourself

Last edited by Benedict1337; 04-29-2010 at 10:54 PM.
Old 04-29-2010, 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by Benedict1337
well if you think about it the k&n filter alone is $60. then you have the custom fit heat shield and the perfect match pipes before and after the sensor. it adds up pretty quickly. the rubber pipe that comes stock is pretty much the same thing the k&n one. all that you really need is a bent pipe from the sensor to the filter and a heat shield or else you are just sucking in hot air and better off with the stock airbox. if you like k&n (I like k&n) then you can get just the cone filter and make the rest yourself and save some money. or you could get a k&n drop in filter and save yourself some headaches because a cold air intake does minimal improvements on your performance anyway. If you're not so good with the sheet metal you can always cut the front of your stock air box and drop the cone filter in the airbox. make sure you leave a little bit of the top of the front left when you cut the front out so the air box can still be secured. (I cut the front and side of and it didn't stay put very good) experimentation is always good. especially because if you goof a new air box is only $20. I'll try and get you some pictures if you are interested in trying to make one yourself
oh yeah pics would be great.

thanks for the help.

Old 04-30-2010, 05:20 PM
RangerG will become famous soon enoughRangerG will become famous soon enough

You could also buy one of these and toss it in.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1999-...Q5fAccessories

I believe there are a few people on here that have that exact one. I think if you searched for CAI or Cold Air there is a pretty good thread discussing the K&N, ebay, Spectre and other intakes.

Old 05-01-2010, 12:59 AM
BF Veteran

remember the ebay ones don't come with a heat shield.

Old 05-01-2010, 01:48 AM

yeah def need the heat shield. lets see some pics

Old 05-01-2010, 02:13 PM
RangerG will become famous soon enoughRangerG will become famous soon enough

I have this thread bookmarked:

https://blazerforum.com/forum/showth...ht=heat+shield

It's a good read. All you really need to do is cut a cardboard box to fit how you want it, then copy the template in sheet metal.

Old 05-01-2010, 02:21 PM
Phil is on a distinguished road

Thats how mine is set up, similar to what Benedict was saying. I have a 3.5" pipe, heatshield, and a Spectre filter.

Quick Reply: K&N vs Everything else?