General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Keep or not? (Decided on NOT!!!)

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 09:07 PM
Starting Member
96Ls4Dr is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Keep or not? (Decided on NOT!!!)

Well it's time again to play the game of keep it or get a newer vehicle...

Our 96 4dr 4x4 with 183K miles is asking for more parts. [:@]

It's body is in great shape... Needs repainted but no rust or dents
The frame is in great shape too as far as I could tell..

Problems are...

1 Engine is leaking oil from somewhere in back ( It looks like)
2 The tranny is leaking somewhere. (I think I might have figured that one out)
3 Reverse lights don't work
4 Some kind of wurring noise coming from what seems like the rear but sometimes its everywhere. (it goes up anddown with the RPM's and is not noticable if your not touching the gas
5 Rear wiper works sometimes (usually gets stuck mid wipe)
6 Interior needs work.. Nothing we can't live with but would be nice to fix.
7 Think it needs new shocks and bushings everywhere.
8 Idler arm

I think thats it, but I'll type more if I find more...

Old 10-20-2008, 06:13 AM
mysons95 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Need Advice.... Keep or not?

Is it your primary driver...or even your secondary? If so, perhaps replacing it might be better.

But, if it`s your off road machine...keep it for the minor cost of insurance and beat the crap out of it! lol, sort of kidding, but you get the point. Use it as your primary OFF-ROAD vehicle.

EDIT: You won't get enough out of it to make it worth selling with all those problems if you plan on disclosing them to the buyer, which I would. I'll bet you would regret it if you sold it.

Old 10-20-2008, 05:25 PM
Starting Member

Well the Blazer is my wifes vehicle. She really wants to keep it because it's paid-off. She uses it to go back and forth to work and also for taking the people she cares for to their doctor appts.

She would rather see us keep it but she also knows that it's gonna be a guessing game of whats gonna break next and how much is it gonna cost...

The local Kia dealer is giving $4000 for ANY trade towards the purcace of a "red tag" vehicle (there are new and used red taged vehicles) that change almost daily.
We'd do that but she only wants payments $150 or less (not much to choose from)

Old 10-20-2008, 05:47 PM
Banned
Duntov is an unknown quantity at this point

GET RID OF IT. The resale value of a Blazer is one of the worst in the used car market.That is why 85% of the used Bazersbecome off-road vehicles only. There are so many things that can be damaged and can failon1st and 2nd generation Blazerscompared to other GM vehicles. Many of the itemsthat will fail on a Blazerwill requirespecial knowledge, parts and equipmentto repair.If you put any money in that Blazer besides general maintenance such as tires, fluid changes, tune ups, engine oilchanges, wash and waxing, it is just like throwing the money away because you will never get a return on your investment.

For example...It does not take any special knowledge or equipent tocompletely rebuild your brakes,buttry bleeding your ABS modulator valve if it happens to get air in it! That is a at least a $90 job IF you can find a independent garage mechanic whoknows how to do it.You can always take it to a Chevrolet dealership....yeah sure.

It is not like a '57 Chevy thatanyone-armed blind man can fix.

Old 10-21-2008, 09:33 AM
Beginning Member
zokalr13 is an unknown quantity at this point

i thought a FORD EXPLORER was the worst for resale value ??? all vehicles are bad investments -unless you got a mint muscle car or hot rod ,or classic in the garage...i love my 96 BLAZER and ill put $$$ into it -unlike my last truck, which was one of those dang EXPLORERS.......

Old 10-21-2008, 08:41 PM
Starting Member

Well I'm gonna try to get the wife to look at some cars....

These are at another dealer that is giving $4000 any trade....

What do you guys think about these?

04 Malibu LS V6 w/ 55K miles.... $10K

04 Grand Prix GT w/40K miles..... $11k

05 Impala LS w/Sport pkg 35K miles...... $13K

Old 10-21-2008, 08:56 PM
bigjoeblaze is an unknown quantity at this point

If you it in go with the Grand prix but personally keep the blazer

Old 10-21-2008, 11:27 PM
Beginning Member
zokalr13 is an unknown quantity at this point

those choices are fine, but i thought your wife uses her vehicle to aid or drive people..so getting patients in/out ofa car is not fun..so i suggest a minivan or suv and nows a good time to buy a vehicle,as the economy is tanked -so the dealerships are more than willing to sell -i know this because i went last month around to car lots and i was the only guy looking and got call- backs so they where desparate!! good luck and dont waste too much $$$ on vehicles [except on motorcycles] [X(]

Old 10-22-2008, 01:25 AM
Starting Member
Kage0113 is an unknown quantity at this point

Get the giant Suburban in the background pic of the Impala lol. Does she not want another Blazer? I suggest buying a cheap one then because I believe in 2010, chevy is coming out with a car called the Volt. It can go 40 miles without using a single drop of gas. And that is how it is every time you charge it. That thing is gonna be worth it's weight in gold. So I would get something cheap, but does it's job, then spend the money to get a volt. It'll probably be expensive, but if she drives patients around she would save a TON on paying for gas. Oh, and I'd suggest getting the Pontiac. They are really nice vehicles and are pretty roomy. I like them.

Old 10-22-2008, 05:44 AM
mysons95 is an unknown quantity at this point

The impala is a nice car. My daily driver is an '06.

But the one in the picture seems pricey. I paid $15,000 for mine in Dec. of 2006. So, it was a year old with only 17,000 mi.

Quick Reply: Keep or not? (Decided on NOT!!!)