General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Leaky heater cores suck, any moral support out there?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2015, 07:10 PM
Beginning Member
Donpedro is on a distinguished road
Default Leaky heater cores suck, any moral support out there?

I hate plastic parts, and tiny screw, and screwing with the major safety components on an otherwise functional vehicle. So my current task is really beating me up.

I need some moral support, any other folks out there that hate replacing the heater core? Wha tdo you wish you knew before you started.

Old 03-07-2015, 09:19 AM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Nobody "likes" doing them. Each one that I do, I swear it will be the last one. My suggestion is find a buddy to help you. Take your time, take lots of pictures, mark the connectors with masking tape and label them. Keep track of the screws, stick 'em in an old butter tub, or a jar etc and mark where they go. The instrument panel does not need to be totally removed from the vehicle, but it gives you way more room and makes life easier if you do. The steering column just needs to be lowered down and rested on the seat, no need to remove it. While it's all apart, check all of the vacuum actuators, blend doors, and vacuum lines. If you've never done a heater core on one of these, plan on 8+ hours.

Old 03-07-2015, 09:55 AM
Beginning Member

Thanks Captain Hook, I appreciate your support.

Old 03-07-2015, 09:56 AM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

I know your frustration, and I feel your pain, been there countless times.

Old 03-07-2015, 07:10 PM
Beginning Member

Well, I have the old core out! Taking a break then getting back after it, thanks for the encouragement.

Old 03-07-2015, 07:14 PM

You're half way there. Now comes the challenging part.... making all the plugs and screws go back where they belong How was that bolt on the bottom of the heater case Might need an assistant to get the case bolted to the firewall.

Old 03-07-2015, 10:59 PM
Beginning Member

I took some pretty good pictures of the plugs and organized the screws on a scrap of cardboard. Luckily the heater box got back on fine once I noticed the heater vents that wanted to tuck into the floor...

My wife got home mid-replacement so I might be done for the night, but the heater box is bolted back up so now I just need to get the dash back in position without pinching anything.

Old 03-08-2015, 12:11 PM
Starting Member
rxjimmy is on a distinguished road

I feel your pain. Just went thru that myself. Those floor vents really fooled me for a long time. I couldn't figure it out at first. Then my wife noticed them from the other side. Things should go pretty well from there on. Just take your time and double check everything as you go. that knee panel under the steering wheel took me about 5 times before I got it done. Then a few days later, had to remove it to R&R the brake switch. It was easy then. I had all the experience!

Old 03-09-2015, 11:29 AM
Beginning Member

Well I got it all put together. It took me a while and not a little spilled coolant to get the system burped, but she's driving with heat, all gauges, 4x4, all working. Feels good to have it done, doesn't seem as hard once you've seen it all come apart. Thanks for the encouragement guys. I am going to post a thread with all of the links I found helpful for the job.

Old 03-09-2015, 12:43 PM
Starting Member
JavierEscalonJr is on a distinguished road

Last time I replaced the heater core I removed the nuts holding the dash with my left arm and doing everything else with my right arm. Needless to say it was heavy, now my whole dash is being held on by 2 or 3 screws. Hardest part was trying to put the heater core and cover with one hand😁

Quick Reply: Leaky heater cores suck, any moral support out there?