General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

LED Taillight info needed

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 11:13 PM
BF Veteran
kiwiblazer is on a distinguished road
Default LED Taillight info needed

Hi Guys,

I'm wanting to import a set of LED tails - see link. 1995-2004 CHEVY BLAZER LED ALTEZZA TAIL LIGHTS BLACK 96 | eBay

Problem I'm having is that there is no indication what the ring of LED lights are. Stop, tail or turns?

Reading through some posts I read that there are issues with them melting but I'm not sure if we're talking about the same lights.

Do the ones on e-bay have the LED's as stop, tail or turn?

If it's the turns then there will be issues with rapid flashing. If it's the tails, (ring of LED's) then this should be good. But why the melting issue?

Also, the top seems to have a reflector leaving only the one below.

I don't want to spend $150 & then not be able to use them.

Old 12-27-2011, 11:20 PM
tibby has a spectacular aura abouttibby has a spectacular aura about
Default .

Originally Posted by kiwiblazer
Hi Guys,

I'm wanting to import a set of LED tails - see link. 1995-2004 CHEVY BLAZER LED ALTEZZA TAIL LIGHTS BLACK 96 | eBay

Problem I'm having is that there is no indication what the ring of LED lights are. Stop, tail or turns?

Reading through some posts I read that there are issues with them melting but I'm not sure if we're talking about the same lights.

Do the ones on e-bay have the LED's as stop, tail or turn?

If it's the turns then there will be issues with rapid flashing. If it's the tails, (ring of LED's) then this should be good. But why the melting issue?

Also, the top seems to have a reflector leaving only the one below.

I don't want to spend $150 & then not be able to use them.
The only reason people's taillights were melting because they installed an led taillight with stock bulbs. Since you know led's give less heat, the stock bulbs gave more, so the stock bulbs got too hot and melted the led tails. So long story short, use led tails with led bulbs.

If I can find Ranger G's blaze around here somewhere, we can figure this issue out. I'm thinking stop though, but let me find his blaze in his garage.

Edit: After looking at Ranger G's garage and posts, it looks like you can wire them to whichever you want. But it looks like running might be the way to go. So the ring lights up whenever your tails are on.

Last edited by tibby; 12-27-2011 at 11:27 PM. Reason: Change stuff
Old 12-28-2011, 12:28 AM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

I have the same lights & the running lights are on the center bulb, a reg. halogen. Tibby was right that you need to run an LED replacement for the 3157 or 3156 (can't remember which it is) because the heat from the reg. bulb DOES in fact melt that red plastic "cup" in the center.
I'll check Weds. & see which the LED's are used for, I'm pretty sure they're turn & brake. The center bulb as well as the LED ring-o-lights light up when the brakes are on. I know that for sure.

Old 12-28-2011, 01:31 AM
BF Veteran

Thanks guys, I'll wait to hear back before ordering.

If you can, let me know what bulbs to order with it.

Old 12-28-2011, 03:59 PM
BF Veteran

On mine the running lights are the center bulbs. Turn, hazard & brakes = everything on. That's why the center red "cups" are melting where they clip into the housing. The regular incandesent bulbs are always on when the headlights are on & they throw a lot more heat than a LED.
I'm not sure if they're 3156 or 3157, Sylvania has a chart for what bulb goes where & so do many other sites like ones on ebay etc... tons of them.
Top bulb may be a 3156 & the bottom one may be the 3157.

Old 12-28-2011, 10:18 PM
pj5454302 will become famous soon enough

I have these tail lights on james and I love the look, But a few things to look out for.

These things are made out of the cheapest plastic known to man(im serious) the mounting tabs will snap if you look at them to much( ok not that weak) but if you have to be EXTREMLY CARFULL when tighting the screws to hold them in or the tabs will break.
Second thing about 8 months after purchase the lense randomly fell off one of the lights. I got home from work and it had litteraly been flapping in the breeze on the highway. SO i siliconed it back in and no issues since.

Just some things to be aware of.

Old 12-28-2011, 11:09 PM
BF Veteran

Yup I agree, currently I'm running a DS complete & a PS without the clear outer lens (it's on the streets of Winnipeg somewhere). The summer heat made the crap they used as a adhesive/sealent weaken & it fell off.
As for the tabs, BOTH only have 1 tab holding the tail light in place.

Be carefull, check the sealent, use LED center lights & only tighten as much as works! <---- Then they'll be fine lol

Another thought - ask the ebay seller if they're aware of these issues & if they've done anything about them.

Old 12-28-2011, 11:20 PM
BF Veteran

One thing to note. The Jap blazers have standard bayonet type bulbs on the rear lights whereas the US ones (I think) have the bulbs with the flat base (my front turn signals are - but not the rear). If this is true then I'll need to find the correct bulb holders to go with them.
I have not been able to source LED bulbs here or on e-bay with the bayonet fitting.

Old 12-28-2011, 11:39 PM
BF Veteran

G'morning Ken... have you tried the all powerfull Google?
I know my rear lights have a "flat" base, meaning a flat plastic piece with a wire flipped around one side and then the other. I'm not sure on the "bayonet" style but I'm sure to google it lol

Googled & bayonet is Google Image Result for http://www.thetoolboxshop.com/ekmps/shops/adrcomponents/images/ab209-12v-5w-209-double-contact-equal-bayonet-automotive-bulb-8587-p.jpg

I have no idea what's stock on your vehicle. An owners manual might help but the 3156 & 3157 lights will not work.

Sorry bro

Last edited by Rottidog; 12-28-2011 at 11:43 PM.
Old 12-29-2011, 12:58 AM
BF Veteran

This is the bulb holder on the Jap Blazers.

The locally available bulb suppliers (Narva) do not make LED versions - yet!

With all the imported tails I've got, they all have (obviously) 3 bulb holders - we've got a forth one (for the rear fog lights). My bulb holders (or whatever you call them) have never fitted correctly as the tabs are different so changing a blown bulb is usually a challenge to force it through the tab slots

Anyway, since I only use the three bulbs with the aftermarket tails, what I need to do is get hold of a set of tail light harnesses from the States. I have looked on e-bay but not found any. I did a while ago but the seller would not ship international.

So if anyone is willing to get a set (or 2) from a local junkyard & post them to me will be greatly appreciated. I have a PayPal account, so I can send the cash through no problem - just let me know the cost. (Send as a "gift" - less hassle through customs)

So anyone willing to help, please drop me a PM.

FYI, there is no real need here for the rear fogs - or the front ones for that matter

Quick Reply: LED Taillight info needed