General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Is it legal to sell a lightly used cat?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 09:21 AM
Starting Member
S10Blazer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is it legal to sell a lightly used cat?

Hello everyone, I have a Magnaflow direct fit cat, that was only on the truck for about 2-3 months. It is a Federal emission cat, part number 23455. The reason why I am selling it is because my truck is California emissions, not Federal. I wanted to know if it is legal to sell this cat, because I do not want to get in trouble.

Old 01-31-2010, 09:32 AM
cbr995 will become famous soon enoughcbr995 will become famous soon enough

I was thrown off by the title at first. lol

I believe it's illegal to sell a used catalytic converter.

Old 01-31-2010, 09:42 AM
Starting Member

Ok, thats good to know. Would it still be illegal if I gave it in to a junkyard and got some money for it? It's a real shame, cause it's basically brand new, and it sounded great on my truck. It cost me $195 on Summit Racing. I already replaced it with a California emissions one from Magnaflow also.

Old 01-31-2010, 10:26 AM
Starting Member
1oldK5 is on a distinguished road

It's only truly illegal if you get caught.

Old 01-31-2010, 10:30 AM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

junkyard will take it... there are scrappers who deal in those things. though the aftermarket cats you usually dont get squat for. if you have a old giant one off like a fullsized pick up truck you can get like 40-50 bucks. last time i gave a aftermarket cat away i got $5. this is one of those things where you can just hang onto it till someone you know needs it or give it to someone who will use it. probably aint worth anything to a junkyard

Old 01-31-2010, 10:33 AM
Starting Member

Ok, thanks for the info.

Old 01-31-2010, 10:41 AM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future

This is one of those word of mouth things. Tell some friends you're looking to get rid of this Cat, and they may tell someone who knows someone who needs one... get my drift? lol.

Old 01-31-2010, 10:54 AM
hubert hefner is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by oktain
This is one of those word of mouth things. Tell some friends you're looking to get rid of this Cat, and they may tell someone who knows someone who needs one... get my drift? lol.
x2. I wouldn't junk it. I didn't know that it was illegal to sell a used cat, b/c a junk yard will sell you a used one to put on your car.

Old 01-31-2010, 11:12 AM
Starting Member

Yea, I might as well hold on to it until someone needs it. My brother has a black blazer just like mine, but his is a 2000. From what I've seen on Magnaflow's website, his cat is different from this one.

Old 01-31-2010, 12:17 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by cbr995
I was thrown off by the title at first. lol

that makes two of us!

what were you asking for it?

i wonder what it would cost to have it shipped to Ontario, Canada?

Quick Reply: Is it legal to sell a lightly used cat?