General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Lift Laws and other requirements by state

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 08:09 AM
Starting Member
98HeavyChevy is on a distinguished road
Post Lift Laws and other requirements by state

After installing my grille guard I read that some states were trying to outlaw them. So I did some looking as to the legality in NYS. Appearantly they tried passing a law a few years ago, but it didn't pass. I also found this link that gives vehicle laws by state. http://www.liftlaws.com/new_york_lift_laws.htm

I linked it to NYS, but you can click around to find other states.

Old 01-16-2011, 09:21 AM
cochran07 is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't understand why they'd try to outlaw gril guards? Lift laws have been around since before I started driving. Hell GAs lift law states your bumper can only be 2" above or below stock size. But how many cops do you know that's going to carry a tape measure and a book with every trucks stock dimensions? The only thing they really care about here is if your tires are wider than your fenders since that's a legit danger of rocks or other road debris. Now before someone starts the argument of big rigs they are supposed to have mudflaps that are SUPPOSED to be sufficent enough for road debris. I did a lot of research on this stuff in CO when I owned my "almost" street legal rock crawler with open rear wheels. But in CO no one cares really. Anyways sorry for the book but this is stuff I've researched for the places I've lived.

Old 01-16-2011, 09:48 AM
Starting Member

The grille guard issue is claimed to be a safely hazard to the occupant (restricts crumple zones and reduces air bag effectiveness). There was also a claim that they caused more damage to other drivers vehicles and put steel bars higher up potentially causing more bodily injury to other people (drivers and pedestrians). The crossbars over the headlights are said to reduce headlight effectiveness as well.

I'm not inclined to believe these claims myself. Notice how high up bumpers are are on large pick-ups? Can't be any worse for my blazer to have the guard on it compared to these behemoth trucks on the road.

Old 01-17-2011, 02:51 PM
stevo is an unknown quantity at this point

i thought this was kinda funny
in kentucky vehicles have a max size of 96 inchs wide, 11 feet 6 inchs tall, and 26 feet 6 inch long.

that would be one huge mo fo

Old 01-17-2011, 03:00 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by stevo
i thought this was kinda funny
in kentucky vehicles have a max size of 96 inchs wide, 11 feet 6 inchs tall, and 26 feet 6 inch long.

that would be one huge mo fo
How did they arrive at those dimentions? Did some one really try to drive something bigger than that???!!!

Old 01-17-2011, 03:12 PM
Starting Member

I just came across some info on a Jeep forum relating to how far tires can extend beyond the flares.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f160/...-state-987621/

Oblcktj6 wrote; I just passed inspection with this, so no there are not any tire coverage laws. The law actually states that only commercial vehicles and trucks, I believe, have to have their tires covered.

Black Bellamy replied; Yes, you're correct. I just got off the phone with the DMV Technical Services Unit 518-474-5282 (#4) and I was told NYS does not have any kind of requirements concerning tire coverage on non-commercial vehicles

So, using the 2wd rims I like WILL NOT be illegal and prevent my truck from being inspectable in April (which was my only concern).

Last edited by 98HeavyChevy; 01-18-2011 at 06:41 AM. Reason: removing the hot link images (smilies)
Old 01-17-2011, 08:30 PM
cochran07 is an unknown quantity at this point

Every state is different on their laws. And 98% of cops don't enforce the stupid laws. And if they outlaw brushguards are they going to outlaw like the road armor bumpers? Because one of those will sure as hell do more damage to another vehicle than the stock bumper.

Old 01-17-2011, 08:59 PM
BF Veteran
Benedict1337 will become famous soon enough

in PA I believe the bumper doesn't have to be a certain height but the headlights can only be so far from the ground. another thing I figured out was that lift shackles can only be 2" longer than stock, I think add a leafs work better anyway, but then again I have both...

Old 01-17-2011, 09:07 PM
chevytruckdood is on a distinguished road

the off road amgazine i subscribe to has been doing a write up the past few months of current different states lift laws..............

Old 01-17-2011, 10:01 PM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

this has come up before. i know Australia had made a push to ban grille guards from cities a while back. dont know if it stuck or not...

For Oregon our only laws regarding lift is nothing taller than 14" at it's highest point, and head lights may not be more than 54" off the ground. Thats it. no drop hitches, no mud flaps, nothin'... just like God intended for lift.

heres a write up (down and dirty) on most states <-- not set in stone, but there it is.

Last edited by ABN31B; 01-17-2011 at 10:04 PM.

Quick Reply: Lift Laws and other requirements by state