General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

A list of common annoying S-10 Blazer quirks.

Old 12-20-2006, 06:00 PM
00blackblazer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: A list of common annoying S-10 Blazer quirks.

ive found out recently if you remove the front tires doing the spark plugs is so much easier when going through the wheel well. alot easier than fighting with the steering shaft and brake lines

Old 12-20-2006, 11:58 PM
swearingsailor6 is an unknown quantity at this point

I also went at it through the wheel well, I tried to pull the steering knuckle, but there is a stupid plastic cap that covers the entire thing that I couldn't figure out how to remove, so I jacked her up, and it took me more time to find the wrench that it did to get them out....
problems I have had so far...only owned it for a couple of weeks now..

1.passenger side window motor is pretty much OOC,
2.hood latch cable works, but I have to jerk it pretty hard, then have to pound on the hood to get it to pop up
3. Vacuum Lines, had to replace all of them
4.the rear glass popper on the keyless entry remote only works sometimes

I can't really complain too much about the plugs, I own a 1994 Camaro Z28 and it is near impossible to get to the plugs on that sucker...take the blazer's plugs, and multiply the difficulty factor by about 5. took me about 6 hrs to do all 8...and that was the fastest I have ever done them. The first time, I was renting a stall at an auto shop, and I had to keep the car there overnight because I couldn't get one of the plugs back in.

Im sure that I will be replacing alot of parts in the future, just the same as I did with my camaro.

Old 12-21-2006, 12:46 AM
nofear17bmx is an unknown quantity at this point

Only thing I have had problems with is the #3 middle plug. That is the biggest pain to get out...

Old 12-21-2006, 02:26 AM
MNHawk is an unknown quantity at this point

Hmm lets see:

CRAPPY DEXCOOL THAT ROTS YOUR SYSTEM OUT (main issue)

1) early signs of FUEL PUMP failure (over heats and quits working when 1/4 tank or less) due to pump is cooled by gas and they fail to tell you to keep it above 1/4 or more so that the pump wont fall under early failure due to OVERHEATING

2) FOB or power lock fails with no warning

3) Power locks only work on one or two doors

4) Early failure of INTAKE gasket

5) Excessive build up of Carbon

6) Defective REMOTE OIL-FILTER LOCATOR

7) No warning BALL JOINT seperation

8) P.O.S. delco radios and limited addon BOSS systems

9) Problematic Power Seats

10) Cheap Hinge Pin sets (cheapBrass bushings)from MFG (replacements are around $12 per door for good ones)

11) ODBII system that requires a $80 plus reader that only gives general issue codes over Detailed direct Like the $200 code reader does.
(ODBI was better due to you could just Jump A & B and get your codes over having to use a scan tool specific for the same codes)

With all the reading I have done with both general forums and from ASE cert. mechanics. I could go on for days. But yea, the MFG had to ensure job stability with these issues for their mechanics (mainly dealership shops). If not for theextensive list of TBS it would make it so these would rarely ever have to go into the shop. These are not like the Pre 80's Blazers that keep running forever as long as you take care of the rot issues on the sheet metal.
Heck my 74 W200 has less issues, but then again that was when they were built toLAST over built to RECYCLE

Old 12-21-2006, 03:46 AM
skitzobmxr is an unknown quantity at this point

ha

1. hood release wont open hood unless usmones pushing down on it
2. it smokes white everytime i start it
3. rear window doesnt stay open always falls on my head when im diggin around
4. when i push the cigarette lighter in my headlights go off
5. antifreeze leak
6. tranny's almost dead
7. windows take 5 minutes to open
8. wheel wells rusted through...but thats no biggy i could care less
9. ABS is out and i dont think i have any pads left in the front squeks like hell

im takin it to a friends tomaro and leavin it there for a week, hes gonna fix everything flush and change fluids/filters/and wutever else needs to be fixed and seafoam it for me

Old 12-21-2006, 11:29 AM
frankjc is an unknown quantity at this point

front hub and bearings
ball joints twice on one side, once on the other (so far)
rear wiper motor
oil cooler lines
idler arm (twice)
water pump
radiator cap
alloy wheels leak
fuel guage
seat recliner handles
alternator
brakes/rotors
front door hinge pins/bushings
cargo area trim panel/tool storage cover kept falling off
front washer pump sometimes doesn't work
hood latch used to stick
intake gaskets
rear window squeek
monthly payments (almost done)

Old 12-21-2006, 12:31 PM
DetroitMuscle is an unknown quantity at this point

the Spark plugs were easy to change, 4.3 4x4, dont have to remove the wheel or sterring column to get at em.

The back glass is annoying as hell, it wont stop squeeking. oh yeah the front brakes suck on the blazer, I replace my pads every 7-8 months and rotora every year to year and a half.

The rear defroster wires always snap off, the cowl panel rattles, and last but not least you gotta strip the damn dash to replace any of the switches in it.

Old 12-21-2006, 12:33 PM
nofear17bmx is an unknown quantity at this point

I actually dont mind taking the dash off. I have had to do it so many times to replace my radio and stuff so it takes me about 5 minutes. Just a few screws holding it all in. Its that #3 spark plug that still is ticking me off.

Old 12-21-2006, 12:58 PM
DetroitMuscle is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: nofear17bmx

I actually dont mind taking the dash off. I have had to do it so many times to replace my radio and stuff so it takes me about 5 minutes. Just a few screws holding it all in. Its that #3 spark plug that still is ticking me off.
LIFT THE FRONT END UP AND TURN THE WHEELS, sorry caps, it works everytime, I know if i can do it at stock height with 30's on it, it should be easy for the rest, the trick is to use a u joint extension and a wobbler socket, it comes out easier then number 4 does on the passenger side.

I am gonna order a chiltons for the 1st gen s-10, haynes doesnt show me anything and I need to find out why my vents dont work.

Old 12-21-2006, 01:59 PM
frankjc is an unknown quantity at this point

[:@]Forgot about that back glass squeek.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: A list of common annoying S-10 Blazer quirks.