General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

A list of common annoying S-10 Blazer quirks.

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 10:33 PM
Starting Member
kmartin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: A list of common annoying S-10 Blazer quirks.

I bought my 2003 Chevy Blazer, 2 years ago part of the GM Certified Used Vechicle Program. There is not much that did go wrong with compared to the others, but it is a newer vehicle.
But here is what I done:
-Had to replaced the gas cap. I believe the orginal one was swap with another during the transition from the first owner to me.
-Had to replace (2) O2 sensors, due to the check engine light being on and off. Any check engine light must be taken care of or it will haunt you when it comes toour state emission testing requirements.[>:]
-Got my radiator flushed, this year. After hearing about GM's class action lawsuitwith Dexcool. I decided not to wait around on that one.
-After over a year with starter problems, not being able to locate the problem, the starter got replaced. Being over 5 years old, and starting to act up over a 1 1/2 ago, for those who argue over OEM vs. aftermarket parts, I will give a thumbs up on aftermarket if my starter is problem free for over 4 years.
-I have a noise once a while when I get an increase in rpm's and wet weather that going to need to be figured out.
-An oil leak in my front defferentioal will need to be fix sometime.

Otherwise its a good vehicle.

Old 10-17-2008, 01:20 PM
Starting Member
brokenfish is an unknown quantity at this point

2000 2 door zr2

passenger seat handle
oil lines to filter (actually such a common problem their usually not covered under warranties)
button on talegate for glass has to be pushed like 8 times before it works
hood popper cable snapped but didnt have any sticking out to grab so i had to cut a hole in my grill to open it and just pulled the cable out of the sleeve and tied it in a loop and now it sticks out of my grill but im in the process of putting on locking hood pins
water leaking inside somewhere so the carpet under the back seat was always wet so it stunk
driverside window motor and power seat motors stopped working but they did spend about 6 hours under water
plastic tail gate panel screws the ones on the sides by the hinges broke the corners off the panel along with all of the ones at the salvage yards too
mirror switch half works same with the ones at the yards
spare tire holder dinted the body since the tire weighs so much
a/c leak
heater core filled with rust
bolts for seats and seat belts will NOT come out i actually melted the end of a tungsten bit on one after i broke about 5 bits and a stripped screw puller

other then that stuff you cant stop it from running they can take a beating and still drive

Old 12-09-2008, 08:07 PM
danmar714 is an unknown quantity at this point

Lol . you are right about the Spark plugs ...lol I dont yet have any other problems listed (Knock on wood).
But I do have a rattling on the passenger door were the speaker is .. does anyone else have this problem??

Old 12-09-2008, 09:49 PM
Beginning Member
02BlazerS.jersey is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah me to on my 02 blazer .....
Driver seat handle busted when I got the truck, (passengers ready tohaha), Power mirrors always acting up I think it went now...tried other day and ...Nothing. Doors sagging got to get bushings. Hood opens with special "techneek". On my Dads 93 blazer Windows would take 5 min to roll up or down Lubed track got..ehh...little better. Gas tank smell when filled, Power window relay was "draining" battery unhooked it for now. Just put "rebuilt " tranny in it in the summer.....But I still wouldn't trade my "CHEVY" for a "ford"!! Haha!!!

Old 12-10-2008, 08:52 AM
BGwood88 is an unknown quantity at this point

The only 2 things on mine is the glass popper button doesnt work at all and my back glass window washer pump lines are cut all to piece. but other than that i love her.

Old 12-10-2008, 03:50 PM
stevo is an unknown quantity at this point

my drivers side seatback lever is broken, wish you could weld it back
my steering wheel is slippery sometimes
i have put new pads and new discs on the front once in 100000 miles
and i find david copperfeild more helpful when changing spark plugs
david blaine always wants to do it upside down lol
oh and my passenger side door does rattle
but its more of the speaker cover
do you think puting something to space it out and keeep it tight would help?

Old 12-10-2008, 08:53 PM
Byte Stryke is an unknown quantity at this point

after owning my 3rd dime...a few things I know are common with S- Series
Idler arms, Control-arm bushings and ball-joints.. the front ends are designed for street and they prefer a well maintained street. potholes and offroad will rapidly accelerate wear.
EOC, or Engine oil cooler lines. 90's series, They leak at the radiator... get used to it or get the aftermarket fix kit.
Harleys leak and Blazers squeek. Glass, dash and panels.
Get Brembo or Bendix Brakes... Skimp on something else. Brakes arent the place to go cheap.
the ($^($%@! Seat handle rods.... Ive gone as far as to have new rods Machined at a Machine shop. (NOT a cheap fix)

as stated above, maintenace and driving style/habits have allot to do with the trucks problems.
I Drive mine here in kuwait for ~50 miles a day at speeds up to 90mph (highway in kuwait).
I have alignment issues and suspension issues due largely to off-road and speedbump/potholes.
I have oil leaks and brake issues due to the high speeds required here. (even Brembos wear hard when hard brakingat 90MPH)
I have vacuum line breakage due to steady 120-130 degree temperatures during the summer... my interior is drying up for the same reason.
I stay on top of these issues, because an issue only becomes a problem if you dont address it.

Old 12-11-2008, 01:11 AM
IrocBlazer88 is an unknown quantity at this point

well i guess ill post my problems to HA!

1. Speedo cable squeeks when it gets moisture or warm
2. Everything friggin rattles, sometimes little mystery rattles too!
3.the push/pull air vent on the drivers side floor isnt sealed, makes for some cold feet, and sweaty upper body tryin to heat those feet.

Other than that i love my blazer! its an 88, 2door, 2wd, 2.8, 5spd, sunroof, white, got the indash dvd, z28 rims, dual exhaust,and a couple other goodies.

Im new to the forum, will post pics one of these days, and post some more threads in the tech area.

Thanks for reading,
Justin

Old 12-11-2008, 04:04 AM
dump_guy is an unknown quantity at this point

Where to begin... 2005 Blazer

01) Liftgate struts... GARBAGE... on 3rd set
02)Driver door has NEVER closed properly.
03) Drivers side recline lever must be made from plastic.
04) Getting water on drivers side floor in rain. (Don't even have to be driving)
05) NOW... 4x4 is shot. Tech's say anywhere from $400 to $2000. It could be the... & so on.
06) Definitely have the fuel odor when filled to top.

Old 12-14-2008, 01:19 PM
mrafindley is an unknown quantity at this point

The number 1 problem that no one has listed and I just read all 7 pages is the 4 way hazzard light button that just pops out one day and not knowing that the most expensive place to buy parts (dealership) has the cheapest fix 15 dollars vs auto zone or any othe parts house that wants to sell you the whole damn assy.

Kepp your rear brakes adjusted rite and you will quit putting front pads and rotors on
buy ac delco replacements for your ride and you will not have to replace stuff all the time it cost more but you have more free weekends to do what you want to do and you don't have to leave and go get your wife in the middle of the night.

# 3 spark plug is easy get a plug socket take the rubber out slide it on the plug take a wrench brake it loose take the socket back off and unscrew with your fingers install the same way.

as far as the recline lever tell people to just buckle up and ride and stop messing with crap if they are tired they need to lay in the bed and take a nap not take one in your ride!

Most of these 2nd. gen rides should be paid off by now so spend what you was spending on the monthly payments on repairing the stuff that went bad and make people leave s*** alone

Quick Reply: A list of common annoying S-10 Blazer quirks.