General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Looking at Blazer...good deal?

Old 08-02-2009, 03:55 PM
SouthernDawg09 is on a distinguished road
Default Looking at Blazer...good deal?

Hey This is my first post. I am looking at a 2001 Chevy Blazer 4 door 4x4 with a 4.3 v6 with 114,786 miles on it for $5995. Does that seem like a good deal? Are blazers a good SUV over all? Are there any major problems I need to know about?

Old 08-02-2009, 04:04 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Have a look around here. There should be a thread about common problems around here somewhere... We seem to think they are pretty good vehicles. As with pretty much any vehicle, there are good and bad examples. Most all of the bad examples are due to lack of proper care and maintenance.

To me, that price seems a bit high. You will need to ensure that everything looks good for that price. How well is the vehicle optioned? 3 or 4 button 4wd switch in the dash?

Old 08-02-2009, 04:07 PM
mikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud of

check out kbb.com for a price comparison. some of the most common problems seem to be an erratic fuel gauge, 4wd problems, and ABS lights being on. most of the time these issues are very simple to take care of. i have an 02 with just over 57,000mi and the "problem" i have is the fuel gauge issue other than that its been a great vehicle with no surprises.

Old 08-02-2009, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by mikeinwi
check out kbb.com for a price comparison. some of the most common problems seem to be an erratic fuel gauge, 4wd problems, and ABS lights being on. most of the time these issues are very simple to take care of. i have an 02 with just over 57,000mi and the "problem" i have is the fuel gauge issue other than that its been a great vehicle with no surprises.

What type of 4wd issues? How easy was the fuel gauge problem to fix? The reason I am asking so much stuff is my last buy was a 02 Stratus then I discovered that it was a electrical night mare! And I dont want to end up like that again.

Old 08-02-2009, 05:27 PM
mikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud of

the fuel gauge can be taken care of with a new sending unit(not every blazer has this problem tho) as far as 4wd issues go there are quite a few things that can go wrong if you do a search youll find more than enough info on problems other guys have had and what they did to resolve the issue. Blazers will be just like any vehicle, youll find some that will run forever with no problems and others just seem never to run right no matter what you do it all comes down to how well you and the previous owner care for the blazer.

Old 08-02-2009, 05:38 PM
okvortec is on a distinguished road

2001's seem to have issues with the ABS system. There are at least 8 people I know of on the forums that have an 01 with the ABS, including me.

I picked up my 01 in great shape for 3500.. 92k miles on it.

Old 08-02-2009, 06:48 PM

Thanks for the info guys. I also found a 2001 4 door blazer with the same engine with 102K miles and 2 wheel drive for $8501 and a 97 2 door blazer with the same engine with 100K miles on it for $3980 Do those sound like better deals? I know I would get a better deal with a private seller. But I am trading the Stratus so I have to go to a dealer.

Old 08-02-2009, 06:53 PM
bandidolenny is on a distinguished road

Seems a bit high to me. I would check the local autotrader.com listings for some idea of prices in your area.