General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Looking to buy, need "advice" and opinions

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 01:05 PM
BF Veteran
wlorton has a spectacular aura aboutwlorton has a spectacular aura about
Default Looking to buy, need "advice" and opinions

Ok so I am looking to buy this 98 blazer that is lifted 12-14 inches SFAS and still retains the factory rear axle...

Before you start... Yes I understand it will be a poor mudding combo, but as I see it, it will be a decent fun rig to hit the mud with occassionally... I have photos, but they are rather large and in an email the owner sent me

Here is the craigslist ad and I can email pictures if it would help as I have no idea to know if it was done "good enough" versus good...

http://quadcities.craigslist.org/cto/1488563370.html

Old 12-02-2009, 03:49 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If the fab work is decent, I'd say go for it. You'll need to do some work right off the bat and I bet that front driveshaft isn't going to be cheap. Hopefully they got the pinion angle proper on the front diff so that you can actually get a driveshaft in there.

Old 12-02-2009, 04:06 PM
Starting Member
86Blazer327 is an unknown quantity at this point

Its leaf sprung in the front so the pinion angle should be fine. May have to go with a 32 degree CV front shaft. I dont think it would be more than 300 bucks to have one made or you could make one yourself if you had access to a lathe. If its not ate up with booger welds and its what you want , git it.

Why would it not be a good mudder?

Old 12-02-2009, 04:12 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by 86Blazer327
Its leaf sprung in the front so the pinion angle should be fine. May have to go with a 32 degree CV front shaft. I dont think it would be more than 300 bucks to have one made or you could make one yourself if you had access to a lathe. If its not ate up with booger welds and its what you want , git it.

Why would it not be a good mudder?
The axles are not the best..... Mudders want 14 bolts lol

Old 12-02-2009, 04:16 PM
Starting Member

Its a ten bolt D30 combo. A 14 bolt is a little over kill for a 37" tire. If I were gonna upgrade it and keep the same tire height Id go 12 bolt D44.

Old 12-02-2009, 04:18 PM
BF Veteran

Well to be honest... I have always thought that for what I want a 35 tire would be perfect...

Old 12-02-2009, 04:23 PM
Starting Member

Ive had several 14 bolts and all of them dragg every ciggerette butt layin in the middle of the trail. Ive got 42's and mine draggs on everything in the woods. I had 35's on a 12bolt/D44 combo and it was great. Never broke anything aside from 1 front axle shaft and a couple of hub locks. The axle shaft broke because the U-joint wore out and spit the cups out cause I didnt catch it in time

Old 12-02-2009, 04:39 PM
BF Veteran

He emailed me pictures of the setup... I can forward them to you guys if you want

Old 12-02-2009, 05:02 PM
Starting Member

jrl8495@yahoo.com

Ill do my best, No way I can catch all booger welds with out looking at it with my own eyes.

That thing is a death trap. It looks like he bought all his material from Home Depot. Unless you wanna completely re do everything I would look elsewhere.
There wasnt a single pic that I didnt find somthing wrong. I cant imagine what I would find if I actually saw it up close.

If you want I can point out everything on paint and post it to explain myself

Old 12-02-2009, 05:07 PM
BF Veteran

Lol sure...

Quick Reply: Looking to buy, need "advice" and opinions