General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Looking at buying a Blazer

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 01:41 AM
blazed101 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Looking at buying a Blazer

Hey guys, I'm looking at buying a 97' Blazer 4x4 with 209k.

I'm looking for honest but unbiased opinions on these Blazers.(the goods and bads, etc)

I've read over 200 "customer reviews" and alot of people have said theyve had nothing but problems with their Blazers, but some have said theyve had no problems at all [&:]

The one im looking at has a new transmission, u joints,tires,transfer case, rear main seal, and a starter. (not sure what else)

He's asking $4000 for it. Is this too much? Is it a good deal?

I sound like a real newbie with all the questions, but hopefully you guys can give me some detailed opinions about buying this or not.

Any input is apreciated. Thanks guys.

Old 02-27-2009, 01:50 AM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about
Default RE: Looking at buying a Blazer

ORIGINAL: blazed101

Ive read over 200 'customer reviews' and alot of people have said theyve had nothing but problems with their Blazers, but some have said theyve had no problems at all [&:]

I take it youre not familiar with the term 'Self-Selection Bias'?

But as for the cost...$4000 seems very high for anything with 210k miles....especially on a 97

Edit: Did a quick search on Autotrader....near me Ive got 3 blazers, all 2000 and newer, with 166k miles being the highest mileage, UNDER $4000. Just a thought.

Old 02-27-2009, 01:57 AM

Oh I'm well aware, dont get me wrong..

As for the price, he has over 4 grand into it, has all the bills etc

I was looking at other 97's on the net, and most of them are going for 6 grand or more, with 180k or higher.

The one im looking at is in great shape for the year, fully loaded, leather, and so on...

I dunno, I just get a little weary after reading a bunch of people say they have nothing but problems all the time with their 1997's.

This being a Blazer forum, I just want opinions (unbiased of course, if thats even possible ina "Blazer forum")

Again, thanks for the comments.

Old 02-27-2009, 02:03 AM

ORIGINAL: WolfPack

ORIGINAL: blazed101

Ive read over 200 'customer reviews' and alot of people have said theyve had nothing but problems with their Blazers, but some have said theyve had no problems at all [&:]

I take it youre not familiar with the term 'Self-Selection Bias'?

But as for the cost...$4000 seems very high for anything with 210k miles....especially on a 97

Edit: Did a quick search on Autotrader....near me Ive got 3 blazers, all 2000 and newer, with 166k miles being the highest mileage, UNDER $4000. Just a thought.

Link?

Also, you're in the states, and im in Canada, the Blazer in the autotrader here go for no less than 5 grand (for nice ones atleast)

I dont want to buy a piece of junk. Theres blazers here in the local classified that go for 1500, but theyre also rusted out, ****ty tires, dents, scratches, and so on and so forth.

Old 02-27-2009, 02:06 AM

double post

Old 02-27-2009, 07:01 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, $4000 CAD is not too awful bad. If you are comfortable paying that, go for it.

200 bad reviews out of the millions of vehicles sold is not really all that bad. You will always here the bad stuff on the internet and rarely ever the good. People who are happy with their vehicles are off worrying about other things and, most of the time, do not bother letting anyone else know the good experiences.

Take a look around in the 2nd Gen Tech section and run some searches. You will see the problems that most are having as well as (hopefully) how they solved them.

I will say that I was very pleased with my 2000 Bravada when I had it.

Old 02-27-2009, 02:59 PM

**Update on the Blazer**

I did a background check on it, and it was a recent write off in 2005 with 7000 dollars damage but has since been safetied.

Does this make it even more "scarier" to buy now??

Heres a couple a pics:

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/c...y1/blazerr.jpg
http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/c...1/blazerrr.jpg

Thoughts?

Old 02-27-2009, 03:12 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

...not with a 10 foot pole.[&o]

Old 02-27-2009, 03:59 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

Ahhhh sorry! I didnt even notice you were in canada!

But still...200k...yikes!

Old 02-27-2009, 04:30 PM
Outsydr is an unknown quantity at this point

I love my blazer and as much as I want to tell you to buy it, 7k dmg and 200k miles if it was me i'd keep looking for another one.

Quick Reply: Looking at buying a Blazer