General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Looks like engine replacement is not in the cards this year..

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2018, 04:10 PM
Starting Member
Snap-Off is on a distinguished road
Default Looks like engine replacement is not in the cards this year..

Looks like engine replacement is not in the cards this year..The Tax Refund Fairy was just not as generous this year when compared to years past. And on top of that, my Wife's Mountaineer needs a copious amount of parts..

So at this point, the Blazer can either just sit there , or I can throw some head gaskets and a radiator at her and see if she still overheats while being driven. I mean there is no knocking or other un-Godly sounds coming from the bottom end. No longer any coolant being thrown into the oil pan..

All I have to work with is a lot of misfires, cylinder 2 being most prominent , an O2 sensor code , and overheating when being driven..

What do I have to lose? Heck , needs a new radiator anyways since not only is it guaranteed to be somewhat clogged , but it's also got a small hairline crack at the outlet..

I guess I might just be nervous that I throw 13 to 14 hours into this only to have the bottom end disintegrate on me.

Or maybe I'll try to save some more change and wait a bit longer to have the whole power-plant swapped...

Geeez I really hate these decisions..

Old 02-05-2018, 05:10 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

I hear your pain.

If you can, you might as well delay the decision until later. If you know you will keep it no matter way, then do the radiator.

Old 02-05-2018, 05:56 PM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

Had a radiator that was clogged on the bottom 3rd. over heated all the time.

Old 02-06-2018, 06:26 AM
Starting Member

Thanks for the input ya'll...You're right, maybe I'll just throw a radiator at it and see how it goes. And I'll take it from there. May just be all she needs. That and a quick tune up. Who knows where this will end up.

Old 02-11-2018, 06:13 PM
Starting Member

Well , somewhere between my 3 kids and typical chaos, I found time today to pull plug#2...

Plug is black wet with fuel still.The hex sides are actually , rusty, so I wonder if they are original plugs..

Ran a compression test with fuel pump relay pulled of course. 3 runs at a solid 165psi

So this coming weekend , it's on to testing ignition stuff...Have a feeling wee are lonnnnnnnng overdue for a cap , rotor , plugs and wires. Along with a radiator and hoses.

One little thing at a time, and we'll find the answers.

Last edited by Snap-Off; 02-12-2018 at 08:12 AM.