General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Lost Keys... Cost of Dealer recut?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 09:04 PM
CPLSeraphim is on a distinguished road
Default Lost Keys... Cost of Dealer recut?

I went to Duncan, Oklahoma for 2 weeks for training for work. No big deal. Had a rental car I put the keys to on my key ring. When I returned the rental car, I never took my keys off. Problem is I go back to work Tuesday and won't have my keys.

I understand that their isn't a set price, but I was wondering about if anyone had to deal with this issue and had an approximate price range. I am going to try to get this done tomorrow, but just trying to see what I am looking at. Thanks in advance.

Old 06-15-2014, 09:45 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

it would be cheaper to call the rental car place and have them over night your keys.

Old 06-16-2014, 03:44 PM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

if the car is less than 10 years old, a dealer can cut the keys from the VIN, for about $19-15 if it's just a regular key. Doesn't help you much, though, with a 2000.

One time I lost a set of keys to one of the work trucks. Cost my company about $120 for a lock smith to come out, slim jim open the door, and cut a key right there. Only took the dude about ten minutes to do it.

X2 on getting the dealership to overnight the keys to you.

Old 06-16-2014, 05:30 PM

Alright, so the reason I asked was because, and as of right now, I have not been able to contact the Lost and Found at OKC Airport. I have called... a lot, and left voicemails, but nothing yet. However, I went to my local dealer with all the paperwork I needed, and got 2 keys cut... for a whopping $27. That was great, though, and much cheaper then I was expecting. I appreciate the replies, and not so much the airport Lost and Found, but all in all, I have 4 of the 5 keys from my keyring, so know just waiting so I can get the one...

Old 06-16-2014, 08:34 PM
rexazz2 will become famous soon enough

what paper work did the dealer need?

I have 3 keys for my 05 and all of them are badly worn so a cut by vin would be the way to go IMO

I had to get new keys from the dealer for my Toyota because the originals would no longer unlock the trunk because they were so badly worn
Dealer had me remove the door lock assembly to get the key code
P.O had left a bunch of stuff in the trunk because he broke the cable release

Old 06-18-2014, 07:30 AM

I had to take my registration and Drivers license. I took more, including license plate numbers and proof on insurance, but the dealer handed them back, saying registration and Drivers license was all they needed. Proof that you are the owner.

I was kind of surprised, but it turned out to be a learning experience.