General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Max weight that a blazer can tow?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 07:32 AM
Starting Member
blazerJim1701 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Max weight that a blazer can tow?

Max weight or if blazers can tow 24' trailer 1200 miles without killing the engine and tranny.

Thanks

jim

Old 08-18-2010, 08:13 AM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

The max weight is different from year to year, 2dr to 4dr and 2wd to 4wd.

If you have the owner's manual it will tell you how much you can safely tow providing you have a Class III receiver and hitch. If you plan on using the rear bumper the max is normally 350lbs of tounge weight and 3500lbs tow weight.

For what its worth, with a Class III hitch on my Blazer my max tow weight is 5600lbs. You might also want to look into getting an aux tranny cooler if you plan on towing fairly regularly.

Old 08-18-2010, 08:32 AM
Starting Member

Sorry, I should of stated I have a Class 3 hitch and a Tranny cooler.

I'm trying to figure out how big of an Travel Trailer (weight) I can pull from Florida to NJ without anything frying.

I'm not a speed racer also so going 55 with a trailer in 3d gear is not a problem with me.

Ideally I'm looking for an older TT that is no more than 19 feet long or 16 feet long, I'm assuming an older one @ 19Ft would weigh about 3K lbs.

I'd be on the road in the beginning of Nov so the temps with be cooler.

I've paired down on stuff so with the weight of the TT, my boxes only weigh about 500 lbs.

I would not have any water in any holding tanks either. and nothing in the blazer with me just me.

I do not have my owners manual. My blazer is a 2001, 4DR, LT, auto, 4X4.

Jim

Last edited by blazerJim1701; 08-18-2010 at 08:39 AM.
Old 08-18-2010, 12:02 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

You shouldn't have any problems towing 3500lbs, though you might have problems stopping and putting undo wear and tear on your brakes. Rule of thumb when towing is that if the trailer weighs over 3000lbs it should have it's own brakes. This is where you would need a brake controller unless the trailer has hydraulic brakes. When looking for a TT, if it has electric brakes then you need to get a brake controller and check the weight of the trailer. If it doesn't have electric brakes then you shouldn't have any problems with the weight of the trailer.

Old 08-18-2010, 12:50 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by blazerJim1701
...I do not have my owners manual. My blazer is a 2001, 4DR, LT, auto, 4X4.
Jim
Register your truck @ GM Owners Center and then you will be able to view a .pdf of your owner's manual.

Old 08-18-2010, 02:37 PM
Beginning Member
Agrunyan is on a distinguished road

I found this in the owners manual for max towing load (attached), hope it helps.

Attached Thumbnails Max weight that a blazer can tow?-capture.jpg  
Old 08-18-2010, 07:45 PM
Starting Member

Thanks for the info much appreciated.

Well I have to find a decent TT.

Then I have to replace the diff fluid, I did that last year but never towed a 19FT TT so I'll go to a heavier fluid.

The biggest I ever towed was a 5X10 uhaul trailer loaded to the brim and the blazer loaded.

Come to think of it That time I might of towed more than 3K wit that uhaul trailer...

Jim

Old 08-19-2010, 01:09 AM
BF Veteran
kiwiblazer is on a distinguished road

My new towbar is rated (and been certified) at 2500kg - braked & 750kg unbraked.

Last edited by kiwiblazer; 08-19-2010 at 01:12 AM. Reason: extra comment.
Old 08-22-2010, 05:08 AM
Starting Member
Bad Attitude is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by kiwiblazer
My new towbar is rated (and been certified) at 2500kg - braked & 750kg unbraked.

Hey Ken my towbar assembly is rated at 3500kgs, it has I think from memory about 10 14mm dia high tensile steel bolts holding it to the chassis

Old 08-23-2010, 02:29 AM
BF Veteran
kiwiblazer is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Bad Attitude
Hey Ken my towbar assembly is rated at 3500kgs, it has I think from memory about 10 14mm dia high tensile steel bolts holding it to the chassis
Can the Blazer tow that much? My son-in-law has a 7.6 mtr Stabicraft & I've hooked it up to my truck but not pulled it. The Stabi with full load incl full tank of gas weighs in at around 3200 kg. One day I'll try it on the motorway & see how it feels. Just stands twice as high & almost twice as long as the poor old Blazer. LOL Darren tows with a 4.0 ltr V6 Explorer - does the job but scary at times.

See pics in my album.

Quick Reply: Max weight that a blazer can tow?