General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Maybe getting back in the Blazer game...

Old 10-09-2013, 09:08 PM
Starting Member
ejschultz is on a distinguished road
Default Maybe getting back in the Blazer game...

I'm going to be meeting with a guy this weekend to try to work out a trade of my Jeep for his 2000 ZR2. He's got roughly 88k on the clock and it looks really clean in pics. It's got the 4 button transfer case. What are some things to look for? I know the body is prone to rust in front of the rear wheels. It's been a while since I've owned one so I don't really know what I'm going to be looking for. Thanks in advance for your help!

-Erik

Old 10-10-2013, 05:54 PM
Starting Member

Apparently everything seems alright with it. There is a problem with the 4 wheel drive though that threw a code and points to some solenoid. It won't let it shift out of 2 wheel drive. Any thoughts? He doesn't seem certain what solenoid it is.

Old 10-10-2013, 06:47 PM
Starting Member
RJ2004 is on a distinguished road

Sounds like one of the common problems.
Just do a search or two. I'm sure you'll find all the info you need.

Old 10-10-2013, 07:15 PM
Starting Member

Yeah. I had the issue with my old Jimmy and fixed it by replacing the vacuum switch on the transfer case. I don't know anything about the 4 button system though, which this ZR2 has. His "mechanic" tells him it's the shift selonoid causing it. Iirc, that doesn't cause 4x4 issues. I'm thinking more into the lines of the vacuum actuator, switch, or a line somewhere. I haven't physically inspected it though. We live about an hour and a half apart and neither vehicles are too fuel efficient so we've been trading pics and stories.

Old 10-10-2013, 08:49 PM
Starting Member

Well, I think we've figured it out. He stopped at autozone after work to get a scan. Apparently he needs a new shift solenoid. I don't know if there's a code specific to which gears the solenoid controls but one of them is going. The 4x4 is a completely different issue. Now, I'd be trading a mechanically sound, fully functional, lifted/locked/armored 97 Grand Cherokee for a 2000 ZR2 with a couple issues. Pics of the SPID prove it is really a ZR2. I know that's been faked in the past. Any thoughts on it?

Old 10-10-2013, 08:59 PM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

Well the shift solenoid isn't too hard of a issue to fix. And 4x4 issues usually aren't too problematic either. So it's really up to which one you want.

Old 10-11-2013, 05:24 AM
Starting Member

The 4x4 attempts to shift but doesn't. This leads me to believe it isn't the motor and more than likely isn't the TCCM. I'm guessing either the vacuum actuator or the vacuum switch on the transfer case is the culprit. He hasn't wheeled it nor has the previous owner so I doubt a vacuum line was snagged but I'd obviously check that, too. I did some reading on swapping the shift solenoid and it seems to be a pretty easy job. I hate having to replace a cheap part though only to end up spending more in fluids and gaskets than the part itself I replaced. I've made up my mind despite the couple of issues the ZR2 has based on pictures and what he's told me about it. I'm trying to set up something for tomorrow to go take a ride down to it to take a look... Hopefully he'll be willing to meet me halfway.

Old 10-11-2013, 06:05 AM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

If you can hear the transfer case shifting, its a good chance its the actuator

Old 10-11-2013, 08:42 PM
Starting Member

Cool. I had a feeling that was most likely the culprit. I'm afraid of things like the TCCM or the motor on the case.

Old 10-13-2013, 11:28 AM
Starting Member

For now it ended up being a no go. I don't have the time or money right now to chase issues on a vehicle, especially considering I'd be giving up one without issues at the moment. I'm still going to keep my eye out for a nice ZR2 though.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Maybe getting back in the Blazer game...