General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

mileage problem.......rant

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 05:03 PM
aris_unlimited is an unknown quantity at this point
Default mileage problem.......rant

Ok so I have been having this mileage problem and I can't figure it out at all. I keep hearing of peoplegetting over 20mpg on the highway and I just can't manage it.

At 65 mph I can average 17-18 mpghighway. In town it is a pretty steady 13-14 mpg at 30-40 mph. I even tried driving 55 mph on the highway lately trying to get it up to 20 mpg or over with very little in town driving. I got 16 mpg!! And I know it's not a torque convertor issue because it stayed at a steady 1750 rpms the whole time I was on the highway.

I am at a stand still here. I cannot figure out why I can't get the better gas mileage.

Last tune-up was about 15-20k miles ago. Did cap, rotor, plugs, plug wires. I always change the oil on time and use 5W30 Mobil 1. I constantly adjust my tire pressure to where it is supposed to be.

The only other thing I can think of is maybe a fuel filter, but I can't see it making this big of a difference.

Old 01-01-2008, 05:08 PM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough
Default RE: mileage problem.......rant

Fuel filter can make a difference, yep.

When was the last time you did a driveline fluid change?

Plus, it's colder out, that uses more fuel.

Try going 70MPH next time, if you can... I don't know what your speed limit is, lol

Before my bushguard, lights and tires, I got 24MPG @ 70 - 75MPH on the highway.

Old 01-01-2008, 05:14 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Your mileage is the exact same as what I was getting with my '00 Bravada. And it was running in tip-top shape. My commute had quite a few stops as well as large hills. I didn't see anything wrong with that mileage and I don't see anything wrong with yours either. What you are getting is about average. There are always those anomalies that will make you wonder, but you have to look at what the manufacturers MPG rating is and go from there.

Old 01-01-2008, 05:18 PM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

Could depend on the gearing you have too...

I've got 3.42's, and Kyle's Bravada had 3.73's, if I remember right.

Old 01-01-2008, 05:30 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Mileage depends on SO many variables - mechanical (drivetrain - 4wd/2wd, gearing, tires - highway/AT/MT/compounds, and up keep of the vehicle), environmental (temperatures/snow/ice/rain/etc), terrain (stops/hills/traffic/etc), and then there is how it is driven. Every vehicle on the road is different.

Old 01-01-2008, 05:35 PM
BF Veteran

That is definitely true...

But for a somewhat ballpark style comparision... The basics should be able to help people figure out minor differences...

Old 01-01-2008, 06:25 PM
igot10pinitis is an unknown quantity at this point

don't feel left out i get about the same. I see some people on here say they get 22 mpg on the highway and it makes me think what the hell is wrong with mine?

I have givin up on the fact that i could get good mpg out of it.

Old 01-01-2008, 07:31 PM
Beginning Member
95blackblaze is an unknown quantity at this point

OK I have been waiting for this. I get 9 -11 mpg , in the city or the highway summer or winter. I do regular tune-ups, tires inflated etc.
95 W code 4.3 CMFI, auto, 4wd, 3.73 gear, 4 door.

Old 01-01-2008, 07:55 PM
willjones is an unknown quantity at this point

I just made a 750 mile trip and got 21mpg doing between 65 - 75. Thats also sitting in DC traffic for over an hour.

Old 01-01-2008, 10:53 PM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future

ORIGINAL: aris_unlimited

At 65 mph I can average 17-18 mpghighway. In town it is a pretty steady 13-14 mpg at 30-40 mph.
same here

Quick Reply: mileage problem.......rant