General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

mod idea-thoughts/concerns

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 03:50 PM
davtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant future
Default mod idea-thoughts/concerns

I was thinking this morning (I know-it's about time lol) when I was driving to work. I have seen then before but never considered it. The arrows or blinkers that are on the side mirrors. I have seen signal mirrors for a blazer on-line, but they are outrageously expensive and they sell little stick on arrows you can buy on ebay, but they look ricerish. What I was thinking of doing is putting a strip of led's on the inside of the mirror close to the outer lip and then running the wiring with the power windows and stuff then up to the front and wire them into the side marker ligjhts along with the halos. What does everyone think. I know I can't wire them into the lights along with the blinkers for the fact that they would be on all the time and that isn't street legal, but with the blinkers, I assume it would be street legal in red because all the srrows I see on trucks are red in the firast place. What does everyone think of this. it is a cheap mod, and easy too. Any suggestions, concers, comments?

Old 05-14-2008, 05:29 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about
Default RE: mod idea-thoughts/concerns

Sounds like it could work! Although I think you could tap into the blinker signal in the dash/column rather than up to the front end. Also you will have to scrape some of the coating off the backside of the mirror for it to really work. The whole reason the mirror is a mirror is because light doesn't pass through the backside of the mirror.

Old 05-14-2008, 07:25 PM
Blazin Blazr is an unknown quantity at this point

I think its a good idea, it would look neat and it would be very unique for a blazer. Your blazer looks great right now and you have it ingreat shape... but if you are looking to really improve the looks of your blazer a new set of rims and tires would greatly change the appearance. The stock rims don't do anything for it. Also i have a question, i like your taillights, where did you get them and how much?

Old 05-14-2008, 07:35 PM
davtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant future

I wish I could get rims. I just can't afford some really nice ones. I might get some okay ones somewhere down the road, maybe after I finish paying for the blazer. My tails I got on ebay a couple of years ago not too long after I got the truck. They were like $25 or $30 shipped.

I was actually thinking of going around the outside of the mirror so they would be visible from the side or behind the truck. I wouldn't want to fiddle around with trying to get them in the mirror itself. I might get some of the led strips and fool around to see what is the best look. I can't do red and have them visible from the front of truck, that would be illegal. In order to have them visible (at least it's CT state law) from the front, it's amber. From the back it can be either, and both it has to be amber. Anything on the front of the truck any other color than white or amber is not street legal. Anything on the back not white, amber, or red is not street legal. Makes mewonder why I got pulled over for some red led liscence plate frame bolts. Hmmm, guess the cop had nothing else better to do. I didn't even get a warning, it was just a "come here" thing and "that is not street legal". I will get some small led strips from the auto parts store maybe tomorrow or next week and try it.

Also, right now I have the lights on my safari bar off. I threw out those fogs because they were rusted like crazy. I was also thinking what it would look like if I painted the chrome trim peices on the front black and blacked out the front off my truck. I was wondering because I am going to paint the grilles on the lights on the safari bar black. I think it might look nice, btu I am going to try and change it in paint.net. I am also going to paint the dash peice that comes out and the door trim peices and the center console red along with some black velvet orvelour on the lid and the sides. I am going to wrap my sub box in the black velvet or velour or something comperable to it when I build it. I have a 3 10" box mono that I am going to change to a 2 10" ported box with two inputs. I want a plexiglass window with neons inside, but have to come up with a plan since I don't have a table saw. I am going to have to trim it little by little with a dremel or sand it like crazy with a belt sander.

Old 05-14-2008, 07:47 PM
blazinrebel is an unknown quantity at this point

i love the look of a blacked out truck. im not much of a fan of chrome. stands out when im tryin to hide from the cops. haha

Old 05-15-2008, 01:04 AM
BF Veteran
kiwiblazer is on a distinguished road

Blacked out Blazers are cool!

Old 05-15-2008, 02:08 PM

Check out the post in chop shop to see what it would look like. I think I am going to go for it. I like the way it looks. I am also going to paint the mirrors too before I put the led's in them. I got another idea now. This one might take a bit more work, but hopefully will be worth it. Right now on my door sills, I have stainless plates there that say BLAZER. What I was thinking of doing was to spray the dupli-color truck bed liner there and leave a rectangular spot not painted for the sills, but then covering the back of the sill plates with some kind of frosted plexiglass or something, then dremeling out a little bit out of the door sill and put some led's in there, then drill a hole through the sill and run them through one of the spots in the floor and up into the dash and wire them into the lights under the dash so they go on when I open the door for a custom lighted BLAZER in the door sill. If it sounds like it is stupid, or if the door sill isn't that thick, I might just do the truck bed liner, because my sills right on the bend are getting scratched like mad because of saggy doors. I just had the door pins replaced last summer though.

Old 05-15-2008, 10:23 PM
Idriveachevy is an unknown quantity at this point

That would look awesome, but would deffinitly take a little bit of time and patience.