General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Most Bang For My Buck

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 11:46 AM
Beginning Member
Eaglefan9727 is on a distinguished road
Default Most Bang For My Buck

Hello Fellow Forum Members,

I posted this last night, But for some reason. It didnt show. Hopefully, This time it will be posted.

My wife has decided to let me get my first chevy blazer later this year and I have already started looking, But it will most likely be atleast 6 months before my wife and I do any real looking around for blazers. I looked on autotrader and carsforsale websites and I found a few blazers that I really like and I would like get some advice from blazers owners themselves on which blazer would be the most bang for the buck. I am looking to get 75,000 to 100,000 out of the blazer and it will mainly be a run of the mill car with very little off roading, But as I live in the state of MA. I need a 4wd for the bad weather during the winter months. Please note that I wont be adding much to the blazer like lifting it with new tires and so forth. It will be pretty much left alone as is. Here are my three choices at this time and hopefully by the time the summer rolls around. There will be a metallic blue as that is the color that I really want.

Blazer # 1 - This is the blazer that I really like......
2003 Chevrolet Blazer, Used Cars For Sale - Carsforsale.com

Blazer # 2
2000 Chevrolet Blazer, Used Cars For Sale - Carsforsale.com

Blazer # 3
2002 Chevrolet Blazer, Used Cars For Sale - Carsforsale.com

Now, I would like to ask a diffrent question about blazers, Because while my wife would like me to choose a 4 door blazer. I am interested in just getting a 2 door blazer personally. The issue is that if I was going to get a 4 door blazer. I would get a trailblazer like the following:

2002 Chevrolet TrailBlazer, Used Cars For Sale - Carsforsale.com

2002 Chevrolet TrailBlazer, Used Cars For Sale - Carsforsale.com

Instead, She would like me to keep it as a blazer and stay away from the trailblazers, Because she thinks the trailblazers are much bigger than the regular blazers like the following:

2003 Chevrolet Blazer, Used Cars For Sale - Carsforsale.com

2000 Chevrolet Blazer, Used Cars For Sale - Carsforsale.com

Can someone tell me how much bigger the 4 door trailblazers that I posted above are over the regular 4 door blazers? Is there much a diffrence when it comes to length and width wise? If so, How much bigger? Thanks for the feedback.

Eaglefan

Old 01-10-2012, 12:09 PM
Starting Member
Longer02 is an unknown quantity at this point

The Trailblazer is a slightly bigger vehicle. It has more room inside but not by much. The backseat in a trailblazer IMO is fairly small but the up front it feels as if you have more room.

I have owned both, and my parents currenltly own a 2002 Trailblazer with 181k miles on the original motor and tranny. The Trailblazers are definitely more refined and the 4.2L I6 motor is smooth and packs a punch. Even better if you can find a non extended Trailblazer with the 5.3L V8 but those are hard to come by. I prefer the ride and power of a Trailblazer over an S10 Blazer anyday. It will be able to pull more (if you have anything you need to pull) and get better MPG.

I had an 04 Trailblazer that I traded in on a 08 Camry which my g/f drives. I bought an S10 Blazer for winter use while I am not driving my Camaro. If I would have been able to get a Trailblazer with decent miles in my price range then that is the route I would have taken. I am not trying to take anything away from the S10 Blazer as it serves my purposes great and still pulls my parents 18' boat just fine.

If you want more information on the Trailblazers, hope on over to trailvoy.com. Lots of good information over there.

Good luck on whatever you decide though!

Old 01-10-2012, 12:22 PM
BF Veteran
DKSDAD is a jewel in the roughDKSDAD is a jewel in the roughDKSDAD is a jewel in the rough

Ok here you go, I looked up specs on 2003 for all but should make no difference. 2003 2dr is 177.3" long 67.8" wide and 64.5" tall it did not specify ZR2 or not so figure a ZR2 will be slightly taller. 2003 4dr 183.8" long 67.8" wide and 64.2" tall. 2003 Trailblazer 191.8" long 74.6" wide and 74.5" tall. I also threw in the Trailblazer EXT (7 passenger) for you 207.8" long 74.7" wide and 77.1" tall. I hope this helps. By the way I drive a 1995 2dr Blazer and my wife drives a 2006 Envoy XL which is the same size as the Trailblazer EXT. I don't know if you have any kids or are planning on any and what your lifestyle is (out door sports, camping 4 wheeling) but I have not really had any problems with either truck and we are original owners on both. By the way we have 4 kids so the 7 passenger Envoy is great and the 2dr Blazer is limited on seating. By the way the Trailblazer is my fathers so we have the trucks you are interested in covered accept for the 4 dr Blazer. Good luck. Tony

Old 01-10-2012, 01:14 PM
Beginning Member

Sounds like the trailblazer is about 8 inches longer and 7 inches wider than a regular 4 door blazer. As for the EXT trailer, I have no need or desire for that at all. A LTZ or a LT is fine with me when it comes to 4 doors.

The only reason why she wants me to get a 4 door blazer is, Because sometimes. We take her family out for dinner and so forth and she thinks that the blazer would be better than the 4 door toyota matrix that my wife and I have right now. We have no kids and have no plans for them either and we will not be towing anything either unless it is a very rare occasion that might come up.

BTW, She would rather see me decide to drive the toyota matrix instead so she can shop for a toyota prius, But she knows that Ive always wanted a blazer of my own for years and that is why she is willing to let me get a blazer for my own personal car.

The price range that we have is around $7,500. Of course, If we can find a deal less than that for a good blazer with the lowest mileage possible. That would be a better choice. Like I said earlier, Im looking for a blazer that I can get atleast 75,000 to 100,000 out of it to make it worth while.

Thanks again for the help and if anyone else wants to chime in on this discussion. Please feel free and do so.

Eaglefan

Old 01-10-2012, 05:42 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

I'm going to be very nice and just welcome you to the forum!

I will just bite my tounge for what I was going to post.

Old 01-10-2012, 06:21 PM
Little Roober is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Eaglefan9727
My wife has decided to let me get my first chevy blazer...
Originally Posted by AJBert
I'm going to be very nice and just welcome you to the forum!

I will just bite my tounge for what I was going to post.
Something to do with that part? Lmao.

Old 01-10-2012, 07:28 PM
Starting Member
Gale is an unknown quantity at this point

I think going 2000+ is a good approach. We just bought a 1998 S10 with 524K miles as a project truck and have since replaced the motor and transmission. In 2006 we purchased a 2002 Blazer with 102K miles and are now at 193K on it.

While not a buy and drive vehicle like the a Nissan, etc they are one tough nut. The 4.3 is awesome and will run like the wind.

Old 01-10-2012, 07:35 PM
TMM217 is on a distinguished road

Did you test drive any of those vehicles? What are your specific uses you are going to use your new blazer for? (hope i didnt miss that part) I drive a 2dr blazer and my wife has the 4dr grocery getter trailblazer.

Old 01-10-2012, 08:23 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by Little Roober
Something to do with that part? Lmao.
Considering that she is lending me some of the money to buy the blazer. That has alot to do with it.

Originally Posted by TMM217
Did you test drive any of those vehicles? What are your specific uses you are going to use your new blazer for? (hope i didnt miss that part) I drive a 2dr blazer and my wife has the 4dr grocery getter trailblazer.
No I have not test drive any of them at this time, But I plan to when I come back from my yearly vacation that I take to Los Angeles every April as I spend 3 to 4 weeks out in Sothern California visiting family and also going to the Long Beach Grand Prix every year.

As for my specific uses for the blazer. Its pretty much just going around town and highway running with a very limited amount of off roading.

Old 01-10-2012, 08:31 PM
TMM217 is on a distinguished road

I would say go with the zr2, what was it 1,2,or 3 especially if its going to be more of a recreational vehicle but there is always mods that can be done to the 4drs to be like a zr2.

Quick Reply: Most Bang For My Buck