General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

mpg?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 08:00 PM
Starting Member
01blazer16 is on a distinguished road
Question mpg?

I was wondering sence m geting 17 mpg right now stock. How much would i get 2001 Chevy Blazer 2wd with 2 inch body lift, 31/10.50/15 all terains, roof rack with spare, and stock 3.42 gears? And how would i get my mpg better once i do all that? Would a tune up help?? Thanks

Old 07-18-2013, 11:51 PM
LeWhite will become famous soon enough

Everything you are thinking will decrease your milage. Body lift= worse aero. 31X10.5 more rotating weight, three times worse than sprung weight. All terrains=worse rolling resistance. Roof rack= worse aero as well as higher center of gravity, way worse with the tire up there. Then you wanna know how to get better milage? Sorry but I just dont understand. Kinda like saying you like riding the girls on the corner bareback but want to avoid seeing the doctor.

Old 07-19-2013, 01:28 PM
97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough

^^ Lol... good analogy. But i would guess you will get about 4mpg less than you do stock. I have everything on my truck that you want on yours and i get about 14 mpg average with city and highway mixed. I took my roof rack off (i didn't even have anything on it) and now i get 2-3mpg better on the freeway, i had no idea it affected my gas mileage that much but needless to say its staying off unless i need it lol. I also have a PCM tune from Wait4Me performance and that helps the mileage a lot. Basically with with a 2" bl a 2" suspension lift and 31's with 3.73 gears i get about stock mileage with the tune. Since you have 3.42 gears city will be harder and OD on the highway will be sluggish

Old 07-19-2013, 01:55 PM
BF Veteran
El_Beautor will become famous soon enoughEl_Beautor will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by 97cherryblazer
^^ Lol... good analogy. But i would guess you will get about 4mpg less than you do stock. I have everything on my truck that you want on yours and i get about 14 mpg average with city and highway mixed. I took my roof rack off (i didn't even have anything on it) and now i get 2-3mpg better on the freeway, i had no idea it affected my gas mileage that much but needless to say its staying off unless i need it lol. I also have a PCM tune from Wait4Me performance and that helps the mileage a lot. Basically with with a 2" bl a 2" suspension lift and 31's with 3.73 gears i get about stock mileage with the tune. Since you have 3.42 gears city will be harder and OD on the highway will be sluggish
+1 on what cherryblazer said. The thing that would kill you the most is the roof rack & tire. If you want to run 31" tires I highly recommend you change to 3.73 gears, either by changing gears in your axle or swaping to an axle with 3.73 gears in it. The lift will likely reduce your economy, but not nearly as much as external things like a roof rack. Even my light rack with 4 3" lights cut my economy by 2mpg. After taking the light rack off, and with 1.5" suspension lift, 2" body lift, 3.73 gears, and 32" A/T tires I'm averaging 18mpg on regular gas with mixed city/highway driving. And I don't granny drive it. I'm certain I'd pick up another couple mpg if I drove more conservatively.

Old 07-19-2013, 02:09 PM
LeWhite will become famous soon enough

The air under the Blazer is just as dirty as the air over a basket it just doesnt have the area. The chevy rack isnt too bad. But a basket with lights, even worse. Doctor I only did her once, honest

Old 07-19-2013, 02:20 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by 97cherryblazer
I'm gonna get my pcm tuned will it help with power loss with 3.42 gears??

Old 07-19-2013, 02:32 PM
Starting Member

And can I get a pcm from junkyard and send it in?

Old 07-19-2013, 05:02 PM
97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough

You can get a junk yard PCM however it has to be the right year and some numbers on it have to match yours, i don't remember which ones tho. I tried to get one but couldn't find one that would work so i just sent them 160$ and they sent a tuned PCM. So i have two now which is nice

Old 07-19-2013, 05:18 PM
Starting Member

Ok thanks and are they worth it with 31s? And if I keep stock gears will getting a pcm give me the loss in power back??

Old 07-19-2013, 05:32 PM

They will set up your gearing to compensate for the tires (they also correct your speedometer) and the tune adds power so it won't be as noticeable as it would be stock but you will see difference. You will still notice the power difference in city, way more fun to drive but highway may seem more sluggish than normal.

Quick Reply: mpg?