Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   General Chat (https://blazerforum.com/forum/general-chat-34/)
-   -   my blazer is SLOW!! (https://blazerforum.com/forum/general-chat-34/my-blazer-slow-12821/)

igot10pinitis 09-04-2007 02:44 PM

my blazer is SLOW!!

i got an 02 xtreme. I drove our 98 lumina to work for the first time in a few months (wife drives it in town, its got 4 doors, easier with the kids). I decided to drive it to work and run it on the interstate today and man, i realized just how much faster it is than my blazer. its a 3.1L LOL from a dead stop or just gunning it, its a lot quicker. I'm not into making my xtreme faster, just something i noticed. Plus i like how the looks and flowmaster get all the attention

a_tack 09-04-2007 04:23 PM

RE: my blazer is SLOW!!

hmm... sounds like you have the same problems I have with a slow blazer.... you should read through other forums.. apparently our two blazers are the only two slow ones in the world, because other people apparently EAT MUSTANGSwith their blazers!!!!! haha

igot10pinitis 09-04-2007 04:46 PM

i had a 2000 3.8L mustang for my 2nd car. They would absolutelywalk all overa blazer. I have seen that post, just decided to keep out of it. I guess we will be the only 2 on the forum to admit that ours are not fast!! lol

swartlkk 09-04-2007 05:48 PM

Ok, no reason to cross posts... But I'll admit that my Bravada was no speed demon. Compared with other trucks in its segment, it wasn't a slouch though.

a_tack 09-04-2007 07:28 PM

oh... my blazer will burn out with the best of em..lol top end is crap tho....

Taymacjack 09-04-2007 08:13 PM

im pretty sure i can outrun my blazer...

a_tack 09-04-2007 10:17 PM

ORIGINAL: Taymacjack

im pretty sure i can outrun my blazer...
LMAO... thats great...lol

lennyblazer 09-04-2007 10:24 PM

I mean my blazer is slow unless i step on it then it seems to go pretty good, not as good as the Taurus SHO I had. But the blazer does weigh another 1000 pounds over that car and is more torque focused instead of hp focused. Otherwise its good, I just don't like to step on it cause it costs too much to fill up after doing that.

blazinloud 09-05-2007 12:11 AM

maybe i should have made a seperate post but its somewhat related.

anyway, buddy got a4 door 2000 exploder with 240k on the 4L V6. he paid like $5200 cad.

For some reason he thinks it will do so much better in the mud cuz its a 4 door [&:]

how you guys think a blazer stacks up against it?

TripleBlackBlazer 09-05-2007 01:00 AM

Of all the things to increase mud-capability, I've never heard of having two extra doors being one of them. I always thought shorter wheelbases were better for offroad because you have a better approach and departure angles?

I've never thought of the Explorer as an off-road vehicle anyway...I know they are taller but I'm not sure if it's body height or suspension height. Hard for me to be impartial because I've been bleeding Chevy since birth.

Taymacjack 09-05-2007 01:58 AM

ORIGINAL: blazinloud

maybe i should have made a seperate post but its somewhat related.

anyway, buddy got a4 door 2000 exploder with 240k on the 4L V6. he paid like $5200 cad.

For some reason he thinks it will do so much better in the mud cuz its a 4 door [&:]

how you guys think a blazer stacks up against it?
Blazer>Explorer anyday. My brother has a 97 4 door. I dont even like to drive it,let alone drive it in the mud.

TheBrettster 09-05-2007 03:23 AM

Ford cannot make a v6. nuff said.

drperry 09-05-2007 05:07 AM

I think this might give you an idea on how well an Explorer can do compared to a Blazer... lol.

Dory 09-05-2007 09:26 AM

Blazers weren't meant to be racing trucks... the Xtreme should be a little quicker but again the Lumina has no weight to it. If you sneeze on a Lumina you can give it a door ding dent!! A friend of mine had one and it was made out of a tuna fish can or something... the Blazers a little ... no, a lot heavier I believe?

Just food for thought. :)

nj4x4blaze 09-05-2007 09:34 AM

Yea my blazer is no speed demon either. If my motor ever dies I'm just going to swap in a v8.

drperry 09-05-2007 12:48 PM

My Blazer is getting a V8 swap before the 4.3 dies... Then I'll have a nice go-kart engine.... But that might have to wait, depending on what the Honda dealership tells me about getting my quad, lol

blznlowxtreme 09-05-2007 06:23 PM

i would hink the gears in the lumina would be different than a blazer and that can change everything, i dont think my blazer is a beast but i have no problem w/ getting going when i need to. i dont know what is can get up to because it shuts off at 98 but it still gaining when it shuts off, so i wouldn't considerit slow

drperry 09-05-2007 07:58 PM

The gears in a Lumina are taller than the average gearing in a Blazer.

Most Lumina's had 3.23's or 3.08s and I think some 2.xx were put out...

FirehawkNS 09-06-2007 08:37 AM

It's all comparable to what you are used to, but still I am surprised by so many saying the Blazer is slow, where I don't have a large complaint about it. The Z was my daily driver for years, it put down 372hp/374tqbefore Spray, I figured I would bitch about the Blazer the way I bitch about the wifes RSX (god is that thing slow...and torqueless too), but surprisingly I think the Blazer is torquey enough that it doesn't feel bad at all. I mean I can't pull out at times the Z would have me out in traffic or expect to show up that person in the lane that ends after a light, but it's a heavy truck, I didn't expect it to run a quarter well. Would I love it to be faster, well hell yea and I am considering an LS1swap in the future, but for a DD, it does me just fine for now. And on the Explorer side, I drive a co-workers explorer a lot when we go out to lunch and that thing is not peppy at all, the blazer feels much stronger.

Good thing about theBlazer though,the Z has only been out twice since I got the Blazer and damn it hasn't felt this strong since the header/exhaust swap, I'm loven that feeling again. :D

drperry 09-06-2007 02:52 PM

Exploders aren't bad when they've got the V8... But still feels kind of sluggish compared to my Blazer...

RCars2 09-06-2007 03:05 PM

ORIGINAL: drperry

I think this might give you an idea on how well an Explorer can do compared to a Blazer... lol.

ROFL, i was gonna say something about my post but ya beat me to it, LOL!!. Yeah exploders are no good offroad, mudd or otherwise. You would have to lift the crap out of it just to make it functional on the trails and even still the body and undercarrage is all exposed. At least on the blazer the frame sticks below everthing and provides some protection.

As for 2 vs 4 doors, i will use cherokees for this example as ive see 2 of them run the same trails before. The 2 door is initially better on smaller tire sizes because it has less space between the wheelsto get itself hung up on and thus it doesnt high center as easily. However once you start getting as tall as 35's and biggerthe 4 door is better because it isnt as tippy front to back. We put that 2 door cherokee with 37's on its tail many times rock crawling where the 4 door with 36's was just peachy. In the mudd, i havent seen it first hand but assume similiar principals apply. I could probably explain in more detail but im sick right now so im tired.

07g5gt 09-06-2007 09:06 PM

the blazer is def faster then the 2001 4 runner sr5 thats in my family that things a pos and is so slow its sad

2000_BlzrLT 09-15-2007 11:22 AM

My buddy has a ranger with a 4L v6 which is the same engine that is in the exploder. That truck is lucky it has enough capability to get out of the driveway let alone compare to a blazer or an s-10. I think the 4L is like 165hp instead of the 4.3L's 195hp. I have driven the ranger and it has about as much power as my 4 cylinder jetta.

BLK85 09-15-2007 12:19 PM

My Blazer is slow too thats why Im buying a Trans Am next Spring and have the Vrod on order. The Blazer will just be a ****ty weather viechle for me. Pretty much if there is snow on the ground the Blazer will be getting driven if not the Trans am or the Vrod will be the choice ride.

I thought about putting some money into the Blazer to make it faster but its not worth it.

thisjrocks 09-15-2007 01:03 PM

my jimmy shakes once you hit around 55 anyway.......my kids hate it I was on the interstate the yesterday and they were screamin "You are going TO FAST!!!" lol i was only doing 65 in a 70

blazin97 09-15-2007 05:15 PM

ORIGINAL: thisjrocks

my jimmy shakes once you hit around 55 anyway.......my kids hate it I was on the interstate the yesterday and they were screamin "You are going TO FAST!!!" lol i was only doing 65 in a 70
Sounds like you got something wrong, I have no shaking at 98 or so when she shuts off.

blazin97 09-15-2007 05:25 PM

ORIGINAL: Dory

Blazers weren't meant to be racing trucks... the Xtreme should be a little quicker but again the Lumina has no weight to it.
The X is the same as a regulare Blazer with 1.5 in/2 in drop, body kit, and quick ratio steering.

thisjrocks 09-15-2007 07:26 PM

i just fig'ed that with the big tires and the tire on the roof It was bound to shake

MindlessCorpse 09-15-2007 08:46 PM

My Blazer feel's sluggish at low and mid rpm's but seem's too come on a bit at high rpm's. Thing is i dont drive at high rpm's very often

thisjrocks 09-15-2007 11:24 PM

me neither just around town here and there mostly 35 mph. a little site driving when I work...key word being when:D