General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

My first Blazer

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 11:45 AM
FirehawkNS is an unknown quantity at this point
Default My first Blazer

I bought a 2001 Blazer LT over the weekend so I can officially retire my Z28 to Track/weekend duty. I am new to blazers, but not to GM, so I know there are free mods and other tricks that people have posted and I have started my long process of searching for all the information so I am as up on Specs of the Blazers as I am of the F-bodies/vettes (have already found one about a TB free mod, but need more info on it). I figured I would start a thread to make it easier on me.

Let me know of common things that you guys know of or links to places like installuniversity.com or ls1howto.com that you guys know of, or good threads that you might have saved here.
What have you guys done to yours? Show me some pics of what you have done. Although the wife will kill me to have another vehicle to mod, I am already ready to make it different (Starting with a billet grille).

Most of all I need a good place thats easy to read up on the main specs of my Blazer. Year to year, or whats similar in parts (like Jimmy parts) etc. I have started searching the site, but it's slow going.
For now I am looking for floor mats, as this is my truck I need a nice easy to take out and spray off cargo mat, but a simple nice mat up front. Let me know what brand has worked out the best. I want to do the 4 head light mod if it's not already (have done it on my Z and a 2000 silverado, so I'm sure it can be done easily), what can be done cheaply to squeeze a few more MPG out of it.

Some pics, just dealer pics for now. I have just started cleaning it up and prepping it to get the paint protection to my standards (seems people avoid taking care of the top of these things, so I have some polishing work to do on the top). The red floor mats have to go and I have already taken off the 1990 style cell phone antenna.

Old 08-06-2007, 01:32 PM
BF Veteran
EuroGoldLS is on a distinguished road
Default RE: My first Blazer

nice collection of hubcaps... LOL

Just look at some of my pictures, that will give you an idea of what to do.
clicky
http://s159.photobucket.com/albums/t147/Eurogoldls/

Old 08-06-2007, 01:40 PM
iceflames11 is on a distinguished road

Welcome to the forum. Nice truck, very awesome z28! Question for ya: I also have that "90's antenna" on my truck, though it was for a scanner, its the same thing. How did you get it off? I dont know what to use (solution wise)and I dont wanna scratch the glass by prying it off. Thanks in advance for any info.

Old 08-06-2007, 02:45 PM
lennyblazer is on a distinguished road

FirehawkNS: Nice looking Blazer, Welcome to the Forum too. Can't wait to see what you do with the blazer. Nice looking z28 too.

iceflames11: Should be able to just use some WD-40 and fishing line or a flat razor blade (just go easy on the glass with the razor blade) It would be like removing the emblems or dealer decals.

Old 08-06-2007, 05:48 PM
ltown21 is an unknown quantity at this point

does it have a sunroof? cause if so, its the exact same as mine but red. pewter interior and all!

Old 08-06-2007, 07:12 PM

Thanks everyone for the complements and welcome!

I went and picked up a new parking brake pedal assembly today as the pedal wouldn't lock down when we bought the truck. Wasn't too bad of a job for the extra money I got taken off because it didn't work. Took all of 20 minutes to swap and was only $30.

iceflames11- like lennyblazer said, I used a 15 pound fishing line I keep on hand for things like that, a razer to help scrap off the excess and WD-40 for clean up. Don't forget some good glass cleaner to clean off the WD-40.

Ltown21- It doesn't have a sunroof. Wouldn't have mind one, but most the blazers I looked at were pretty beat up, so when I found this one I jumped on it no matter the options.

I've been looking at cargo mats and found one that is "invisible" one that I think I will end up buying. I am curious what the difference is between onstar equipped vehicles when buying those though? Don't get why I have to specify if I have onstar for mats, but anywho, the search will go on for parts and upgrades. Don't plan to do a lot since I am still throwing money at the Z, but it will be personalized. Billet Grille and the floor mats should be on in a few weeks though. It's a start.

Old 08-06-2007, 07:13 PM
davtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant future

Very nice clean blazer. Yours has a few things mine doesn't have like the controls on the steering wheel and fog light switch. Mine had the exact same antennea. There should be a little allen wrench screw or something underneath which loosens the actual antennea part and then I just used windex and a flat razor blade scraper and scraped it off. The inside one is tough to get off, I just left it on. You can't tell from the outside anyway. I just tucked the wire up in the headliner. And yes, I agree, the red foormats have to go. I have some Michelin black rubber mats that look good, of course my interior is black. Basically all the mods I have on my truck are inexpensive mods. Take a look at my photo gallery and if you have any question, pm me or post em here.

*EDIT* Oh, and welcome to bf.com

Old 08-06-2007, 07:18 PM

I don't know what they were thinking with those mats. They didn't even cut the things where you are supposed to for a tight fit. [:'(]

If you use the fishing line method the inside isn't hard to get off. I also shoved the cable into the headline.

Old 08-12-2007, 07:22 AM

Got the mats replaced yesturday, thank god the red ones are gone. I spent all day yesturday cleaning the truck. I got the old steam cleaner out and went to town on the carpets, got the shop vac out and hit every corner I could get too (getting some nasty things in the process), scrubbed and conditioned all panels, cleaned out in between all the doors, etc. Then I went to work on the outside. I still have some of the top to do, but the whole truck got:

Swirl coats - reducer 2 coats
Polish - 2 coats
Wax - 2 coats

The way the top looked before I started working on it (since the top was the worse part). Keep in mind this is after a good washing so that junk you see is in the paint or caked on.

This is a section I got completed

Where I got to when I had to stop

Old 08-12-2007, 02:58 PM
lennyblazer is on a distinguished road

Wow thats a big difference. Looking good, I sure hope you have a buffer, cause that is a crap load of elbow grease.

Quick Reply: My first Blazer