General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

need help on exhaust!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 03:10 PM
shorty011685 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation need help on exhaust!!

ok so how can i bypass the catalytic converter on this thing w/o messing the O2 sensors up or is it impossible? im wanting to put a carb kit and take away all this crappy "electric" crap out too. or am i going to run into to much headache? :/ anyone help me or email me at bubbles212006@yahoo subject "blazer" i feel like doing this to it at this point

Old 04-02-2013, 03:59 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

We can not help you remove your cat, Sorry. It is against federal law to not have one on a car that came from the factory with one.

Old 04-02-2013, 05:18 PM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

buy a cat. case closed.

Old 04-02-2013, 06:32 PM
okiedoak20 will become famous soon enoughokiedoak20 will become famous soon enough

buy a cat, will probably spend more money trying to run w/o it plus have a poor running vehicle in the process

Old 04-02-2013, 07:34 PM
shorty011685 is on a distinguished road

thank you all now what about the carburetor situation? im sick of my EGR going bad even tho i get high grade gas and have the filter on it :/

Old 04-02-2013, 07:42 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by shorty011685
thank you all now what about the carburetor situation? im sick of my EGR going bad even tho i get high grade gas and have the filter on it :/
That is strange that your EGR keeps on going bad. Did you get a new one, or did you clean your original one? 90% of the time they can be fixed with a good cleaning.

Old 04-06-2013, 07:53 AM
rexazz2 will become famous soon enough

if you need emision testing you will not want to remove the Cat. or fuel injection IMO

Old 04-06-2013, 09:22 AM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Auto parts stores have a replacement gasket for the EGR valve with a screen in it... end of problem. If you want to get rid of the electronic stuff, buy an old car, should be plenty of them in Savannah, much less headaches involved

Old 04-06-2013, 04:52 PM
ohsofly will become famous soon enoughohsofly will become famous soon enough

Yuo I agree, get a new catalytic convertor installed, and learn how to clean out the EGR yourself, its really easy to do and takes about 30 minutes with hand tools. You will ahve to ask an exhaust shop about the cat removal because we cant talk about that around here. The easiest and cheapest fix for you will be a new cat and the learning to clean the EGR out. Have a read around and you will find the instructions.

Old 04-06-2013, 06:37 PM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

If you wanted to put a carb on, there is a carbed manifold available through Summit. You could probably put an old HEI distributor on, and call it good. A different fuel pump would be needed, also. I don't think there is a provision for a mechanical fuel pump on the block. Maybe the stock one can be regulated down enough? Or an aftermarket inline pump could be used. A carb needs about 8-12 psi, the 60 psi the pump puts out would overpower the floats in a carb.

Then you would probably not be able to get it inspected anywhere, and be unable to drive it on the road.

The cat can be removed (If off road used ONLY. Illegal to do this. You won't be able to pass inspection.) there is an 02 sensor after the cat, but it only monitors the cats performance. So removing the cat will set off the check engine light, but will not affect performance at all.

It would probably be far easier, and much more legal to find out what is causing your problems and fix it correctly. Get the egr gasket with the screen on it. You won't ever have an egr problem again. Usually there is nothing wrong with the egr, it just gets stuck open by a piece of carbon and makes a huge vacuum leak.

Last edited by cleburne red; 04-06-2013 at 07:57 PM.

Quick Reply: need help on exhaust!!