General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Need help with towing info ASAP

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2017, 02:08 AM
Amplife is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Need help with towing info ASAP

Me and my fiancee were lucky enough to be give an 89 blazer S10 for parts, is it possible to tow an 89 blazer S10 with an 89 blazer s10? on a tow dolly? We only have to tow it about 25 miles at most and it's mostly slow back roads. Also how do I disengage the driveshaft for towing?

Old 10-01-2017, 04:16 AM
error_401 is on a distinguished road

Should work.

Make sure the dolly is up to specs and can be correctly fixed to your S10.

To remove the driveshaft you loosen two brackets on each end where it is fixed to the yoke.

Bring 4 zip-bags and be extra careful once it is out because the cups which were held by the retainers (brackets) are just pushed over the axle of the joint and contain the needles. You may want to bring a large piece of cardboard to put under the truck. Makes life easier and the needles when lost are easier to find.

Another method is to detach the driveshaft and put tape around the end to keep the caps.

I prefer detaching the whole driveshaft no hassle under the car and the work is not that hard.
When detaching just at the differential is where you have to be extra careful. The driveshaft must under no circumstance hang from the truck, it has a sliding piece which has to be secured in such a way that it cannot extend, else it may hit the rotating yoke on the differential or other parts. It cannot in any circumstance move to somewhere where the suspension or the axle is.

This is where sturdy wire comes into play. For the first you can fix the sliding part and put a wire from end to end to keep it compressed. And the wire can be used in some smart place to hold the driveshaft up to the body.

BRING:

- something to mark the brackets e.g. F1/F2 R1/R2 and direction (I do that others simply don't care) such as cheapest nail enamel, paint marker...
- zip-bags for the parts
- tape
- cardboard
- toolbox
- sturdy wire at least a couple yards
- pliers and cutter

Good luck

Old 10-03-2017, 12:50 AM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

Do not use 4th gear (overdrive) and watch the temperature of the motor. Excessive shifting can cause overheating of the transmission fluid which will cause irreversible (and expensive) damage. Stay slow, no more than perhaps 45 mph. That you will be using back roads for a shorter distance is good.

Also, you will be towing as much as the tow vehicle weighs. Your braking will be very difficult. Be very careful and exercise quite a bit of situational awareness so that you are not surprised by anything that would make you brake unexpectedly.

Christine