General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

need some help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 06:40 PM
Beginning Member
06marbleRR is on a distinguished road
Default need some help!!!

Ok, so I just sold my blazer, I paid $800 for it in August and for ****s n giggles I listed it on craigslist for $2500, well, I got $2500 for it. So now I'm looking for another and am not having ANY luck. But I came across a 97 Bravada. Very comparable to the blazer, but I feel the bravada has more "bells n whistles" than the blazer. The ONLY thing I don't like is the smart trac AWD. I can't choose 2wd for every day driving. Now my question, would you say the bravada is still capable of playing in the mud or going off road? Buying this is a choice I have to make by the morning! Any help is appreciated!

Old 02-09-2010, 07:10 PM
Banned
Spectreblazer is on a distinguished road

AWD is nothing compared to 4wd. if you want to play in the dirt and snow pass this one up and look for a 4wd. everyone thinks they're close or the same thing but awd vs 4wd is a big difference. 4wd can be put in even if you don't "need" it. i like choosing if i need it and not the computer which is exactly what the computer does for awd. computer would actually be your wheel speed sensors and your abs but i try to keep it simple as possible. easier to explain

Old 02-09-2010, 07:17 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Have you owned an AWD vehicle?...

The AWD setup is actually more simple than the 4wd setup in these trucks. For all intensive purposes, the only difference between the NV236 transfer case and the NV136 transfer case is the lack of a low range. That right there may be worth it to you if you are rock crawling around and need low range, but in all of the messing around I have done with my Rainier and my Bravada before that, the only time I would have liked a low range is when I was pulling out the shrubs in front of the house. But then again, I had the K5 to take over.

And ABS has nothing to do with the AWD system in these trucks. Completely separate. There is no traction control in the Blazer.

Now, back to the question at hand. The transfer case that is found in the '97 and earlier AWD s-series trucks is a fulltime AWD system with a 30/70 torque split front to rear. It actually works quite well. It isn't as nice on fuel mileage as the newer NV136 transfer case is, but it is still quite capable for light to moderate offroad conditions.

Old 02-09-2010, 07:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by swartlkk
Have you owned an AWD vehicle?...

The AWD setup is actually more simple than the 4wd setup in these trucks. For all intensive purposes, the only difference between the NV236 transfer case and the NV136 transfer case is the lack of a low range. That right there may be worth it to you if you are rock crawling around and need low range, but in all of the messing around I have done with my Rainier and my Bravada before that, the only time I would have liked a low range is when I was pulling out the shrubs in front of the house. But then again, I had the K5 to take over.

And ABS has nothing to do with the AWD system in these trucks. Completely separate. There is no traction control in the Blazer.

the speed sensors determine when to kick in the awd though in low traction coditions right? like the auto 4wd button. i agree its more simple but i guess an old dog won't change his ways.. take a blazer and a bravada out in the mud. the 4wd is going to outperform the awd in almost every situation. for basic commuting where you want some security i agree awd has its place. sliding into a ditch or trying to pull a buddy out and you're gonna want 4wd. all depends on your needs.

*no i have not owned one but i have drove one.(awd)

Old 02-09-2010, 07:24 PM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

When I have my 4 button 4x4 in Auto 4WD & stand on it a bit on ice or ??? & it slips for a bit & then I swear I feel something akin to the ABS (but less noticable) kick in to slow a tire/tires. Could that be the case or is something FUBAR'd?
Not meaning to hijack the thread, I agree that 4 low is great when pulling somone out or tree stumps, whenever you need that low end GRUNT, & yes, you have that K5 lol... I'm looking for one or a full size p/u 4x4

IMO awd is great if you're going to stay on the pavement, winter, summer, ice snow etc... maybe that'll be your TSN Turning Point about getting it or not?!
Some mild off road hauling a boat, slippery situations, but for calling it a TRUE 4x4, I wouldn't say that.
To me there's
AWD - like a subaru
4WD - like a stock blazer that has more clearance than a subaru etc
& 4X4 with a lift, clearence, larger tires, a locker or 2 etc

Last edited by Rottidog; 02-09-2010 at 07:34 PM.
Old 02-09-2010, 07:31 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

What you felt is the transfer case engaging the front axle. My Rainier and Bravada both had a bit of a oddity when you romp on it on a snow covered road.

And I am sorry Spectre, but you still don't get it. An AWD Bravada will perform just as well in the mud as a 4wd truck provided all else is equal. That is until low range is required (which mud really doesn't require low range, but there are always exceptions). But you really wouldn't know having never had one out in the mud before... It is quite hard to draw a comparison if you haven't ever experienced offroading in an AWD vehicle, much less driven one when the system has been needed.

For the '98+ AWD trucks, on the first sense of slip, it takes less than a second to engage the front axle and have both axles digging just like any other 4wd. The 98+ AWD Bravada's also came equiped with the G80 standard which isn't the case with a lot of 4wd trucks. There is no "old dog" about it. And the AWD trucks also don't have to deal with the problematic front axle engagement!

Old 02-09-2010, 07:33 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Rottidog
When I have my 4 button 4x4 in Auto 4WD & stand on it a bit on ice or ??? & it slips for a bit & then I swear I feel something akin to the ABS (but less noticable) kick in to slow a tire/tires. Could that be the case or is something FUBAR'd?
Not meaning to hijack the thread, I agree that 4 low is great when pulling somone out or tree stumps, whenever you need that low end GRUNT, & yes, you have that K5 lol... I'm looking for one or a full size p/u 4x4

IMO awd is great if you're going to stay on the pavement... maybe that'll be your TSN Turning Point about getting it or not?!

your speed sensor detects a speed variance so it kicks in the 4hi for a few seconds then disengage. thats the clunk you feel. once these systems get older they don't like to disengage. thats what mine does. the auto 4wd works once then she locks in 4hi tell you disengage.

Old 02-09-2010, 07:39 PM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Spectreblazer
your speed sensor detects a speed variance so it kicks in the 4hi for a few seconds then disengage. thats the clunk you feel. once these systems get older they don't like to disengage. thats what mine does. the auto 4wd works once then she locks in 4hi tell you disengage.
It's not a clunk, more like a light ABS kicking in, a slight vibration. Uh Oh lol
but it does disengage... so far
And it doesn't do it when I have it set to Hi 4... odd

I hope it's just an "oddity" Kyle... I've spent way too much in frivolous expenditures last while... least the gf says so lol

Last edited by Rottidog; 02-09-2010 at 07:44 PM.
Old 02-09-2010, 07:42 PM
Banned

don't know man, could be something as simple as a wheel speed sensor.

Old 02-09-2010, 07:43 PM
Administrator

Hey now... Move it to another thread! LOL

Quick Reply: need some help!!!