General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

New to this, but here's my baby.

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 08:30 PM
CodyL. is on a distinguished road
Default New to this, but here's my baby.

Well I'm new to this whole forum thing, but I joined in hopes that I can get helpful advice as problems occur on my Blazer. I got her a couple months ago; asking price was $2100 and I talked the dude down to $1650.
I replaced the spark plugs and performed an oil change, looked at the O2 sensor and saw that, rather than screwed in, it was clamped on with hose clamps and smothered in JB weld. I'm getting a new bung welded in the exhuast and a new O2 sensor put in.
Eventually she started to "put" and idle really funny, then the transmission leak began. Took it to a friend and was told I needed a new "upper Transmission Cooler Line." I'm getting that put on tomorrow as well. ohh and for some reason my gas gauge spazzez at times but mostly stays on "E" even after I fill up.

Any suggestions for a broke college student?

Attached Thumbnails New to this, but here's my baby.-blazer.jpg   New to this, but here's my baby.-eva.jpg  
Old 10-18-2012, 09:02 PM
Super Moderator
rexmburns is a jewel in the roughrexmburns is a jewel in the roughrexmburns is a jewel in the rough

Welcome to the forum!

Old 10-18-2012, 09:55 PM
1sttimejimmyowner is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by CodyL.
Well I'm new to this whole forum thing, but I joined in hopes that I can get helpful advice as problems occur on my Blazer. I got her a couple months ago; asking price was $2100 and I talked the dude down to $1650.
I replaced the spark plugs and performed an oil change, looked at the O2 sensor and saw that, rather than screwed in, it was clamped on with hose clamps and smothered in JB weld. I'm getting a new bung welded in the exhuast and a new O2 sensor put in.
Eventually she started to "put" and idle really funny, then the transmission leak began. Took it to a friend and was told I needed a new "upper Transmission Cooler Line." I'm getting that put on tomorrow as well. ohh and for some reason my gas gauge spazzez at times but mostly stays on "E" even after I fill up.

Any suggestions for a broke college student?
As for your gas guage problem you probaly have bad sending unit or stuck float in the gas tank.Try lightly pounding the bottom f the tank with block of wood and see if that frees your float in the tank.

Old 10-18-2012, 11:46 PM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

Welcome from Utah.

Old 10-19-2012, 03:13 PM

Thanks people I really appreciate that.

Old 10-20-2012, 12:42 AM
Toby Hanson will become famous soon enough

Welcome to the Blazer Forum. I found my way here a couple of years ago while learning about a '93 Jimmy that I bought. Now after that time I still have that Jimmy (and three more) and I've learned a lot about all of them.

Old 10-20-2012, 02:30 AM
ohsofly will become famous soon enoughohsofly will become famous soon enough

yeah there alt of us around here with alot of knowledge. If you own your own tools, then those and us are the only people you need and you can stop paying mechanics.

As for the fuel gauge, stuck on E is typically a stuck float in the tank as the guy above said. If banging on the tank doesnt work, then you gotta drop the tank when its close to empty and change out the "sending unit" that can be had for about fifty bucks. If the tanks empty you can drop it with basic sockets and wrenches and a buddy to help lift it down and back up again when you are done. Not a hard job. \if its pegging on F allt he time, its a bad ground and easier to fix...

\anyways, hang around, we will keep ya rolling and saving some bucks. with the money you save, you can buy us a beer sometime

Old 10-20-2012, 09:00 AM

I appreciate it bro. N ya brewskis on me

Old 10-23-2012, 07:15 AM
Starting Member
Melrock83 is on a distinguished road

U came to the right place for sure. And to add to the advice you done got, if u end u dropping the tank for the sending unit..according to how well its been takin care u may wanna consider replacing the fuel pump at the same time, especially if its never been replaced. Blazer fuel pumps are notorious for failing so why not take care of it if you end up "playing" with the gas tank anyway LOL Welcome by the way and even though I recently sold my blazer, my ol man still has one and so I still get to use all the knowledge these awesum members have given me....Good Luck

Old 10-23-2012, 08:34 PM

Thanks yall, the blocc of wood didn't help anything, and I aprreciate the suggestions on dropping the gas tank but I have neither the tools, nor the time to do that lol. College is a bitch...

Quick Reply: New to this, but here's my baby.