General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

New Guy Looking for Answers

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2010, 12:57 PM
Phatso is on a distinguished road
Default New Guy Looking for Answers

I have been a "hot rod" guy all of my life. I have owned Mustangs, Camaros, and a sprinkling of imports here and there. Well since I'm almost 40 I have decided its time to get into a Blazer/Jimmy and chill for a bit.

My first question is what year did fuel injection start in the 1G? I like the 1G Blazer/Jimmy but after my last Camaro I decided I do not want to mess with a carb any more.

Second question is between a two door and 4 door is there a significant difference in mpg? I'm guessing the 2G get better mpg than 1G but does the 4 door get much worse or marginally less than 2 door? I'm only asking as this will be my DD and I commute maybe 60 miles a day 5 days a week.

Regardless of my decision on 2 or 4 doors, 1G or 2G, I plan to drop it a bit and maybe pack some audio into it. I will adress audio issues once I decide on what to get. Thank you for reading.

Old 12-19-2010, 09:53 AM
ohsofly will become famous soon enoughohsofly will become famous soon enough

The 1Gs are easier to tinker with. My milage is about 400KM to the tank in the city, and about 550-600 on the highway, less with the trailer in tow. The good things about the 4WD, if you do your own front end work, the balljoints are factory riveted on, 2WD are pressed in which is a bugger to change.

It also makes a difference which V6 it has, the "W" code is much more powerful that the "Z" code engines. W is CPFI, and Z is TBI.

I love my 1G, its the second 1g S series Ive had. My brother has a 2G slammed pickup, and I dont like working on it for him, he goes through balljoints every year it seems. Good thing I have a balljoint press just for him.

late 80s models had TBI injection, I think the CPFI started in 92-93...? MPFI in 96 I think. Not positive though.

Old 12-19-2010, 10:22 AM
84BlazerS10 is on a distinguished road

I don't think there is much difference in 2 door or 4 door as there isn't a huge size difference.

This article might provide you with some information
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_S-10_Blazer

Old 12-19-2010, 02:35 PM
bigkhans is on a distinguished road

I think that S-10's sit fairly low as they are. Depending on your choice of wheel and tire combo, you may not need to lower the suspension much if at all. I've owned a couple of first gen blazers and all them were two door models. If you carry people frequently then you will want a four door model.

Old 12-19-2010, 07:56 PM

Ok thanks for the info guys. I can't decide if I want one to lower it or to lift it and do a little mudding. A friend of mine was here when I was looking at the wiki page and he said I should get a Bravada. I just don't think I could take something that nice off road. Oh and I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to get a 4 door. My wife didn't seem to like the idea of a 2 door and our kids. Oh well, dropped or lifted I guess I can rock a 4 door.

Last edited by Phatso; 12-19-2010 at 08:09 PM.
Old 12-19-2010, 09:41 PM
84BlazerS10 is on a distinguished road

Yeah, I think if I had a 4 door I would lift it but either way is cool.

Old 12-25-2010, 07:30 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ohsofly
The 1Gs are easier to tinker with. My milage is about 400KM to the tank in the city, and about 550-600 on the highway, less with the trailer in tow. The good things about the 4WD, if you do your own front end work, the balljoints are factory riveted on, 2WD are pressed in which is a bugger to change.

(1)It also makes a difference which V6 it has, the "W" code is much more powerful that the "Z" code engines. W is CPFI, and Z is TBI.

I love my 1G, its the second 1g S series Ive had. (2)My brother has a 2G slammed pickup, and I dont like working on it for him, he goes through balljoints every year it seems. Good thing I have a balljoint press just for him.

(3late 80s models had TBI injection, I think the CPFI started in 92-93...? MPFI in 96 I think. Not positive though.
1. it also makes a difference in the repair department as well. generally, the W codes cost more for the electronics end of it (sensors, fuel pump, etc.) but do have te extra "oomph" when you need it. the 2nd gen of the vortec is a much better design (that would be the SCFI design started in '96)

2. your brother must either (a) be using crapy "Made in China" bj's, or (b) not have a good alignment shop @ his disposal. (just my op fly, don't hate )

3. you're almost bang on Thomas. i've seen fuel injection on some late build '87 truck, but not a '87 i came across with a build date from the 1st quarter of production. the CPFI did start in '92, the SCFI in '96, and the MPFI came around in '02.

Originally Posted by Phatso
Ok thanks for the info guys. I can't decide if I want one to lower it or to lift it and do a little mudding. A friend of mine was here when I was looking at the wiki page and he said I should get a Bravada. I just don't think I could take something that nice off road. Oh and I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to get a 4 door. My wife didn't seem to like the idea of a 2 door and our kids. Oh well, dropped or lifted I guess I can rock a 4 door.
damn skippy 4 doors rock!

Old 12-26-2010, 10:46 PM

Thanks again everyone. Old Skool I love your sig, lots of sweet toys ya got there.

I think I am pretty set on a 4 door, now I gotta make two TOUGH choices. For some reason the lifted bug has bitten me, but the thought of a slightly lowered Blazer/Jimmy/Bravada is still possible. The second choice is Blazer, Jimmy or Bravada. In my searches around here I have found some nice Bravadas for cheap where as the Blazer/Jimmys cost a bit more for the same condition as the Bravada. Im fairly certain though that if I decide to lift, Im going with either a Jimmy or Blazer mostly because I know if I lift it, mudding will ensue at some point.

Old 12-27-2010, 09:39 AM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Phatso
I think I am pretty set on a 4 door, now I gotta make two TOUGH choices. For some reason the lifted bug has bitten me, but the thought of a slightly lowered Blazer/Jimmy/Bravada is still possible. The second choice is Blazer, Jimmy or Bravada. In my searches around here I have found some nice Bravadas for cheap where as the Blazer/Jimmys cost a bit more for the same condition as the Bravada. Im fairly certain though that if I decide to lift, Im going with either a Jimmy or Blazer mostly because I know if I lift it, mudding will ensue at some point.
first off, good call on the amount of doors. Bravada's are definately in the minority (both on the forum and out on the road), so it definately would make you stand out.

regarding the off-road issue...............i thought all Bravada's were AWD? not really sure about the 1st gens, since there was so few of them in Canada-or @ least in SCO. regarding 2nd gens.........i'm fairly certain that they were only available in AWD, with a few Blazer's optioned out with that feature. don't think i ever saw a Jimmy with AWD though.

or were you just more concerned about tearing off all of that nice Olds body work?

but it's all good, all-knowing Kyle will correct this point when he comes across it!

Old 12-28-2010, 11:48 AM

To the best of my knowledge all Bravada are AWD, but I did see a few posted as 2WD for sale so I could be mistaken.

I was mostly being silly about not wanting to off-roading a Bravada. I buy my vehicles to drive them and enjoy them so regardless of what I get, it will be used. Shoot, might as well mud in comfort right?

I have talked to a few people about the Bravada and they said the AWD is split 35% front and 65% rear and while it is ok for light off-roading, it's not as good as 4x4. So I will have to take that into consideration and beef up the week areas.

Quick Reply: New Guy Looking for Answers