General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

New (to me) Air Compressor!!

Old 10-10-2010, 06:30 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Talking New (to me) Air Compressor!!

Today I picked up a new compressor for the garage!! Took almost 4 hours worth of driving and some backyard ingenuity to get it into the back of the truck, but what a deal!!

My current compressor (Brunner single stage 2 piston w/ 30 gallon tank) has a hard time keeping up with my current air tools. I doubt it would be enough for the sand blaster I'm planning on purchasing fairly soon. But it was free and has served me VERY well.

I found my new compressor while browsing craigslist last week and it sounded like a pretty good deal. Little did I know... The owner didn't know what the model was or how large the compressor or tank were. He just said it was VERY heavy. What I soon found out was an understatement.

So anyway, the compressor is a Saylor-Beall VT-735-120 complete with matching compressor head (matching serial numbers). The S-B 705 compressor head on it is rated for a continuous 17.3CFM @ 175psi!! This thing is a MONSTER! It stands over 6 feet tall and weighs nearly 750lbs!!

About the only down side:

Yep, 3 phase... I'm going to be stopping by the local surplus electrical supply store this week to see if I can get a static 1PH to 3PH drive or a 1PH 5HP motor, but I think I'd rather get a drive.

Ok, so I'm saving the best for last... I only paid...

$150
^^^highlight^^^

Old 10-10-2010, 07:03 PM
Starting Member
robertr728 is on a distinguished road

Wow that thing is a beast. I would maybe use the old tank for extra air storage? Also IMO you would probably have more luck with a 5HP 220 Volt 1 Phase motor than trying to get 3 phase working. Good luck though and you should have enough air for many projects to come.

Old 10-10-2010, 07:19 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

With 120 gallons of capacity and 17.3CFM output, do you think the extra 30 gallons of capacity would make a big difference? I'll be running the switch between 120psi and 175psi with the output regulated down to around 120psi. This thing will run very infrequently and likely not run for long unless I am doing some real intensive work with air tools (sand blaster).

I can pick up a good static phase converter for around $400 which is about the same cost as a good 5HP 1PH motor. One of the benefits of a phase converter is that they typically have the ability to 'soft start' where they will ramp up the drive frequency, pulling a lower initial load.

I have a few options on the motor though. The compressor flywheel is 16.75" in diameter. The compressor is rated at 845RPM which is accomplished with the 1725RPM (4 pole) motor and a 8.25" drive pulley. I could step up to a 3500RPM (2 pole) motor and drop to a 4" drive pulley maintaining almost the same pump driven speed. I just have to figure out what the most economical solution is.

I will probably be making a cart for the old compressor and taking it out to my shed for use out there (no power). I'll just wheel it back into the garage to pump it back up. It is sealed up really well. The last time I leak tested it, it took over a week to drop 10psi.

Considering that it costs around $2k for a compressor of this capacity and quality...

Old 10-10-2010, 08:05 PM
BF Veteran
wlorton has a spectacular aura aboutwlorton has a spectacular aura about

Wow.... Just wow....

Old 10-10-2010, 08:06 PM
NVANZEE will become famous soon enough

That a really good deal for the price. Nice find. I think thats what we have at the dealership but we have 3 of them.

Old 10-10-2010, 08:13 PM
Administrator

You can buy this new for $2800!!! My god. I feel bad paying what I did for it now... The pictures in the ad didn't do it justice. There was nothing for size reference...

Old 10-10-2010, 08:26 PM
cbr995 will become famous soon enoughcbr995 will become famous soon enough

Nice old compressors you got!

We have a 60 gallon at work that I think we use at 175psi. It runs 9 oil pumps, and 4 auxiliary air hoses we use for airing tires and impact guns, and it keeps up fine.

Old 10-12-2010, 06:13 AM
R2P
Starting Member
R2P is on a distinguished road

I'd think the single phase motor would be the most efficient solution. Seems like there would be some loss in the conversion to triple phase which would effect your electric bill.

Old 10-12-2010, 06:57 AM
Administrator

There are slight losses, but nothing too great especially considering that this thing isn't going to run very often. One thing that might sway me into a single phase motor is that the surplus stores around me take trades. If I go with a phase converter, I won't have anything to trade. But a 1PH motor draws A LOT of amps on startup, sometimes 3-4 times max amps.

Old 10-12-2010, 07:18 AM
R2P
Starting Member
R2P is on a distinguished road

Why not use a 2PH motor?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New (to me) Air Compressor!!