General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

New tires, probably blew a CV, now what? [lots of pics!]

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 10:42 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about
Default New tires, probably blew a CV, now what? [lots of pics!]

So, this whole week was my spring break, and aside from sleeping in most days, working when I wasn't sleeping, I managed to get a few things done to the blazer!

First, I got in my P265/70/15 General Grabber AT2s (30x10.50s). That was on Monday, then on Tuesday, I went to get em mounted, and came home Tuesday afternoon to find UPS delivering ANOTHER set of tires. Weird.

I wanted the wider tire, but stuck with 30' to try and avoid fender issues...I was wrong . To show you how much wider than stock a 265/70 is...

But as I was driving home, I realized that the wider tire, coupled with no lift, on a 4.5' backspaced wheel, equals rub. And lots of it.
Not really any 'damage' from the rubbage, my back rear fender well got bent in a little from the tire, nothing bad though, and no damage to tire. I was going reallll slow on the turns.
So this is how she looked before I started trimming and adjusting!

Pretty good I think

So I loaded up the air compressor, and got the tools ready

I basically just rounded off the bottom of the fender that was rubbing, (after a bit of reversing to get better jack placement, the tab exposed itself nicely:

So I cut that part off, and 'finessed' the rest of the fender well so the tires cleared. Then I adjusted the T-Bars a bit (went up about an inch). It took 7.5 turns on the drivers side, and 7.5 turns on the passenger side. This only gave me about an inch or so due to dying shocks up front and the grille guard. But I now I can turn lock to lock with no problem, I only get a minor bit of rub on the passenger side when the suspenion compresses, but I can avoid that by not going to full lock!

The only problem I ran into was my passenger side CV joint. It decided that the grease would look better on the outside of the boot..and all over my lower control arm.

I cleaned all the grease off, and inspected the boot for tears (since the grease was noticed after the t-bar crank and a bit of driving). I saw no tears, and since wiping the grease, no more has appeared. Is it possible the increased angle just displaced some grease and it's all ok? Or did I kill my CV joint with that small T-bar adjustment???

Well after all that, Here's some final pics to satisfy everyone that was nagging me saying 'those wheels will stick out hellllla far ew'

and lastly:

So the abbreviated version for those of you that just scrolled and looked at the pretty pictures : I got 30x10.50s, and they rubbed a bit, so I had to trim, and then I lifted the T-Bars 1'. Since then, I leaked a lot of CV grease, but other than that no problems. Did I destroy my CV joint?

Also I have no lift in the back. I am debating getting 1.5' shackles, but thats 60 bucks and might not help anything, so I might just do the 2' Body lift and take the T-Bars back down. I've got the money for either, I just don't want to put the 2' BL on and then have my sexy new tires look too small! What do you guys think?!?

Old 03-07-2008, 10:49 PM
BF Veteran
thegr81 is on a distinguished road
Default RE: New tires, probably blew a CV, now what? [lots of pics!]

I would do the body lift and shackles if you can do both, your tires wont look itty bitty when you do them!!! The extra clearance will be an added bonus for offroading pleasure!!!

Old 03-07-2008, 10:51 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

Yea that's what I'm trying to get to! Because right now I can't do any offroading. Speedbumps scare me because I don't want to destroy a fender like Hanr3 posted in his Tire Size thread. And offroading is out of the question till I lift something!

Old 03-07-2008, 10:56 PM
BF Veteran
thegr81 is on a distinguished road

I would do both if you can, the added clearance will be most beneficial to you so you won't have to worry about tearing up a fender or mashing the rear at all!!!

Old 03-07-2008, 11:29 PM
gocartone is an unknown quantity at this point

Looks awesome!! Do you think you could get more pictures from different angles maybe? They make your Blazer look so much more aggressive! Thats the look I'm going for. Wish you had stock backspacing rims though so I would know how it would work out for me. Does anyone else know if 265's fit with stock rims?

Old 03-08-2008, 01:14 AM
BF Veteran
EuroGoldLS is on a distinguished road

Likin' the new tires bro . sucks that your fender got damaged.
I say body lift.

Old 03-08-2008, 06:51 PM
94blueknight is on a distinguished road

looks tight! lot more agressive with those tires now. i would say body lift for now if u dont have a lot of money otherwise u could look into a suspension lift all around. (or r the tbars fine in the front for clearance and its just the back? cuz if that then i would do add a leaf instead of shackels imo)

Old 03-08-2008, 08:03 PM
BF Veteran

Well...I went by my mechanic today to get my alignment checked, get a quick oil change, and get my ball joints and chassis lubed. I showed him the pic of the CV grease, and he said he'd check it out..

Well..my CV joint is blown on that side. Driver's side seems pretty good, but passengers is toast. He said the angles don't look bad at all, so it probably was just about gone and the T-bar lift did it in. Take from that what you will [&o]

Anyone know what's involved with putting in a new CV axle?

Old 03-09-2008, 10:27 AM
Starting Member
YepIOwnA97Blazer is an unknown quantity at this point

looks really good. those are the tires i want to put on this summer with tbar/shackles.

Old 03-09-2008, 11:21 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Looks mean! And yeah, green grease is telltale CV failure.

Quick Reply: New tires, probably blew a CV, now what? [lots of pics!]