General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

New to the world of Blazers

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 12:20 AM
Starting Member
cato86 is on a distinguished road
Default New to the world of Blazers

I just picked up a 2 dr 98 blazer 4x4. I want to turn it into my own and it is completely stock at this point but I have no idea on where to start looking fopr these things and I was just wanting help in going the right direction. I want to do the following:
1. About an 6 in suspension lift
2. Wheels and Tires
3. Exhaust
4. Do something with all the exterior lights

And any other ideas are appreciated as well. Thank anybody for the help

Old 01-10-2013, 04:43 PM
4x4blazerguy is on a distinguished road

A six inch lift? what & put tractor tires on it? These Blazers are very good off-road vehicles in there stock form with shocks & 6 ply tires. But a few inch lift I think looks good & it lets you put a little bigger tire on.
Exhaust all I did was replace the muffler with a Pro Flow Muffler. When I have to replace the cat I will have an aftermarket free flowing MagnaFlow cat installed. Ran that combo on my 97 Blazer. The ProFlow mufflers make a nice sound I think, plus last. I had 100,000 miles on the one on my 97 Blazer when I sold it. It was still in great shape. They get a little deeper tone as they get miles adding on.
What is wrong with the exterior lights?

Old 01-10-2013, 06:28 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

You cant really do a 6" lift comfortably with the IFS (independent front suspension) you will need a solid axle swap if you do not want to replace parts constantly.
As for exhaust, Just add a nice high flow cat ( I would say remove it but would get into trouble on here) and a nice muffler, flowmasters sound good on these trucks.
As for exterior lights. For second gens, there is a lot of after market options.
You can get "personal" and build all of them on your own, like I have sofar done, mostly with the tailsreverse lights. but I have a first gen, which has no after market options for tails and front markers
Do a search for the lights.

Old 01-11-2013, 01:39 AM
4x4blazerguy is on a distinguished road

I can tell you that removing cats as a rule hurts performance overall. Even if it was legal you really gain nothing unless your building a race motor. If you want to really change performance computer re-programers are the only way to gain.

Old 01-11-2013, 04:30 PM
Starting Member
xtrmes10 is on a distinguished road

Why does everybody allways say you can't really do a 6" lift with the IFS. Not everybody wants to do a SAS swap. Theres kits out there from Superlift and a 5" from BDS. Both are good kits. Doesn't hurt the front end parts any more then stock if your going to be wheeling it. I've had lifted trucks all my years of driving. My 89 Blazer has a Rancho kit in it for 20 years out it in when it was new. I can tell you I haven't replaced much of anything on it. Still has the factory CV shafts in it. Did upper ball joints once. Thats it.
I'm currently installing a 6" Superlift in my ZR2 now. I started a build thread on it if you want to check it out.
You other consideration is it's allot of work to put one in. Especially on an older Blazer because everything gets rusty.

Old 01-11-2013, 05:15 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by 4x4blazerguy
I can tell you that removing cats as a rule hurts performance overall. Even if it was legal you really gain nothing unless your building a race motor. If you want to really change performance computer re-programers are the only way to gain.
How does it hurt performance?

Old 01-11-2013, 06:10 PM
Diaita will become famous soon enough

Is there a particular size tire that you are wanting to fit, or do you just want it bigger?

Old 01-11-2013, 06:34 PM
adam7 is on a distinguished road

Superlift 6" or Superlift F.I.T. 6'' are the best lifts to get if you want a big lift with out a body lift. Our blazers good off road?? HAHAHA I dont know what kinda trails hes seen but out here they cant go anywhere with stock/hardly lifted.
Wheels and tires is gonna depend if you want dubs or actual wheels, and tires will depend of driving and usage.
Exhaust, Id suggest getting a whole kit. Its more money but all the bends are true and down restrict or pinch like pipes from just a pipe bender. I love my gibson but we also are limited to how many exhaust kits that are avaible to our trucks.
exterior lights im assuming you want to just change to be different from stock? No advice there, I hate aftermarket lighting 95% of the time and it never fits perfect.

Last edited by adam7; 01-11-2013 at 06:35 PM. Reason: Typo