General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

odd question

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 07:04 PM
Starting Member
rezlab will become famous soon enough
Default odd question

has anyone up graded to full size chevy tow hooks on their s10 blazers? if so how do i get them to fit? pics also if you have any.
thanks guys

Old 04-27-2012, 12:37 AM
4x4blazerguy is on a distinguished road

I have not. But the weak link in the S-10 Blazer hooks as I see it is where they mount. To beef them up a plate on top & bottom to stiffen the frame area. Is what I would do.

Old 04-27-2012, 12:46 AM
97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough

I dont think the stock ones are that weak.. mine have been yanked on pretty hard and they are fine.

The day after my friend put tow hooks on his blazer he rear ended a lowered civic and since the tow hook sticks out a little it pushed the bumper and the frame of the civic into the back seats and literally nothing happened to his truck, besides the tow hook got a little bent.

In other words they are pretty strong. But if you want to make it stronger like blazerguy said, you would just have to weld a plate onto the frame. But you dont want that to be to strong because you want that to break/bend before other parts of your frame do.

Old 04-27-2012, 09:39 AM
Starting Member
rezlab will become famous soon enough

i had them laying around in the garage so i thought i would put them on. the frame goes between the hook and a plate that the bolts thread into but there not as long as the stock tow hooks so a valance mod is required,along with drilling the mounting holes out a little. i don't like welding on a frame in less i have no other choice. thanks for the input guys i was considered about the strength of the hooks as they do look a lil small for a blazer in my opinion.

Old 04-28-2012, 08:55 PM
4x4blazerguy is on a distinguished road

As far as my hooks they are plenty strong for pulling on. The weakness I found was jacking on them with a Handiman jack. The frame just bends up on the bottom. Adding reinforcement to the bottom frame I think would help. I take my Blazer where I probably should have a winch but I have always said a Handiman Jack is a poor mans winch. I have gotten out of some pretty hairy situations with just a Handiman & a couple of chains & an axle to drive into the ground to hook on to.