General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Offroad insurance question

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 05:28 PM
Banned
Spectreblazer is on a distinguished road
Default Offroad insurance question

i live in michigan and im going up to silver lake this summer. can i run up there just on plpd. or does it require a special insurance? i know i got to get an orv liscense sticker, but do the insurance companies have any way to see you have one on your vehicle without look. what i mean is can they look it up by your specific vehicle they insure. thanks

Old 01-22-2010, 05:44 PM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

um... IIRC, you want to know:
1) do you need dune insurance to sand it up
2) does you insurance provider need to know you use your vehicle at OHV parks

if that is the case then here are my answers:
1) check with the park. i would say the vast, vast majority will not require any special insurance as it is an OHV park.

2) you would only NEED to tell you Insurance provider you were planning an OHV park trip if you are taking a business/work rig and needed special coverage, you have your policy designated for sitting only (or stupid low miles per month), or you want to take out some temporary special coverage like "Loss due to UTV splashed through windshield"

otherwise, get yourself a sticker, and a flag and you are ready to roll. that easy. when in doubt, contact the place where you wish to play. they would know their rules better than most

Old 01-22-2010, 06:27 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ABN31B
um... IIRC, you want to know:
1) do you need dune insurance to sand it up
2) does you insurance provider need to know you use your vehicle at OHV parks

if that is the case then here are my answers:
1) check with the park. i would say the vast, vast majority will not require any special insurance as it is an OHV park.

2) you would only NEED to tell you Insurance provider you were planning an OHV park trip if you are taking a business/work rig and needed special coverage, you have your policy designated for sitting only (or stupid low miles per month), or you want to take out some temporary special coverage like "Loss due to UTV splashed through windshield"

otherwise, get yourself a sticker, and a flag and you are ready to roll. that easy. when in doubt, contact the place where you wish to play. they would know their rules better than most

its my own personal vehicle so from what it sounds like ill just have my plpd and go with it. also what if i have a vehicle that is purely a dune vehcile. like an 82k5. can i register it under plpd and just go up there, its gonna see some road. i dont think it would be that much different, but just incase i thought i should ask.

Old 01-22-2010, 08:00 PM
Banned

what about liability. when you get to the dunes do they make you sign something saying they are not responsible for any damage? for example if someone got in a non life threating wreck with someone else on the dunes what would take place?

Old 01-22-2010, 08:47 PM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

a fist fight

just do wat everyone else does: DONT WRECK. look for the flags. approach hills at the entrance slowly. don't open her up until you get out a ways. Oh, and look for the flags.

dont drink either.... that usually doesnt end up sso hot for you at the dunes (out here anyway)

Old 01-22-2010, 08:58 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ABN31B
a fist fight

just do wat everyone else does: DONT WRECK. look for the flags. approach hills at the entrance slowly. don't open her up until you get out a ways. Oh, and look for the flags.

dont drink either.... that usually doesnt end up sso hot for you at the dunes (out here anyway)

alright just curious. save the drinking for the campgrounds

Old 01-23-2010, 01:46 AM
NVANZEE will become famous soon enough

it doesnt matter what insurance you have. Yes you do have to sign a waiver saying that the park is not responsible for anything that happens. So if you crash you truck os someone hits you its your problem. For the K5 if your driving it on the road it will have to be road legal. Including lights, mirrors, seat belts, etc. It will also need a valid license plate, it would have to be registers and insured.

Old 01-23-2010, 11:49 AM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Spectreblazer
i know i got to get an orv liscense sticker,
what's that sticker?

Originally Posted by NVANZEE
it doesnt matter what insurance you have. Yes you do have to sign a waiver saying that the park is not responsible for anything that happens. So if you crash you truck os someone hits you its your problem. For the K5 if your driving it on the road it will have to be road legal. Including lights, mirrors, seat belts, etc. It will also need a valid license plate, it would have to be registers and insured.
thanks Nick, i was gonna tell him it's pretty much the same requirements everywhere (even up here).

a lot of the trail guys i used to hang with, trailered their rigs to the "play ground" for the day/weekend. since they used them only on the trails, they saved coin on keeping the insurance costs down with no PLPD (which is where they make a killing on us).

all but one guy had street legal quailifications on their trucks (ie, lights, horn, bumpers, etc.), they just wanted to keep the coverage charges down to a bare minimum.

Old 01-23-2010, 12:52 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by old skool luvr
what's that sticker?

thanks Nick, i was gonna tell him it's pretty much the same requirements everywhere (even up here).

a lot of the trail guys i used to hang with, trailered their rigs to the "play ground" for the day/weekend. since they used them only on the trails, they saved coin on keeping the insurance costs down with no PLPD (which is where they make a killing on us).

all but one guy had street legal quailifications on their trucks (ie, lights, horn, bumpers, etc.), they just wanted to keep the coverage charges down to a bare minimum.

this k5 has got everything to be road legal , it just has a monster lift 8" total. so i dont know if the height would be a problem. in MI you have to pay for a orv "sticker" you put on the back.

Old 01-23-2010, 01:30 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Spectreblazer

Originally Posted by old skool luvr
what's that sticker?
in MI you have to pay for a orv "sticker" you put on the back.
my question was, what is that, the "ORV"? off road vehicle?

wait,it just kinda hit me as i typed it in in capitals.

as far as i know, we don't have that up here (in Ontario), but i think some places require you to have a trail pass for that area. not 100% sure, but i've heard some of my trail guys talking about it before.

Quick Reply: Offroad insurance question