General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

oil brands

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 03:02 PM
WhiteTie BlackJacket is an unknown quantity at this point
Default oil brands

I never really payed any attention to oil prices before last night and noticed that advance autos brand was a dollar cheaper a quart than havoline, which is what I have been using. Is there anything bad about the advance stuff?
also did a search to see if this had already been asked and found this, and then almost peed myself laughing.

Old 12-12-2007, 03:03 PM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough
Default RE: oil brands

No clue if it's any good or not, lol... I run Amsoil in my truck...

Old 12-12-2007, 03:06 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Our engines are not at all picky about their engine oil, any major brand will be fine for it. I use Havoline exclusively and get good used oil analyses with it. For $1 per quart ($5 per oil change) why take a chance with a re-branded oil?

Old 12-12-2007, 04:50 PM
igot10pinitis is an unknown quantity at this point

i want my blazer to last so i switched to mobil 1 extended performace full synthetic last change. 28 bucks for the 5 gallon jug. Bought a mobil one extended performace oil filter too..thats another 10.

They SAY the extended performace will last 15k miles. I only got about 3500 on it so far prolly change it next spring, i don't plan on it seeing 15k miles either..lol

Old 12-12-2007, 04:59 PM
BF Veteran
EuroGoldLS is on a distinguished road

A five gallon jug? You must mean 5 quart.

Anyway. I switched over to fully synthetic on my last oil change. I got 5 quarts ofValvoline fully synthetic and a bosch oil filter for 20 bucks at autozone. Whether they are still running that special, I don't know. You can get the Valvoline synthetic blend and a Bosch oil filter for 15 bucks.

Old 12-12-2007, 05:17 PM
dbleon is an unknown quantity at this point

I hear everywhere that blazers arent picky.... true! I also have read all over the oil forums that valvoline max life syn blend CANNOT be beat for the money... I'm switching all my trucks to it! FYI I also had good results with plain castrol gtx, looked really good at 5,000k. All the oil experts pretty much agree that valvoline max life is the shiz, thats why Im switching (I'm no expert, so i take the advice of those who are). Dont waste your money on amsoil, or mobil 1... not that great for this application. My rule on oils: Motorcycles... shell rotella (best shiz, tons of years using it too)Cars... valvolinemax life(starting from now on).

Old 12-12-2007, 11:00 PM
Idriveachevy is an unknown quantity at this point

There oil forums? I use Castrol GTX in the blazer

Old 12-13-2007, 08:26 AM
Starting Member
cr1msonmyst is an unknown quantity at this point

I've always been a fan of valvoline... kept my taurus running great.. til the oil pump died lol... but i still use it

Old 12-13-2007, 08:52 AM
Starting Member
FRICKINNUTS is an unknown quantity at this point

I change my oil a quart at a time :-) Rear main seal leaking about a quart a month. Lets see Rear main seal $500 - quart of oil $2. That's 250 months and at about 800 miles a month I drive by the time I use the price of the oil over the price of the seal the truck will have another 200,000 miles on it, add that to the 240,000 now and I'm thinkin that will be about the time I'll have to drop a v-8 in there.
Of course that's 12 years away and gas will be $98 a gallon so I'll be on the train anyway.
Dump in some 10w40 and slow the leak down alittle, maybe get a extra year :-)

Old 12-13-2007, 11:00 AM
Jharper is infamous around these partsJharper is infamous around these parts

I run Mobile 1 in the blazer, and Royal Purple in the grand prix. Royal Purple is one of the best oils i have ever used.

Quick Reply: oil brands