General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

oil brands

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 04:41 PM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough
Default RE: oil brands

To get any real HP gain out of using Royal Purple (and this test was done on a Dodge Viper), they used RP engine oil AND transmission/differential fluids.

Got them like 3 extra HP at the wheels.

FYI, Mobil 1 is no longer a group 4 synthetic, it's a group 3/4... Most "oil crazy" people call it as no longer being a true synthetic.

I run Amsoil in my Blazer, and it idles smoother, revs quicker, and gets better mileage than it did on Mobil 1.

Wix based filters FTW! Napa Gold, AC Delco are both Wix made filters... I'm not sure if Mobil 1 actually makes their own filter or outsources it.

Old 12-13-2007, 08:42 PM
WhiteTie BlackJacket is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: swartlkk

I call BS on the RP hp gains. 20HP Yeah freakin' right! If it were that much, everyone would be using it.
Yeah I think he pulled that out of his ***.

Old 12-13-2007, 09:09 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

But real world, to notice a 6hp gain just won't happen. Even for the dyno that HPTV did, that was ONE run. To get accurate dyno data for this type of a comparison, you have to do multiple runs to get a true statistical answer that gets beyond the inherent tolerance of the dyno being used. No dyno is without a tolerance window.

When it comes right down to it, use whatever oil it is that gives you that 'peace of mind'. If you feel like dropping your paycheck on the expensive stuff because someone said it rocked, be my guest. If you aren't into extended drains and/or oil analysis, in my opinion you are wasting your money.

Old 12-13-2007, 10:05 PM
dbleon is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: swartlkk

But real world, to notice a 6hp gain just won't happen. Even for the dyno that HPTV did, that was ONE run. To get accurate dyno data for this type of a comparison, you have to do multiple runs to get a true statistical answer that gets beyond the inherent tolerance of the dyno being used. No dyno is without a tolerance window.

When it comes right down to it, use whatever oil it is that gives you that 'peace of mind'. If you feel like dropping your paycheck on the expensive stuff because someone said it rocked, be my guest. If you aren't into extended drains and/or oil analysis, in my opinion you are wasting your money.
+1... it isnt like blazers are hot rods (some exceptions)I bought mine for $2000, why would I spend so much on oil. I had a '95 s-10 truck with the 4.3 and it had over 250K on the original drivetrain.... I swear I only changed the oil every 10k with regular valvoline or castrol and a purolator filter. Cost like $12.... that truck ran SOLID till the day I sold it. If thats not convincing then ?????

Old 12-14-2007, 05:02 AM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

As long as you don't use a Fram filter, you'll be fine...

Old 12-14-2007, 07:19 AM
aris_unlimited is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: drperry

As long as you don't use a Fram filter, you'll be fine...

I really hope you have some reasoning behind this one.

I use the Fram extended guard and according to studies and forums I have checked out it is one of the best filters out there with one of the highest filtration rates.

Old 12-14-2007, 07:29 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The Xtra Guard is what I think you mean and these are decent filters. It is frams other filter lines that give them a bad rep. They may have gotten better, but in my experience with them (2 wasted motors caused directly by faulty check and/or pressure relief valves), I will never touch them again. Fram's quality control years back was horrible. When they moved to higher retail sales (Walmart, K-mart, etc), they dropped the ball big time with faulty components. Filter media that wasn't securely fastened to cardboard end caps, flimsy pressure relief valves that would bypass the filter media practically from new, anti-drain back valves that simply did not work, thin metal shells, etc.

Use what you want, but I'll never buy another fram filter ever. Especially with the quality filters that can be purchased for cheaper than the Xtra Guard filters like Wix, Napa Gold (made by Wix), Purolator Plus and Purolator PureOne (synthetic media), and ofcourse AC Delco filters.

Old 12-14-2007, 07:39 AM
WhiteTie BlackJacket is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow i didnt know that, Ive been using Fram filters just b/c of the sure-grip on it you dont have to fool w/ a wrench trying to get it off...

Old 12-14-2007, 08:07 AM
quinnman105 is an unknown quantity at this point

I use The Xtra Guard NO PROBLEMS withit at all.

Old 12-14-2007, 09:43 AM
cain_45 is an unknown quantity at this point

Mobil 1 FTW....I spend as much on an oil change doing it myself as someone who goes to Jiffy Lube and pays and gets a lower quality oil. Extended drain...DON'T BUY IT...I call BS.

I still and always will change oil at 3k miles.

Quick Reply: oil brands