General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Old dog, new trick

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 07:53 PM
Beginning Member
wy0mn is on a distinguished road
Default Old dog, new trick

Turned 50 a few months back.
Tomorrow I've got a kid coming over to show me how to replace wheel bearings and install manual hubs (yipee, they finally came in).
Its just something I've never had to do before, and he works for beer.
The same fellow helped me swap out a steering column. After seeing that done, I'd attempt it myself; but not alone with the Chiltons manual I have!
Been enjoying the heck out of my bike (TW200) while the Blazers been down, but I'm getting behind on my ranch work.
Playtime is over...

Old 05-31-2010, 08:01 PM
88s10Blazer is an unknown quantity at this point

Hope it goes well and you get back on top of work!

Old 05-31-2010, 08:42 PM
BF Veteran
wlorton has a spectacular aura aboutwlorton has a spectacular aura about

Goodluck

Old 05-31-2010, 09:57 PM
84BlazerS10 is on a distinguished road

Good luck with it can't say I've ever done that myself so no matter how old you are you always learn something new.

Old 06-01-2010, 10:24 AM
Beginning Member

This guy is really good! I can learn a lot from him.
I call him a kid, but he's 34 with a really young mindset. Single parenting, which I respect the heck out of, since I did the same myself.
He's out on recuperative leave now, wrist surgery, but he can operate me by remote control for the manual labor.
He's out of town now, supervising his parents on a plumbing job. Should return this week, and we'll finish the project.
I've looked at the youtube vids on all aspects of this job, and might be able to bungle thru it myself. But where safety is concerned I don't mess around. Besides, if I screw up a part, I'd have another wait for replacements to arrive.
Next on the upgrades is to replace the sending unit for the fuel tank. I've done this on a F150 before so I think I can handle that.
Be safe my friends.
Lex

Last edited by wy0mn; 06-01-2010 at 10:35 AM.
Old 06-02-2010, 12:36 AM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

i must've missed the part where you said what Blazer you were working on................

Old 06-02-2010, 12:51 AM
BF Veteran
kiwiblazer is on a distinguished road

Check out the pic in his album. the truck is in front of the shed. I can't identify what it is since we don't see many of them here. LOL

Old 06-02-2010, 01:27 AM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

^^^ ummmm.............you being a smart-*** kiwi? that's no Blazer, it's a F150 xcab. (stop looking @ the pic upside down)

Old 06-02-2010, 01:35 AM
BF Veteran
kiwiblazer is on a distinguished road

I stand corrected oh wise one! LOL Maybe now you understand why I'd rather be living in the US or Canada. Snow or no snow - Obama or no Obama! ( ? or ? for Canada!) LOL

Old 06-02-2010, 06:56 AM
Beginning Member

You folks are funny, I think I've fallen into the right stuff.
The Blazer is a '91 K5 auto (16mpg) with the offroad package & a 350 Vortec, according to my knowledgeable friend.
Its a FrankenBlazer with Jimmy hood & front quarter panels, and a working SOB when everything is running right.
Its only the second 4wd I've ever been around, other than contracted work trucks which we aren't allowed to maintain. The F150 my brain-dead stepson destroyed, was my first 4wd.

Heres a bit of painful humor for ya:
I'd just put a new (used) tranny & new tires on the F150.
First day at a summer job the kid decides to take it cross country on a dirt road with mega ruts. Popped the bead on both rear tires & drove it home on two flats!
The loss of clearance, and the ruts, allowed him to bottom out the rear end (cracked), damage the xfer case, & other small but expensive crap.
The kid drove it over 12mi on the rear rims! I followed the the cuts in the dirt for 12mi before I found the rubber he shed, and still don't know exactly where he started driving on flats back when it still had tires! He said he noticed no difference in handling.
I ditched the truck. It had an unlucky history of repairs before that idiot got ahold of it.
The kids a sophomore at the Oregon Institute of Technology, majoring in Electrical Engineering. I sure hope my future DIL screws around and presents me with an intelligent grand-child!
Lex

Quick Reply: Old dog, new trick