General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Opinions on this cheap CAI?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 10:46 PM
rodeofan5656 is on a distinguished road
Default Opinions on this cheap CAI?

im wantin to put a Cold Air Intake on my 2000 Blazer LS 4x4. i found this cheapy on eBay. i was just wonderin if anybody runs this and what they think. please let me know! is it worth the money?

also, do CAIs actually boost your power?

i like the look of the blue rubber, and red filter haha

BLUE RED CHEVY S10 BLAZER 4.3L V6 ZR2 LS SS XTREME COLD AIR INTAKE 1996-2005 | eBay

Old 09-05-2012, 10:49 PM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

Few done it,"works fine"

Doesnt really do a damn thing but make a roaring noise. Get intake,exhaust,then you MUST Get a tune to get real power changes.

Old 09-05-2012, 11:00 PM

so a muffler (glasspack is about all i can afford right now) and the intake just make it sound good? no real power increase?

id like it to be alittle louder. i grew up around loud trucks and bikes. so i wanna be able to here this thing humm goin down the road, but not annoyinly loud

Old 09-05-2012, 11:01 PM

and im not really lookin for power. mostly what im lookin for is a good sound and slightly increased MPGs if possible. id rather it now sound like a pissed off bee or rice racer. what can i do to make it sound good?

Old 09-05-2012, 11:08 PM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

Dont buy a glasspack. sure.it'll be somewhat loud.you loose a tad bit of low end torque and it'll crackle at high rpm and you'll have to upgrade your speakers to help with that annoying drone noise at 60 mph.

If you want loud,flowmaster 40,if you want it to sound decent,44 series or a 50 series.

Old 09-05-2012, 11:26 PM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

A CAI will give you that cool throttle body sound from the engine compartment. Maybe a bit of power, torque but not too mucking fuch.
Before I got my supercharger a guy at a garage I frequent just got his exhaust done & was asking the owner about a CAI. I said come outside & have a listen. He had a 2000 "something" silverado with a 5.7 & when he heard my 4,3 his eyes lit up & a huge smile lol. He said YUP gettin one of them this week!

<edit> That seems like an oiled filter, which is fine. Just don't over oil the filter or you'll have MAF codes & be cleaning it frequently.

Old 09-06-2012, 08:01 AM

well i wont be drivin much on the highway, i dont have the money to cruize around all the time. the only time ill be on the interstate is once a month to take a visit back home from school. its more one of those "im a college kid and wanna 'show off' for the guys" kinda things haha. honestly, i think ill do the glasspack temporarily, til i get a few more paychecks.

now, does anyone have any objections on the intake? i wanna make sure im not wastin my money on it

Old 09-06-2012, 09:11 AM
smaiwald is on a distinguished road

I put one like that on my 2001. I made a heat shield out of sheet metal for it. I've noticed a better noise when accelerating, better throttle response, about a 1 mpg increase and better acceleration. My whole setup with CAI , heatshield and high heat paint was around $80. I think it was worth it but I wouldnt have spent the $300 for a K&N.

Just my 2 cents

Old 09-06-2012, 09:20 AM

my dad swore by K&N, i just cant afford it. he put one on his '07 F150 w/ a 4.6L, along with a Magnaflow muffler. the exhaust only went to the back of the cab..

im tryin to do all that i can do without spendin too much.

now one more question- whos got cheap setups on their 4.3L blazers that they think worked the best?

thanks for all the info guys!!

Old 09-06-2012, 07:14 PM
Starting Member
91chevywt is an unknown quantity at this point

I bought my Jimmy with a cheap cold air intake installed, and I wish it came with the stock intake setup so I could go back. Mine's a plastic "Spectre" setup and it's honestly a piece of crap. The truck had a glasspack muffler on it too and it sounded like crap. With the dynomax cat-back it sounds alright.

Quick Reply: Opinions on this cheap CAI?