General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Over Drive vs. Drive

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 07:10 PM
Starting Member
carterx is on a distinguished road
Default Over Drive vs. Drive

Just to be 100%, OverDrive is the "D" with the "O" in the center.

Anyways, As I have read online, using OD for city, highway etc. is recommended but I should use "D" drive for towing.

I had the truck out today with the trailer with the bike on it and used it in "D" and when on the highway for the heck of it I put it into "OD" and the RPM's dropped a couple thousand and had no issues. Wondering if when on the highway at highway speeds if I should put into "OD" and use "D" when in city and hills. With the RPM difference would think I would be buring more gas when at highway speeds when in "D" drive.

Old 05-21-2009, 07:22 PM
mech cb is on a distinguished road

You're exactly right. Under 40-50 mph and on hills you wanna use drive. Over 40-50 and everything else you wanna use OD. I'm not sure about hauling though....

Old 05-21-2009, 07:35 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You should be using overdrive unless you find the transmission constantly down-shifting and up-shifting as you are keeping speed. To drop down into 3rd when under 40-50mph will only accomplish one thing, decreasing your fuel mileage.

Old 05-21-2009, 07:41 PM
mech cb is on a distinguished road

I've never noticed overdrive really help in any of my rides till at least 40. I've always been told use drive around the neighborhoods and use od for cruisin. Somethin with the way it shifts.

Old 05-21-2009, 08:08 PM
Starting Member
carterx is on a distinguished road

Now I was told.... rather read online that OD should be used for in town and cruising and D should be used for towing and/or hills.

Old 05-21-2009, 08:30 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Again, if you can hold your speed, even while towing, in OD, there is no reason to shift down to 3rd. It is a matter of heat buildup. Constant shifting produces heat. If the torque converter unlocks, it produces heat. You want the least amount of heat.