General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

overhead console caught fire!

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2014, 08:29 AM
Renthorin is on a distinguished road
Default overhead console caught fire!

well, almost. I started the truck and let it warm up. Got in about 5 minutes later and realized I'd forgotten to do something in the house. Bah...shut the truck off (warm now) and went inside for 15 min.

Came back out and started it back up. 10 seconds later I start to smell that wonderful burning wire smell and see smoke coming out of the overhead display.

Shut the truck off and opened the door to kill the power. Dome lights were off and I could see an orange glow from up in the console start to dim and go out.

Dropped the console and to my delight...mice had moved in and pee/crap all over the connector to the built in garage door opener.

The connection was a melted mess. I snipped the wires and insulated them and all is good. I miss that garage door opener but oh well.

Stupid mice!!!

Old 01-27-2014, 01:14 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

thats kind of a new one for mice to live. worst i seen is they lived under some guys fuse panel under the hood and chewed up all the wiring. only chewed through two wires completely though

Old 01-27-2014, 05:19 PM

Most of the nest was in the pastic piece that the console connects to. I guess they used the circuit part for a bathroom :-(

Old 01-27-2014, 05:28 PM
Diaita will become famous soon enough

Lil' bastards!! I've had to empty dog food from the bottom of my air box before. I bet it was 1/3 full!

Old 01-27-2014, 05:32 PM

Yeah they crammed the air cleaner on my Kawasaki full of sunflower seeds too.

Old 01-29-2014, 01:23 AM
step66 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have been driving a 97 with an overhead console and a sunroof for 5 years now,when I stole it one of the problems was what you describe:no interior lights and all associated wiring GONE! I accomodated this by adding my own lighting but eventually found the culprit to be one of the previous owners utilized the stock wiring system to power an outrageous sound & lighting system using the factory harness! A fire at some point occurred as it also melted the seat belt and all the wiring and switches on the left side.Replacing said wiring would be foolhardy in my unit,but I did have to replace the seatbelt and a few inside panels,which I had on hand and have never had to replace on any other vehicle I have owned. Search of sound & light in a stock Blazer is shear stupidty,thankfully I saved this Jimmy and have attained almost 5 years of great service from this unit! Too bad it must now be retired as its days are over...