General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Painting tow hooks

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 07:28 PM
dimmuborgir6nik6 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Painting tow hooks

I know a lot of people usually put fog lights where the tow hooks underneath the front bumper are, but I find my hooks pretty useful so I wanna keep them in. The thing is they're old and kinda rusty, so I was considering repainting them black. Then I thought, hell, if I'm gonna repaint them I should make them look good.
I was considering painting them red, or hot rod red if I could find a can. Red hooks with a teal bumper would look pretty neat.
What are you thoughts on this?
Red hooks: If anything I'd do this even though it's dark red. Photoshop doesn't show bright colors over black colors using the multiply tool.

Yellow hooks: I just realized I don't like it but maybe someone else will..

Green hooks: It matches the truck so it looks good, but I'd have to find matching paint.

Overall, if I'm not persuaded enough to do one of these colors, it will just be black.

Old 12-01-2007, 07:52 PM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Painting tow hooks

Stick with black, or 'chrome'.

Old 12-01-2007, 07:54 PM
BF Veteran
EuroGoldLS is on a distinguished road

I'd have posted this in Paint, Body, and Interior.
Anyway, I think you should just paint them chrome. See this thread: https://blazerforum.com/m_91684/tm.htm

Old 12-01-2007, 07:56 PM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future

i would do black or if you go with a color, go with the same color as your truck

heres a link to a pic of mine. if i posted the pic, it would be too small to clearly see the hooks. its kinda hard to see but its the best pic i got of them.

http://aycu32.webshots.com/image/371...2540731_rs.jpg

i painted the tow hooks a flat black.

and i also painted the skidplate silver. i used krylon black for the hooks and krylon chrome for the plate

Old 12-01-2007, 08:34 PM
Blazin_Jason will become famous soon enough

Get em powder coated.

Old 12-02-2007, 12:59 AM
lennyblazer is on a distinguished road

I painted mine once with some rustoleum spray can paint sanded them down to the metal and primed them. They didnt last but maybe halfway into the winter before they were rusty again. So now I just went and got some of that rust convertor to black primer stuff. Sprayed a couple coats of that and then used an actual good rustolem semi gloss black that stops rust. So we will see how long they last. They look good right now, i dont have any pictures of them and my truck is covered with salt spray and snow right now so I would have to clean em up before I take a pic.

I would just stay with black cause then they don't become an eye sore later on.

Old 12-02-2007, 01:14 AM
[[B3k@h]] is an unknown quantity at this point

Wait a minute guys... Maybe I'm just a retard, but.... I mean, I don't know much about tow hooks, & I'm sure that's painfully obvious... But if they're rusty .. Isn't that a bad thing? As in, shouldn't you replace them or go all Billy Mays on them or something?

Old 12-02-2007, 01:17 AM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute

Using Rustoleum or similar rust-converter products is going Billy Mays on them. And the rust is usually just on the surface which doesn't effect performance or sturdiness, just aesthetics.

Old 12-02-2007, 01:23 AM
[[B3k@h]] is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh... [sm=outcold.gif] I must've been born blonde. That one totally excaped me. Maybe I should read slower -lol-

Old 12-02-2007, 03:39 AM
dimmuborgir6nik6 is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: EuroGoldLS

I'd have posted this in Paint, Body, and Interior.
Anyway, I think you should just paint them chrome. See this thread: https://blazerforum.com/m_91684/tm.htm
Chrome would look good, but I don't have anything else on my truck in chrome, so it would kinda stick out too much and maybe come out looking kinda weird, especially since I'd prefer more black stuff on my truck. And next to the black push bar I just installed.

Quick Reply: Painting tow hooks