General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Parking brake?

Old 12-21-2010, 07:49 PM
Starting Member
antman94 is on a distinguished road
Angry Parking brake?

I just bought a 2001 jimmy yesterday and the parking brake seemed to be working fine. Id push it down and it would stay, then id pull the handle and it would come back up after holding the handle for about 2 seconds. But it never came back all the way. I had to give it a nudge with my foot from underneath the pedal for the last 1/2 inch to turn the BRAKE! light off. But then today, it doesn't seem like its working. F**k truck what ya doin??! I push the parking brake pedal down and it just goes right back where it started, not on at all. What could this be? Is there anything I could adjust or is this a common problem?

Sorry if this is in the wrong thread, and thank you in advance for any help

Old 12-21-2010, 08:10 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

You will probably need to replace the actuator lever assembly up under the left dash.

Old 12-21-2010, 10:05 PM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future

rriddle3 is correct. There isn't much as far as adjustment goes and the whole assembly likely needs to be replaced in order to fix it. My brake pedal did the exact same thing where it would need some help coming all the way back up. Eventually, it gave out completely and would return to the top as soon as you removed your foot just as you described. It's a fairly simple, straightforward replacement though. Removing the cables jacket from the assembly is the hardest part

Old 12-22-2010, 05:46 AM
Starting Member

Thanks. Im glad someone had the same problem too and im not alone lol. Im a noob with car stuff since this is my first car and all i have been restoring was dirtbikes so, could someone please post a link to what I need to get. Thanks alot!

Last edited by antman94; 12-22-2010 at 05:51 AM.
Old 12-22-2010, 03:20 PM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by antman94
Thanks. Im glad someone had the same problem too and im not alone lol. Im a noob with car stuff since this is my first car and all i have been restoring was dirtbikes so, could someone please post a link to what I need to get. Thanks alot!
I'm not 100% positive on this since the pics I took are kind of blurry but the part number looks like GM 15016010. I think it was only ~$40 or so at the dealer.

click to enlarge

Old 12-22-2010, 03:42 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

well it good to see you @ least use your parking brake.

such an essential part off your truck, and so few use it.

Old 12-23-2010, 04:48 AM
Starting Member

Thanks mdehoogh! I also agree with using the parking brake, having a big vehicle like that doesnt make feel like putting it in park is enough

Old 12-23-2010, 10:35 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

never mind that, it'll save your trans unwanted wear.