General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Pic of Ride, do I have "bad" rear suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 10:10 PM
Beginning Member
Seabbatical is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Pic of Ride, do I have "bad" rear suspension?

Here is a picture of my blazer towing "Seabbatical" which is a 20' boat weighing around 3500-4000 pounds depending on the amount of fuel and supplies. Do you think the rear suspension is sagging to much or is that just a normal thing from the towing. I am thinking of upgrading the suspension soon.

[IMG]local://upfiles/9089/22E2A9DF8BE94613B9B9FE106E614E59.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-26-2007, 10:31 PM
Blazin_Jason will become famous soon enough
Default RE: Pic of Ride, do I have "bad" rear suspension?

Doesn't seem all that bad to me. Since you use it for towing it would probably be a good idea to do something about it. Have the springs re-arched (usually will add in another spring), install add a leafs, air shocks, or air spring helpers.

Old 12-27-2007, 12:08 AM
Binz316 is an unknown quantity at this point

looks alright from the pic. I will point I pull roughly the same size boat and mine sat too low until I got an adjustable hitch....just a suggetion if ya don't already have one

Old 12-27-2007, 12:28 AM
lennyblazer is on a distinguished road

Looks pretty good to me. I have had my blazer sagging worse than that with stuff in it and people in it. Once I had 9 people and a 200 pound cardboard boat on the roof (don't worry i didnt go faster than 20mph and I was in a parade for my college's homecoming, followed by the cardboat race).

Old 12-27-2007, 12:39 AM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about

It's hard to see from that angle how much further your boat could go back on the trailer. If you adjust the front bracket with the winch back a few inces it will decrease the tongue weight.

Old 12-27-2007, 04:12 AM
BF Veteran
thegr81 is on a distinguished road

I agree with chevy lover the less on the tounge means the less on your rear end!!!!

Old 12-27-2007, 06:08 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You need a bit of tongue weight, but not a ton. If you can pick up the tongue to set it onto your hitch, you have it about right.

I agree with everyone else that it looks normal, but a bit heavy on the tongue weight.

Old 12-27-2007, 10:43 AM
Beginning Member
Seabbatical is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the input. I will see about possiblymoving the boat back a few inches, however the trailer is a little small. The stern is at the end of the bunks. I like the idea of stiffening up the rear suspension. Like you said it isn't that bad, but on that day I didn't have anything in the back of the truck. When I go on longer voyages there are many other things in the back of the truck which don't help (beer, sunscreen, rum, etc.) and it looks really not safe. I'm also looking at a transmission cooler. Any suggestions on that?

Thanks,

Old 12-27-2007, 11:42 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

For the rear suspension, you could go to either coil over shocks to add extra capacity to the back or go with air shocks which can be adjusted to maintain proper ride height.

On the trans cooler, we've discussed this in depth in other threads. It used to be that it really didn't matter which one you bought (Imperial/Hayden or B&M), but B&M has since changed their design and it is much better than the others. A 7-1/2 by 11 by 3/4 thick cooler should keep things nice and cool in the tranny. The newer B&M coolers have a bypass that helps to control over cooling of the fluid.

Old 12-27-2007, 12:17 PM
BF Veteran
EuroGoldLS is on a distinguished road

Mine is lower than that when I hook it up to the Carolina skiff. If I doanymore pulling, I'll get some airbags or something.

A trans cooler is a good thing to invest in as long as it has a cold bypass. I had one for a while, but I took it off at the end of the summer because we bought a Suburban to do all our extra pulling with. I didn't have a cold bypass on it either...

Quick Reply: Pic of Ride, do I have "bad" rear suspension?