General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Post-Graduation Moving, U-Haul

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 05:57 PM
ComputerNerdBD is on a distinguished road
Default Post-Graduation Moving, U-Haul

Hey everyone. Well I am supposed to be graduating in December and depending on where I find a job, I will need to contact U-Haul and set something up to move everything from my apartment to wherever I am moving to (either back home or somewhere else). I am considering 2 options and I would like to ask for advice if anyone has done this before. Both options involve the Jimmy and I want to move in a way which will not damage it.

Option 1: I get a big U-haul truck and a car trailer and tow the Jimmy 4 wheels off the ground (NOT the dolly. A full trailer). I put 80% of my stuff in the back of the truck and the rest in the back of the Jimmy. I can also put the cargo box on top and keep the cargo rack on the back to put light stuff on the truck.

Option 2 (and not one I would look forward to): I get a trailer brake controller (I already have a 7-pin/4-pin connector box) and a U-Haul trailer and distribute my stuff between the trailer and the back of the Jimmy. I can get a splitter adapter and put the cargo rack on the back, fold it up and still be able to connect the trailer to the same hitch. Considering that I have almost 122k on this truck, is this something I should rule out? My trans seems fine other than firm shifts at times (especially with the A/C on), but it doesn't get that hot and the fluid is still fine, even though there is a minor leak (which I don't notice much of a difference on the dipstick).

Since towing might be a problem because I have alot of stuff to move, maybe option 1 is the best? Has anyone towed a Blazer/Jimmy like this before? Do U-Haul's trailers have the capacity to carry it? What preparations do I need to make on the truck to prepare it for a 3-5 hour trip? Thanks

Old 09-13-2012, 11:19 PM
May One is on a distinguished road

If you want to do it all in one trip, I'd go for option one, or just have some help and follow the U Haul instead of trailering it. Seems like the most logical choice to me, but thats just my 2 cents,lol.

Old 09-14-2012, 08:19 AM
Super Moderator
rexmburns is a jewel in the roughrexmburns is a jewel in the roughrexmburns is a jewel in the rough

I would say go option one as well. No point in putting all that extra stress on your dd if you don't have to. I'm sure it could handle it but no need to if you don't need to lol.

Old 09-15-2012, 05:04 PM

I guess Option 1 it is then. Truck with stuff and towing the Jimmy. But if I decide to get a small trailer ahead of time (less than a ton total weight) to move unnecessary stuff out of my apartment ahead of time to somewhere else, could I do that (safely and without leaving powertrain parts all over the roadway)? I don't really have any help to move anything. Since a good part of it is computer-related, I wouldn't ask for help with moving anything anyway. Also what special preparations would I have to do to move the truck on the trailer? I notice that with U-Haul trailers the straps are on the front wheels only (in addition to safety chains), but wouldn't that put too much strain on the front end? With over 30" tires they don't even fit properly. Is there a way to also use chains on the frame rails like flatbed tow truck drivers use to secure it to the trailer?

Last edited by ComputerNerdBD; 09-15-2012 at 05:13 PM.
Old 03-14-2013, 12:51 AM

I realize this thread is old, but just FYI for anyone who was following me on this move, I eventually went with the 17' foot truck and auto trailer. Filled the truck and the Jimmy and drove them 200 miles without issue over 2 days as a combination. The trailer light fuse blew on the truck and that delayed me, but otherwise it was a good move. I do believe that the straps possibly messed up the alignment however. I also stopped at every rest stop to check the straps and chains and that was important because they would loosen a little. I put the chains around the A arm up front and around the rear right frame rail for safety. This combo was a bit difficult to turn, but on the highway it was fine. This is the best way to move with a car and an apartment full of stuff. The bigger the truck, the more stable the combination. I would never recommend using the 10' truck for towing a car because the trailer weight alone would make it unstable. I never thought it would go so well and even my family thought something bad was going to happen.

I never thought I would ever drive a Ford, let alone using one to tow a GMC! LOL

Attached Thumbnails Post-Graduation Moving, U-Haul-uhaul-gmc.jpg  

Last edited by ComputerNerdBD; 03-14-2013 at 12:55 AM.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:19 AM
BF Veteran
El_Beautor will become famous soon enoughEl_Beautor will become famous soon enough

Good deal. Glad you made it without any serious issues.

Old 03-14-2013, 10:51 AM
Super Moderator
rexmburns is a jewel in the roughrexmburns is a jewel in the roughrexmburns is a jewel in the rough

Good to see you made the move without serious issue! I hate every second of moving lol!!

Old 03-14-2013, 03:22 PM
Twip will become famous soon enough

so the local u-hauls where i live are a bunch of jerks. if you ever want to rent JUST the car trailer, they want to know whats going to be on it. fair enough. so we tell them that we are going to put a 66 chevelle on it with no motor, no trans. and then they proceed to tell us that our Chevy 3500 Dully cant pull it. that its not safe enough?!?! really? so the 8000 lbs camper on it was a problem? the 20,000 lbs trailer that we used to tow with this very truck was too much?? then i proceed to ask them why. they said that my truck didnt have enough power. sorry, i can put 1200 ft-lbs of torque to the ground...i can, if you want, lay 100 ft of rubber off of all 4 rear tires. so i dont have enough power?
we left, called them back and told them that we were going to be towing a VW bug. all of a sudden, not a problem. some times i just cant stand U-Haul. but their rates arent all that bad.
glad to hear everything went well though.

Old 03-14-2013, 03:34 PM
rexazz2 will become famous soon enough

Uhaul = adventure in moving
Their local rental stuff in this area was pretty ruff
After all the exposure on the news about unsafe trucks they have gotten a bit better
I rented a 30ft a couple years ago to move my Mom , my knee would come up against the steering wheel before I could get my foot off the clutch
The are cheap but I make sure they can not double book the truck for the same day

Old 03-14-2013, 04:49 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

Ya leaving me man???? have a safe trip

Quick Reply: Post-Graduation Moving, U-Haul