General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Powder coating

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 12:16 PM
Brian_D will become famous soon enoughBrian_D will become famous soon enough
Default Powder coating

I am thinking about getting my wheels powder coated black..

Anyone else ever done this? Or perhaps can recommend a better idea?

edit : im painting them.. lol

Well i couldn't wait till tomorrow so i started tonight, lol... i got the fronts done..

2 cans of Grey primer, 2 cans of flat black, 1 can of flat clear coat.. All krylon..

I sanded them down and each wheel has 3 coats of primer, black, flat clear...

here's a few pics of what i got done tonight..

edit : Its done!! pics below!

finished fronts..

FINISHED!!

I love it! hope it lasts a long time lol

Last edited by Brian_D; 11-08-2009 at 05:30 PM.
Old 11-07-2009, 12:18 PM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

There are quite a few people that have done it. Just do a search for powder coating. They turn out really nice and last fairly long from what I hear.
I took the cheap road and spray painted mine. They turned out really nice, but how long they has has yet to be seen. I'm impressed so far though. No dings or scratches even after being forced up on the curb by an idiot driver.

Old 11-07-2009, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by Sisk
There are quite a few people that have done it. Just do a search for powder coating. They turn out really nice and last fairly long from what I hear.
I took the cheap road and spray painted mine. They turned out really nice, but how long they has has yet to be seen. I'm impressed so far though. No dings or scratches even after being forced up on the curb by an idiot driver.
nice! what kinda of paint did you use? and what process did you use? like how many coats and primer? if that's your truck in the sig it looks really nice

Old 11-07-2009, 12:28 PM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

Yeah, that's my truck in the sig.
Click on my sig for my build thread. It details the process (with pics) on how I painted them and what I used (plain old primer and spray paint). There is a contents list in the first post of the build thread so you can skip right to where I painted my rims.

Old 11-07-2009, 01:04 PM

Yeah, that's my truck in the sig.
Click on my sig for my build thread. It details the process (with pics) on how I painted them and what I used (plain old primer and spray paint). There is a contents list in the first post of the build thread so you can skip right to where I painted my rims.
oh nice man!

i think i might try that first since its probably a lot cheaper, and if it ends up looking bad i can always powder coat them later on..

yours look really good

Old 11-07-2009, 01:06 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by Brian_D
oh nice man!

i think i might try that first since its probably a lot cheaper, and if it ends up looking bad i can always powder coat them later on..

yours look really good
Thanks man. You can't really go wrong for a mod like that under $20. For added protection you could put a few coats of clear onto them. It will definitely prolong the life of the paint job. I opted not to do it since I was going for a flat black look.

Old 11-07-2009, 01:09 PM

Thanks man. You can't really go wrong for a mod like that under $20. For added protection you could put a few coats of clear onto them. It will definitely prolong the life of the paint job. I opted not to do it since I was going for a flat black look.
yeah i was just thinking that i use clear coat on alot of my acrylic paintings i do and i really dont want them to shine like my paintings.. im wanting that flat look also.. my truck is red now i really would like that flat look on my truck too i want to have it all blacked out.. like gun metal black perhaps.

Old 11-07-2009, 01:13 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by Brian_D
yeah i was just thinking that i use clear coat on alot of my acrylic paintings i do and i really dont want them to shine like my paintings.. im wanting that flat look also.. my truck is red now i really would like that flat look on my truck too i want to have it all blacked out.. like gun metal black perhaps.
They make a flat clear coat that would work. The shops around here were out of it at the time I painted mine, so I never ended up clearing them, but it might be something you could look at doing just for that added protection. That way they will be protected but not shiny.

Old 11-07-2009, 01:14 PM

They make a flat clear coat that would work. The shops around here were out of it at the time I painted mine, so I never ended up clearing them, but it might be something you could look at doing just for that added protection. That way they will be protected but not shiny.
oh nice i didn't know that, thanks!

Old 11-07-2009, 04:18 PM

if i can get hold of some jack stands im gonna do mine tomorrow
im also getting new tires soon i wonder if they will potentially scrape them up
when changing them out...

Quick Reply: Powder coating