General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Prep for vary cold night

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 10:35 AM
SmokeU is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Prep for vary cold night

gona be -30f tonight so is there anything i should do to prep for tonight or not?

another thing I'm worried about is my electronics like my amp, subs, and the deck. Will the cold do anything to them or not? I asked befor in a different post but it wasent as cold back then only like -10f so this is frezzing cold

my power mechanics teacher said to fill the tank and that when i start it to just let it sit and idle for a bit befor driving off

Old 01-29-2008, 02:17 PM
cliro is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Prep for vary cold night

if you got a block heater plug it in, full tank of gas with some gas line antifreeze. no need to worry about electronics. if you run synthetics that helps also.

Old 01-29-2008, 07:38 PM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

Just do NOT crank up the stereo and you'll be fine.
The amps aren't going to have a problem... It's the speakers and subs that will.

If you don't have a block heater, I'd reccoment letting your truck sit with a charger over night... You're gonna need some good starting oomph... Especially if you've got the AC Delco battery.

You don't NEED a block heater at that temperature, but it's easier on the vehicle.

And dress up

Old 01-29-2008, 08:22 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

Wasn't there an earlier post about in the extreme cold parking a certain way if you're on an incline? I thought it was front end higher than back end to keep oil at the pump at start up..could be wrong though.

Old 01-29-2008, 08:53 PM
calgsblaza is an unknown quantity at this point

It was -35 celsius last night here (about - 31 f) and I did not plug my blazer in. It started second crank no problem at all. Gotta love GM

Old 01-29-2008, 09:08 PM
yukonmedic is an unknown quantity at this point

it's only going to -30? just put a coat on! kidding.... seriously tho, the best advice i can give is plug in if you have a block heater. i'm currently driving a P.O.S. government vehicle (ford explorer) until i pick up my jimmy this weekend, and it's -48C (or -54F) up here. With it plugged in at night i've never had a problem starting it, but definitely let it run for a few minutes (8-10min if you can spare it), and even then take it easy for the first few miles.

your engine will be warmed up from the block heater/idling, but you're tranny sure as hell won't be...thats one thing i noticed once it dropped below -30C, that you'll feel like you hit a pothole on the first few shifts, and it's probly not good at all on the gears, so just take it slow until you get some of that jello-like fluid warmed up and circulating.

i agree with cliro, definitely get a full tank of gas, and don't forget the gas-line antifreeze. you definitely don't want to find out the hard way that you got a little water in your gas and it froze up your lines. be very careful how full you get your tank tho, once the pump handle stops, don't squeeze out that extra few dollars. i was used to doing that back home, and i filled up the ambulance at work last week and once we parked it back in the nice warm garage the freezing cold diesel expanded and we got a nice puddle of fuel on the floor.

my last piece of advice is lube up your door locks, get a nice lube/de-icer combo (there are plenty at any hardware store) and give the locks a squirt ahead of time, to make sure that you can get in the next day....all the prep in the world to keep the motor/fluid warm won't do you any good if you can't get in!

hope all this helps!

-Yukon Medic

Old 01-29-2008, 10:24 PM
94blueknight is on a distinguished road

u should be fine i rem last yr when we had that week of below zero temps where it would get to -30*F below zero and that was the actual temp not the wind chill and it was like that for a week and i didnt do anything to my blazer it was just parked in my driveway as usual and it started up fine just cranked a lil longer but started right up took awhile to warm up too lol gm ingintion systems are powerful! i had no metal tip in my cap and my engine ran fine lol

Old 01-30-2008, 02:56 AM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

ORIGINAL: WolfPack

Wasn't there an earlier post about in the extreme cold parking a certain way if you're on an incline? I thought it was front end higher than back end to keep oil at the pump at start up..could be wrong though.
If your oil is low enough that your truck has to sit a certain way for the pump to be able to suck up oil, you have WAY more issues than it being cold out

Doesn't really matter how you park...

The only difference is, if your grill is facing the wind, it's going to take longer to warm up.

Old 01-30-2008, 09:44 AM
94blueknight is on a distinguished road

well this morn it was -10*F out w/ a windchill of -35 and the blazer started up just fine a lil low tho but duh its figgin cold out!! the cold doesnt matter to my blazer

Old 01-30-2008, 10:40 AM
SmokeU is an unknown quantity at this point

it started up just fine so yeah...

Quick Reply: Prep for vary cold night