General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 07:33 PM
blznlowxtreme is an unknown quantity at this point
Default problem

not sure what is causing this problem so not sure where to post it. for some reason the left rear tire on my blazer keeps wearing really bad on the inside and the right rear show a little wear on the inside also but no near as bad. i know its not air pressure, bad wheels, i have had 3 sets of wheels and tire and they have alll done it so far. my shocks are not worn out yet but are getting old, they have125k on them. my step dad has looked at it and he isnt sure what is causing it and he has been a mechanic off and on for a long time now and was a gm mechanic for about 7 years and it was when my blazer came out and he has worked on many of them. at first he thought it may be an allignment issue but looked and it cant be alligned in the rear. he said maybe a combo between the shock getting old and maybe leaf springs sagging some might be the cause but not for sure. anybody else had this problem or have any input? i am just guessing here but could it be something like the half shaft is maybe warped a little bit or something like that?

Old 11-28-2007, 08:58 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: problem

Has the truck ever been hit? Sounds like something is out of whack in the back end...

Worn shocks wouldn't cause one edge of the tire to wear more than the other... Shocks could make the tires wear very odd across the tread, but it is not typically uniform all the way around the tire.

Another thing... Have these tires always been on the back?

Old 11-29-2007, 04:26 PM

thats what my step dad said about the shocks . yes these tires have only been on the back as well as the other 3 set tha had been on it. it has been hit but it was just a a small deal and it was just behind the drivers door. i dont really think it would have knocked anything out of wack. it happened before i bought it but i bought it from a friend and i know how it was hit. do you think i caould have a warped half shaft on the driver's side? it takes it about 8000 or maybe a little more miles for irt to really start showing.

Old 11-29-2007, 05:17 PM
Tippman7641 is an unknown quantity at this point

well go to townfiar tire habve it laser aligned, i think its free, it is where i work anyways, but when we get wear patters like that its usually becasue of over or under infaltion, wrong rim(too small), it could jsut be the actual tire< im assuming thos are low profile? most low profile tires we do the tread is almost gone afther a 100K, i personally dont know why, and i dont think thats the case in urs since its only one,, but i think you know the correct psi and all thenonsense, so have it looked at by a couple people, double cheak the rim size and if the tire is seated properly on the bead

Old 11-29-2007, 05:33 PM

HEY TIPPMAN- this not the only set that has done it. i have 3 different sets of wheels on my blazer, they all have done. and the current tire calls fora 8.5 eide rim and thats what mine are, its not air pressure, have plyed with that and irt dont change. its something more in depth than bad tires or wheels i woud agree w/ you if it only done it to this set of tires but it has done it to all of them.

Old 11-29-2007, 09:56 PM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about

Is it possible to post a pic?
Is it cupping or feather edged, if you run your hand along it is it kinda smooth in one direction and grab your hand in the other direction?
Do you get any vibration at any speed while driving?

How do ya like that, you ask a question and I ask you three?!!!

Old 12-01-2007, 09:12 AM

ORIGINAL: Chevy Lover

Is it possible to post a pic?
Is it cupping or feather edged, if you run your hand along it is it kinda smooth in one direction and grab your hand in the other direction?
Do you get any vibration at any speed while driving?

How do ya like that, you ask a question and I ask you three?!!!
lol yea i was looking for answers not questions. just kidding, its feathering the inside edge. i get a bad vibration at speeds about 80+ but other than that not really any vibrations. it doesn't grab my hand either way i run my tire over my hand it just hurts. lol j/k it feels smooth in both directions. i have these pix but they are with a cell phone i dont have my camera today my parents took it to the titans game this weekend. sorry hopefully these will help if not i will some more this week when i have my camera
the 1st pic is the outside of the tire and 2nd is the inside you can tell the difference. and its only wearing that inside part the rest is fine

Old 12-01-2007, 12:58 PM
Beginning Member
95blackblaze is an unknown quantity at this point

If you don't rotate your tires, the left rear will wear faster than the others. As for the wear on the insides - check the axle tubes,they may be bent. eg minor accident, sliding in to a curb. You are lowered so you may have hit your bump stops a little hard from time to time.

Old 12-01-2007, 01:20 PM

ORIGINAL: 95blackblaze

If you don't rotate your tires, the left rear will wear faster than the others. As for the wear on the insides - check the axle tubes,they may be bent. eg minor accident, sliding in to a curb. You are lowered so you may have hit your bump stops a little hard from time to time.
i dont hit the bump stops ever. it was not slid into a curb either, the whole tire is not wearing fast as you can see in the pix
just curious how you come up w/ the left rear tire will wear faster? i just haven't ever heard that before

Old 12-01-2007, 02:12 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I have to agree... There is nothing that I can think of that would determine that the left rear tire would wear faster than any other tire unless you are either always spinning the tires or always making right turns...

Yeah, that is pretty bad. So it was hit on the driver's side... I'm wondering if the rear axle is still square with the frame. A 4-wheel alignment would tell you if it were out of line, but you should be able to check for a large discrepancy with a tape measure. Pick an identifying point on the frame that is the same on both sides. Measure forward from the inner lip of the rim to this point. If you see a difference, something has shifted in the back. I'm betting the measurement will be longer on the driver's side.

Quick Reply: problem